cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transferring the existing cell phone no.

t300cat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Does anyone tell me do I need to inform the current phone provider that I will transfer my no. to a new provider?  Or it will be done once I activate the new no.?

BTW, where to unlock the phone ?

Thank for sharing.

3 REPLIES 3

@t300cat 

Your account must be active before you can port over to another carrier. You don’t need to inform your existing carrier that you are porting to another carrier…it is better that you don’t or they will try to convince you to stay with them.

t300cat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Got it done successfully, thank you all.

@t300cat wrote:

Does anyone tell me do I need to inform the current phone provider that I will transfer my no. to a new provider?  Or it will be done once I activate the new no.?

BTW, where to unlock the phone ?

Normally, you're not supposed to contact the old carrier.  The old carrier is informed during the number porting process.  You do need to respond to a text message from the old carrier (with your old carrier's SIM card still in your phone) to approve the transfer.

As for unlocking your device, it might already be unlocked.  However, it's the carrier that the phone is locked that needs to be contacted to assist with the device unlocking.

Need Help? Let's chat.