cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APN setting with iphone 4 (ios 7)

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I have been with public but a couple of months now and I really like it. Problem is I just added data onto my phone and realize everything else works including wifi, phone, messages etc except for the internet.

I think its an APN issues, and iphone 4 (ios7) doesn't give me the option to change the APN setting. 

I would rather not use unlockit or jailbreak my phone, is there any other way to get around this issues please? 

Thanks in advance!

14 REPLIES 14

@allochris wrote:

when u guys manage to get your data on iphone4 to work, does that include being able to send /receive picture messages by text?

@allochris 

People manage to get data working, but no MMS messaging unfortunately. 

Here is is another good thread:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119/highlight...

allochris
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

when u guys manage to get your data on iphone4 to work, does that include being able to send /receive picture messages by text?

KoenigsTiger

Thank you very much 

I got my iPhone 4 to work 🙂

johnnyredsand

Old post, but this just helped me get my dads iPhone 4s working, after a week with no data!

Ferlea
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

worked perfectly with this additional info, thanks so much. now i feel like a hacker!

@Ferlea Connect your phone to wifi then using Safari visit http://www.unlockit.co.nz and follow the instructions on the screen. You should see this picture. Click "Create APN" and install it.

IMG_0927.PNG

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Ferlea
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Luddite, this iphone4 link only shows the settings, it didn't help me, did I do something wrong? Thanks so much.

Chris_M

The only way to manually set APN on an iphone 4/4s without jailbreaking the phone is to use Apple Configurator software.  If you currently own a MAC it is available here.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/apple-configurator-2/id1037126344?mt=12

and here are the instuctions to set up a new APN profile to then install on your iphone 4/4s

http://www.imore.com/manually-set-iphone-ipad-carrier-apn-iphone-configuration-utility

Another option would be to see if the apple store can help you with this at their genius bar, as without a jailbreak or thsis softeware manual entry of the correct APN is not possible on iphone 4/4s

@pmg55300 That was a good way to connect your iPhone 4 to the internet. 

Congratulations getting your services to work properly.

pmg55300

The Iphone 4 does work contrary to what anyone says. I went through the issue for a couple of weeks and got no where. I had already committed to 90 dollars of a plan. I looked for other phones on the net as I was just goig to throw the Iphone 4 away out of sheer non performance stress.

The solution is to find a kid with an android phone, probably under 25 years old. He creates a hotspot using his phone and connects your Iphone 4 to it. Let him fiddle for 10-15 minutes. Do not ask any questions during this time. He will be everywhere all at once so you will have no clue to repeat this action ever. I do know your Iphone itself has to connect to NZ site and Google. You cannot as I saw just plug the Iphone 4 into the computer and expect to get any results searching endlessly and download to the dead phone.

end of story.

@newbie Still a good phone but now has age related quirks. That's usually when I give up on a device and upgrade.

If you are investigating upgrades do check out Orchard PM The big advantage of the PM versions over Orchard's regular offer is a new battery - $100 to replace at Apple. 

Happy to help, even though not your preferred solution.

Thank you for your help!

Originally I was hoping theres another way around (other than unlockit or jailbreak), but I guess not

thanks @Luddite and @J5!

@newbie iPhone 4 APN settings cannot be updated manually. You will need to connect to wifi, access APN iPhone 4 with Safari, then follow the directions there. 

Let us know how you make out.

Good luck.

J5

Hello @newbie

Welcome to Public Mobile, I also recently signed up with PM. Everything was working properly for me when I set it up. 

Have you tried resetting the phone by holding down the home and power button at the same time? 

Sometimes that fixes network issues. 

Let me know if that works! 

Thanks 

Need Help? Let's chat.