cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confirmation of porting old number?

kmclaren
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Looking at moving to PM but is there a way to confirm that I can port my number before ordering a SIM card and setting up my account? My number is currently with Virgin "home phone" and keeping it is a show stopper. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

@kmclaren wrote:

Looking at moving to PM but is there a way to confirm that I can port my number before ordering a SIM card and setting up my account? My number is currently with Virgin "home phone" and keeping it is a show stopper. Thanks!

The way to know for sure is is cross reference your area code and the next 3 digits after that with the CNAC database. Telus Mobility needs to also be offering phone numbers for that same city (rate centre).

@gblackma wrote:

Since its a landline it should take 2.5 days to port but can take as many as 7. The recommended way is to activate your SIM card with a temporary cell phone number, set up your self service account, and port from within. This allows you to test the SIM, and provides a safety net in case something goes wrong with the port.

@kmclaren  That's some good advice, but to elaborate a little, if you do as advised above, and the porting of your landline DOES take quite a while, at least you'll have phone service, albeit, with a different number, until such time as the port of your landline gets done.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@kmclaren as far as I know, there's no problem porting from virgin. Since its a landline it should take 2.5 days to port but can take as many as 7. The recommended way is to activate your SIM card with a temporary cell phone number, set up your self service account, and port from within. This allows you to test the SIM, and provides a safety net in case something goes wrong with the port.

@kmclaren wrote:

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@kmclaren Yes, you can port your Virgin home number during or after activation. Since its a home phone, it might take longer than usual to complete the port.

Need Help? Let's chat.