cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reasonably priced LTE plans?

FrostyButters
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The only LTE plan availble is the Data only 1GB LTE plan.

It would be nice to either have all plans at current prices on LTE speeds, or pay a small fee for upgrade to LTE ($5 a month?). The only LTE plan availble is the Data only 1GB LTE plan.

The build your own plan options do offer LTE speeds but are more expensive than Koodo plans.

15 REPLIES 15

I was fortunate to get that spectacular 2016 offer for 12 GB over 90 days full LTE Speed.  It’s great, and when I compare it to what I was paying with Big Red and the Orange company, I was saving between $30 and $50 per month (approximately), and right now, it’s insane how much I’m saving.

I skipped on the offers to move to Koodo for “the same deal” or in some case what some would consider a better deal, but with the known savings I would be getting in loyalty, AutoPay, community and friend referrals, the math just didn’t make sense to switch.

I don’t use a lot of data.  I could get by with a whole lot less.  I don’t need the speed either, I know the 3G like speeds are fine, but why would I give up my plan to make use of the slower speeds?

jor123
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Rpullar wrote:

If you need more speed set your phone to 2g/3g in the settings. I can get upto 25Mbps but find the network isn't as good so only switch over when I need the extra speed. Otherwise I stay on the 4g network

I find the latency is much higher on the HSPA network (in Atlantic Canada at least). Congestion? I think they may have decommissioned DC-HSPA in favor of band 2 LTE? Could be wrong

ddh

Of course they can have same plans as Koodo or Telus.  I expect this because the way the company works, no brick and mortar, no call center, less overhead, etc. like a beta testing company, which I'm fine with, but in exchange of those things, I expect to be able to save a bit of money.  The plans don't 'have to' suck.

@FrostyButtersAnother potential data point you can glean is from the LTE network equipment expediture each provider has been spending.. it has been trending down since the network build out has been completed. So they now are in the phase to maximize profit via quantity of susbscribers, I would expect price to fall but you can never accurate time it. Could be tomorrow, could be 2020 or beyond.

FrostyButters

@GinYVR wrote:

@FrostyButtersNo one other than Public Mobile or Telus higher ups know to be honest.

I understand. I'm hoping someone from PM will see this post and comment. Thanks

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It would be nice if Public Mobile was competitive once again in the full speed LTE offerings.  That was what put them on the map back in fall 2016.  Unfortunately, the past will never be repeated again as the monopoly has decided to use their third tier brand to perpetuate in a different marketing scheme.  Regardless of the usability of the throttled LTE, anyone wishing to purchase full speed LTE plans really ought to go somewhere else.  There are options that are affordable even if not offered by a Telus brand.  Out of respect for this forum which is principally a help forum, I am not going to go any deeper into the shopping aspects.  We can take this discussion to more appropriate shopping forums or offline.  

@FrostyButtersNo one other than Public Mobile or Telus higher ups know to be honest.

FrostyButters

Thanks for the reply's everyone.

I understand that PM is capped at 3G speeds and uses TELUS LTE network. The 3Mb limit is, for the most part OK for my usage. It would just be a much better experience with full LTE speeds to download apps, check my home security video footage, etc.

I'm seriously considering moving to the Koodo $55 plan

My question still stands for PM to answer. Will PM offer reasonable LTE plans in the near future?

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The expensive plans are expensive at first. When you factor in all the rewards it's going to get cheaper. If you use the community fourms enough and help people you can get up to $20 off your plan. Autopay is $2 off and every referral is $1 off. Plus don't forget for every year your a member you get $1 off up to $5 and 5 years. I know people who pay $50 originally and with rewards now pay $35

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@FrostyButtersIf you want full LTE speed at a resonable price.. currently only EPP usually via apps like perkopolis (ie if you or anyone in your extended family work for a large employer or government groups /hospitals / unions) offer deals like $400 for an iPhone XR or equivalent and 10GB/unlimited LTE Robellus plans for $55-60 a month. Sell the subsidised phone you will be paying substantially less per month YMMV. So it is worth to check your HR if you work for an organisation that offers one.

For people paying Public Mobile $45+/month, I don't think they have researched enough. A downside to having freedom of choice I suppose.

Just because the brand is positioned as value oriented, doesn't mean every plan is.

Rpullar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

If you need more speed set your phone to 2g/3g in the settings. I can get upto 25Mbps but find the network isn't as good so only switch over when I need the extra speed. Otherwise I stay on the 4g network

oglat
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ChuckYeah wrote:

My oldest son is on a plan very similar to this.koodo4gb.PNG

He pays $57 a month. He gets $2 off for auto pay and he gets $1 off per month for his referral. So in the end he's actually paying $54. Cheaper, yes! But I'm still tring to get him to switch to the same plan with 3G at $40. I honestly don't feel he'd notice that much difference and save $17 per month. You should try 3G too. It will likely save you money without any measurable difference in service, imo.

Let him use yours to see the difference. 

My oldest son is on a plan very similar to this.koodo4gb.PNG

He pays $57 a month. He gets $2 off for auto pay and he gets $1 off per month for his referral. So in the end he's actually paying $54. Cheaper, yes! But I'm still tring to get him to switch to the same plan with 3G at $40. I honestly don't feel he'd notice that much difference and save $17 per month. You should try 3G too. It will likely save you money without any measurable difference in service, imo.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@FrostyButters wrote:

It would be nice to either have all plans at current prices on LTE speeds, or pay a small fee for upgrade to LTE ($5 a month?). The only LTE plan availble is the Data only 1GB LTE plan.

The build your own plan options do offer LTE speeds but are more expensive than Koodo plans.

@FrostyButters You do realize that even if it says 3G you actually connecting to the LTE network for data and texting. It's just throttled to 3Mbps. What are you running that requires more than that?

The LTE Lite speed is adequate for most uses if you need more speed best to move on up. 🙂

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@FrostyButters wrote:

PM is the Third tier Provider from Telus so their competition is Lucky and Chatr.  They can't offer prices better than the "Big Sister" Koodo that would create Havoc!!  Which they did in the fall of 2016 90 days 12GB LTE for $120

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.