cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Changing over to a different phone

Hello,

I currently have been with Public mobile for a year or two now, and I have a new used phone I would like to change over to. I'm wondering how I go about doing this. Can I take the same sim card out of my other phone and just start using it? Can I keep the same number?

Thanks.

Re: Changing over to a different phone

Would like to confirm this before I go ahead and pay to unlock my new phone.

Thanks alot Smiley Happy

Oracle

Switching phones is as easy as taking out the SIM card from the old phone and putting it into the new phone.  The APN settings may need to be checked and corrected if the Public Mobile APN configuration isn't found in the database on the phone.  That is about it.  BTW, depending on the phone and the carrier source, paying for an unlock code may not be necessary as carriers are required to unlock phones after December 1, 2017.

Just make sure it works on the same frequencies / bandwidth of PM. As long as that is the case, it should work with PM after unlocking.

Oracle

wrote:

Just make sure it works on the same frequencies / bandwidth of PM. As long as that is the case, it should work with PM after unlocking.

Good point!  OP said that the new phone has already been acquired.  I kind of overlooked this.  It is important to mention that we have to be mindful of band compatibility.  There could be a shocking surprise when the new phone won't connect to the network.

Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

wrote:

Hello,

I currently have been with Public mobile for a year or two now, and I have a new used phone I would like to change over to. I'm wondering how I go about doing this. Can I take the same sim card out of my other phone and just start using it? Can I keep the same number?

Thanks.

You got good advice from @SASH and @will13am, just want to add that yes you will keep the same number, same plan, etc. All good! Smiley Happy

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

One more thing to consider is the SIM card.  Depending on the phones, they might use different SIM card sizes.  The new PM SIM cards come with adapters, but I don't think the older ones did.  Might be forced to get a new SIM card, or cut down the old one.

Mayor / Maire

When you switch phones, nothing changes for the customer at the account level.  You will need to make sure that the new phone is compatible, and make sure that you have the correctly sized sim card for that phone model.  Additionally, you may have to manually configure settings such as SMSC, APN, and voicemail retrieval numbers.

Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You will need to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, giving them your phone number and 4 digit PIN, Account email address.
or make call to public mobile by phone at 1-877-999-5055 , different phone to you can talk with team services to help you
Detailed explanation of specific your issue .
them can help you a lot nice team service

good luck

Mayor / Maire

wrote:

You will need to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, giving them your phone number and 4 digit PIN, Account email address.
or make call to public mobile by phone at 1-877-999-5055 , different phone to you can talk with team services to help you
Detailed explanation of specific your issue .
them can help you a lot nice team service

good luck

thanks for trying to help out

But, there's absolutely no need for any customer to contact a moderator to switch phones.  There is absolutely nothing that changes on a customer's account when it comes to payment or plans, or any of that.  A customer simply puts the sim card into a new compatible phone and start using it.