cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual SIM MMS

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well this got zero interest in my older thread. Maybe a new thread is what is needed.

So I _finally_ got a phone that does what I want with dual SIM and NFC. I wrote about my adventures in the lounge. It's a Samsung A31.

And hey when I was looking elsewhere for this question I stumbled across srlawren in a OnePlus forum from 2016.

So...single SIM allows automatic tx/rx of MMS without actually manually turning on data. But now with the dual SIM's it seems I have to manually turn it on. If I get an MMS on SIM 1, my phone is set to do data on SIM 2, I turn on data and I presume it uses that SIM to rx. If I get an MMS on SIM 2 it still doesn't do anything automatically and I turn on data and it comes in.

Is this normal behaviour with dual SIM's?

The setting is set to do the automatic tx/rx.

44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you popping. I was wondering if you might appear.

Yes. That's what I have. SIM 1 calls/texts. SIM 2 data. They're both on the $10 plan so I'll switch to SIM 2 for texts if and when I run out on SIM 1. That was all perfectly explained by you in my older thread back in July.

Both accounts have data. By setting SIM 2 for data, turning on data will use SIM 2. All good.

But now...MMS...

The phone is running A10.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I configure one SIM for call/text only and the other SIM for data only on my A5 Pro.

I enable data on both SIMs.  I have 7GB data add-on on the call/text only SIM and my A5 Pro have not used any add-on data yet for the last 10 months.

BTW, I am running Android 9 on my A5 Pro 

But A5 Pro does not have NFC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious 

Yes.

An MMS comes in to either number on either SIM. I should think it would use the setting that is set to flip in/out of cell data. And use whichever SIM is set to use data regardless of which SIM the MMS came in on. When I turn it on manually, it uses that SIM and the MMS comes in.

It worked perfectly on my old S7 with single-SIM. No effort. The MMS just showed up magically.

@Anonymous 

Alright so help my non techie mind understand your intent. So with mobile data turned off without any extra fiddling you'd expect to be able to send and recieve MMS on both phone lines in each sim card slot?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @darlicious . I am aware of that method as well. I had that figured out on my S7. But with the automatic flip in/out of cell data it wasn't necessary.

I'm not worried about a little data consumption. I've done what I can to minimize data use. It's the hard labour of having to turn it on and off that irks. 🙂 But I get so few MMS's that it's not life-altering.

It's a function of the phone that I think should work. So I asked the community if this was normal with the difference being dual SIM having come from a single SIM phone where it worked.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

I'm assuming you want to send/recieve MMS without the risk of your apps accidently using data without your knowledge? Or you want to figure out why this automatic setting doesnt seem to work? Anyhow i found this if it helps....

Android - MMS Without Data
  1. Push the menu button and pick Settings.
  2. Pick "Wireless & networks"
  3. Pick "Mobile networks"
  4. Make sure "Data enabled" is checked (MMS won't work either if you disable it here!)
  5. Go to "Access Point Names" ...
  6. Scroll down to the "APN type" setting. ...
  7. Change its value to be only "mms".
  8. Push the menu button and pick "Save."

This will allow you to send and recieve MMS but prevent your apps from accessing the internet. But if you want to troubleshoot and test your original request when im online with a similar phone I'll test it out with you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks gpixel4. I don't seem to have a reset network settings there. I found reset to default under APN but that doesn't seem right. So I didn't. I've wandered around and I can't find a reset network. I'll keep looking.

But that's a great find. We'll see what comes of it when I can finish it.

Edit: @gpixel: found it. Settings/General management/Reset - done it. about to restart. I just wanted to let you know I found it.

Edit: @gpixel : ok so how serious do you think that last step was? I power cycled. Turned the setting back on and tested from TextNow (after re-doing the wifi). Same result.

So I did not test with it off or from another phone.

And now I'm done for the night. Thanks. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

@Anonymous i found a thread with some troubleshooting, try it out. if there are seperate settings for both, try doing it at the same time

- goto messages> three dot menu > settings > more settings > Mulitmedia messages> turn OFF Auto retrieve..

THEN

- Settings > connections > More connection settings > Reset network settings

THEN

- reboot > test out from another phone > message will not auto download, now go back to the Auto retrieve and turn it ON.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose it could very well be a bug and it just doesn't work as advertised.

I'll leave this to see if anyone else has additional thoughts (if they happen to see this and choose to respond of course 🙂 )

@Anonymous wrote:

It's an A31. It has the setting. The older S7 did too. The S7 worked.

I can still turn data on and it will do the tx/rx. But it should do it automatically.

So I was asking if it was normal behaviour with dual SIM before I tear my hair out trying to figure it out. 🙂

I don't have a dual sim card phone, but I would say that this is normal behavior (for any A31 running the same device software version) as this is how the device acts when you place the sim card into slot 2. Save for changing the sim card slot being used, waiting for Samsung to fix this bug, or making your own or installing a custom ROM, I don't see there being anything that you can do about this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's an A31. It has the setting. The older S7 did too. The S7 worked.

I can still turn data on and it will do the tx/rx. But it should do it automatically.

So I was asking if it was normal behaviour with dual SIM before I tear my hair out trying to figure it out. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

My S7 did. This phone seems to have the same setting. The difference (amongst a zillion things) is dual SIM.

It was pretty convenient not to have to turn on data. MMS would just work.

But now not.

Look for it on your Galaxy A8 (2018). There's not such setting on the Canadian variant.

If something doesn't work as indicated in the settings as on your current device, that's bad software programming.  I wouldn't expect Samsung to look to much into this, as there are going to be very few users with smartphones who will want to leave data turned off.

I do suspect that people making custom device software might be working on this software bug.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My S7 did. This phone seems to have the same setting. The difference (amongst a zillion things) is dual SIM.

It was pretty convenient not to have to turn on data. MMS would just work.

But now not.

@Anonymous

I would say that it far from normal for a phone to be able to send or receive MMS with the data setting set to off. As for the setting to allow MMS while data is turned off, I would say that this is nothing more than a software issue, and doubt that it has anything to do with a phone having two sim card slots.

Need Help? Let's chat.