cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Fido

kodalux
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My term with fido end Dec 29...and I want to port my number over to PM just before term ends.  Fido told me there's a $41.58 charge to port a number before term ends.  Am I cutting things to close if I do the porting on the day of fido expiry?  How long does the whole process take?  I'd like to avoid paying the $40 bucks if I could...total rip off.

5 REPLIES 5

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kodalux  to be safe port out a couple of days after you receive the final bill showing the remaining balance, then port out.  You have endured long enough that a couple of days isn't the end of the world.  Post paid services charge by the day, prorated based on the cost per month.  This is in accordance with the wireless code.  The fee you are looking at is a device balance which is a different animal altogether.  

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kodalux 

You have a FIDO postpaid plan when you have a contract with them.  You will be on month-to-month if you do not get another phone and sign another contract.  CRTC will not allow FIDO to charge one full month of service because you have a postpaid plan,  FIDO is allowed to charge you for the days you used for the month that you port out your number to PM.

Therefore, it will not cost you much per day if you port your number to PM the day after your contract end.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kodalux wrote:

My term with fido end Dec 29...and I want to port my number over to PM just before term ends.  Fido told me there's a $41.58 charge to port a number before term ends.  Am I cutting things to close if I do the porting on the day of fido expiry?  How long does the whole process take?  I'd like to avoid paying the $40 bucks if I could...total rip off.

I would think if you port your number a few days (perhaps 4 or 5) before your Fido contract ends it shouldn't be the amount they are quoting you right now. 

Was that the response for porting straight away or near the end of your contract at Dec. 29th?

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@kodalux wrote:

I can't see them charging that amount of money if you ported out 2 days before the end of your term.  There is usually an early cancellation fee of $20 per month so maybe they thought you were porting out right now.  

Porting can take anywhere from seconds (if you are coming from a Telus owned provider) up to 4 hours.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

GR
Mayor / Maire

@kodalux porting only takes a few hours if everything goes well!  The fee could be the remaining balance of your device because they don't charge a porting fee.  You could set up the new account with a new phone number (temporary) a couple of days before that date and on the date then port your number! 

Need Help? Let's chat.