cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

receiving text from us tower

mazarind
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i live near the us border, i use to received text from us tower. i did try to manually connect to those tower with no success which i was before, now there is no way i can received them... should i be able to received text via wifi?

14 REPLIES 14

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

So it indeed used to be the case that you should have been able to receive SMS while in the USA (or in your case, registered to a USA tower). I guess with the recent roaming add-on changes, along with Mobile Updating their official roaming partners to be ONLY T-Mobile now, and not AT&T anymore, probably explains why you can't receive SMS while connected to AT&T. I guess T-Mobile doesn't show up as an option if you manually search for networks? That would be the only way going forward by the sounds of it...

Currently, only T-Mobile lets us roam. No T-Mobile, no roam. You have no T-Mobile. Like I said, maybe they removed themselves from your area or they have an outage in your area.

Last Spring, AT&T stopped working for voice. Likely at the same time they stopped working for us altogether.

I would actually be somewhat interested in that AT&T plan I found if I was interested in paying so much for cell service. What are you paying now for Public? The drawback of course is that you would have a US number.

mazarind

why i could not received sms as before, something has change in the way the network working together? 

So you're not even seeing any Canadian providers. You might want to look at getting AT&T service. They sort of operate in Canada but you would have a US number. I'm not sure of all the details.

But it sounds like T-Mobile has either left your area or has an outage.

Adding - AT&T has a prepaid plan with an average cost of $25US per 30 days when you prepay $300US up front. 16gb of data, Canada/US/Mexico talk and text in/out, to/from.

So currently say at a buck 40 that's $420CDN or $35CDN average per 30 days.

mazarind

at&t and verizon and i cannot log to them, yes 4g/lte

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The only way the forwarding idea will work for you is if you leave the Public sim in a phone within range of a Bellus tower.

Are you manually connecting to T-Mobile? When you manually scan for networks, what all networks do you see?

Is your phone set to use 4G/LTE and others?

mazarind

how to forward texts from provider to fongo?

@mazarind 

you can download an app that forwards texts/sms. you can then forward your texts to your fongo number 

mazarind

yea i have a public mobile plan... the thing is that text message is on my PM phone number not the fongo app number so i don't received them... they have close the roaming from us towers?... so there is no way i can received text message via wifi true sms...

@mazarind wrote:

google message on my phone... no i cant do phone call but before 6-8 months ago i was a least receiving text people sent me thru us towers... is there a way to received text thru wifi?

@mazarind - oh, you were only receiving texts for that long? And are you paying for a full public mobile plan?

My first thoughts would be to use a wifi services like Fongo or TextNow or Whatsapp, if you are only interested in texting services. These work via wifi.

mazarind

google message on my phone... no i cant do phone call but before 6-8 months ago i was a least receiving text people sent me thru us towers... is there a way to received text thru wifi?

@mazarind wrote:

I have android phone via google message and i dont have access to canada tower from my place, at least before i was able to received my message and now it only work when i reach canada tower that is half a hour from my place...

@mazarind - google message on pc/laptop? Through wifi? Chat Features?

Can you make / receive phone calls? Or, do you only use your phone for texting? Active Public Mobile plans work within Canada with towers that support the service. 

How have you been using services US towers, if that is what am understanding?

mazarind

I have android phone via google message and i dont have access to canada tower from my place, at least before i was able to received my message and now it only work when i reach canada tower that is half a hour from my place...

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@mazarind - if you are getting pinged from US towers and it is affecting your services, go into the mobile connections of your device and choose Public Mobile as your network.

Or, turn off your roaming in the settings of your device.

Texting should work through regular SMS/MMS. Are you referring to iMessages via wifi?

Need Help? Let's chat.