cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BesVic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Unwanted connection to US Network

Hello, whenever I switch on my phone at home (in Victoria BC) a get a message "Welcome to the USA", which means, my phone connected to a network in Washington State. 

How can I connect my phone to Public Mobile ?

Thank you

BesVic

Accepted Solutions
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: Unwanted connection to US Network

@BesVic : Your phone is probably set to pick a network automatically. AT&T and T-Mobile are roaming partners so they're saying hello with a probably stronger signal. This is a problem for people along the border. You'll need to manually scan for networks, select Public Mobile and don't have it on automatic.

Then if and when you go to the states, you'll need to switch it back to automatic or select either of the US networks.

View solution in original post

All Replies
S--S
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

# You will need to manually scan for network

select network manually

1.Press Settings.
2.Press Mobile Data.
3.Press Network Selection.
To select network manually, press the indicator next to "Automatic" until the function is deactivated.
Press the required network select Public Mobile,

# 2 do one thing take your SIM card out and waiting for a minute and put it back and do rebooting your phone is will working,

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

Good Luck

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

@BesVic : Your phone is probably set to pick a network automatically. AT&T and T-Mobile are roaming partners so they're saying hello with a probably stronger signal. This is a problem for people along the border. You'll need to manually scan for networks, select Public Mobile and don't have it on automatic.

Then if and when you go to the states, you'll need to switch it back to automatic or select either of the US networks.

View solution in original post

@BesVic 

Your only way to prevent roaming is to manually set the network that you wish to connect to. The steps pointed out by z10user4 will prevent the phone from connecting to any other network.

Before anyone says this, disabling data roaming does not prevent a phone for connecting to a roaming network. It only prevents data use while roaming.

@S--S 

APN settings are unreleated to which network a device connects to.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@BesVic 

Re Android:

1. Select Settings.
  2. Then Mobile Networks (if your device is running Android Lollipop, you will need to choose More Networks, then Mobile Networks)
  3. Then Network Operators.
  4. Choose the Public Mobile network.

Re iPhone:

1.  Select Settings. 
  2.  Then Cellular. 
  3.  Then Cellular Network.
  4.  Toggle the slider to turn off automatic network selection.
  5.  Wait while the iPhone searches for networks. 
  6.  The available networks will be listed.
  7.  Select Public Mobile.

BKNS27

@BesVic 

It sounds like your roaming setting is enabled. Go into your phone setting>cellular>cellular data option>disable data roaming.

The network selection should display PM.

gpixel4
Mayor / Maire

@S--S lol getting a little carried away...

if you hadn't of put the APN settings I would of gave you a bravo

stevenanto

I remember someone else having the same exact issue around christmas time. I would have to try and see if I can recover that thread

@BKNS27 wrote:

@BesVic 

It sounds like your roaming setting is enabled. Go into your phone setting>cellular>cellular data option>disable data roaming.

The network selection should display PM.

As stated previously, the data roaming setting is unrelated to the preventing a device from connecting to a specific cellular network. Please note that disabling data roaming will not stop a phone from roaming.  it only prvents data use while roaming. The desired network  (Public Mobile in this case) must be manually set to prevent roaming.

AE_Collector
Mayor / Maire

But... since there is NO CHANCE that you will be charged for roaming since PM is Prepaid, it wouldn’t worry about it too much assuming you get a connection on PM elsewhere around Victoria. Every time I go to Point Roberts WA (not very often lately...14 months and counting...) I get that message but my calls go thorough just the same. Telus has a Border Zone agreement to hand off calls across the immediate border area as cell signals don’t respect geographic boundaries. I am not certain how data use is handled though.....

AE_Collector

Need Help? Let's chat.