cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Alternate Phone Number and Authorization Name?

smashthosepies
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just activated the Public Mobile sim I got during the promotion. According to [this], it was best to port your number after activation.

However, during activation, one of the required fields is "Alternate Phone" and "Authorization Name". I don't know exactly what this is asking for and I do not want to make any assumptions.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
That's why they should read like you did. When doing something for the first time, you should do a little research. It paid off for you. It is a self serve carrier after all.

smashthosepies

@kav2001c wrote:

@UDP7 wrote:

I don't understand why Public Mobile doesn't write something on that porting page about things like this. Would probably prevent a lot of failed ports if they just added a bit of extra info on what field means what.

To be fair, this is industry practise

All providers do not want the dashes/punctuation marks

Very few actually state so

To be fair as well, most consumers are unaware of industry practices. I've never had to deal with these things prior to the Public mobile promotion. 🙂

@UDP7 wrote:

I don't understand why Public Mobile doesn't write something on that porting page about things like this. Would probably prevent a lot of failed ports if they just added a bit of extra info on what field means what.

To be fair, this is industry practise

All providers do not want the dashes/punctuation marks

Very few actually state so

Rockdaddy22
If people just asked questions about things they don't understand before porting, it would probably prevent a lot of failed ports. That being said, I fully agree with you.

UDP7
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

RLBL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@computergeek541 wrote:

@smashthosepies wrote:

My account number with Wind mobile has dashes in it. Would you know if that affects things?

Update: removed the dashes with the account number and was told that the port was successful.

The dashes would likely make the port fail if Public let the request go through.  Also, the "successful" message on the Public website means nothing - it just means that Public has received your request.  As mentioned, you'll know when it really is successful when Public sends you a text message saying that it is.  Also, incoming calls and text messages will also start working.

Just a tip for anyone trying to port from Public to Wind:  There's no need to manually type in the account number.  Things such as errors in typing in captial/small letters, zeroes vs. the letter "O", hyphens, or even the user just seeing the numbers wrong in a long string of them can all cause porting problems.  Simply log into your Wind online account and then use your mouse/touchpad to copy and paste the Wind account number

Best advice I have seen.  100% foolproof (unless you fail and copy/paste)

@smashthosepies wrote:

My account number with Wind mobile has dashes in it. Would you know if that affects things?

Update: removed the dashes with the account number and was told that the port was successful.

The dashes would likely make the port fail if Public let the request go through.  Also, the "successful" message on the Public website means nothing - it just means that Public has received your request.  As mentioned, you'll know when it really is successful when Public sends you a text message saying that it is.  Also, incoming calls and text messages will also start working.

Just a tip for anyone trying to port from Public to Wind:  There's no need to manually type in the account number.  Things such as errors in typing in captial/small letters, zeroes vs. the letter "O", hyphens, or even the user just seeing the numbers wrong in a long string of them can all cause porting problems.  Simply log into your Wind online account and then use your mouse/touchpad to copy and paste the Wind account number. 

Rockdaddy22
It's nice to see someone ask questions before making mistakes. Usually people come after.

mimmo

Glad to hear it. Welcome to PM.  Remember you shoudl get a sms from PM sying port was successfull.  until then you will likley only have outgoing calls and sms from PM no incoming. your wind number should still work until the port is complete, 10 mins -4 hours.  power cycle your phone once in a while as well.

if you dont get incoming calls then your port got hungup and you will need to contact a moderator.

As a side note this is a great exdamle on how the PM model is supposed to work

1) try to solve the problem in the community first

2) if there is no solution found  then tag ONE of the mods, and aned them a private message with private account information if needed.

smashthosepies

@mimmo My account number with Wind mobile has dashes in it. Would you know if that affects things?

Thanks for all the help, everyone! 🙂

mimmo

try a different browser or incognito mode.

this is what a friend sent me the other day, not sure its the exact same message but...

Set up the plan and got temp number as you suggested. Tried several times to port over cell number and I would get an error code at "check eligibility ". Tried today on a different computer and it said request to port number was successful.

smashthosepies

@computergeek541 @mimmo thanks so much! I made sure to copy the name as it is on my existing account. Hopefully that would reduce errors.

Unfortunately all I got was "We are experiencing difficulties in processing this request. Please contact Public Mobile for additional assistance." Better luck next time I guess aha.

mimmo

I agree with @computergeek541. Make sure its the exactly the same as the your old account.

@smashthosepies wrote:

I want to be the only one with access to my account so should I just put my name as the Authorized name? Also, does this have to be reflective of what's in record with my former Telco?

The authorization name during activation is only on the porting form and  is just the name of the customer of the old provider's account.  I don't believe that Public Mobile even asks for a name of a secondary person allowed to make changes to the account at all, at least not that I can recall from when I activated my account.

smashthosepies

Hey @kav2001c, thanks for replying.

I want to be the only one with access to my account so should I just put my name as the Authorized name? Also, does this have to be reflective of what's in record with my former Telco?

mimmo

I thought Authorization Name,  was the old account name.

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Alt number is simply a different number they can contact you on if any issues. I don't think it is ever used truthfully.

Authorized name is to grant someone else access (eg wife) to the account in your name

Need Help? Let's chat.