cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Fully unlocked" phone shows "network locked" when I put in my SIM. Any ideas?

Sonj
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I bought a refurbished Samsung S21 from Woot.com and it was specifically labeled as "fully unlocked." But when I moved my SIM card to the new phone, it said "network locked (searching)" where the PM network name usually is. 

Things I tried: (a) Restarting the phone, (b) waiting a bit longer, (c) resetting network settings.

When I checked out the "network operators" settings, it was set to automatic (but I guess it didn't find anything). I tried turning off the automatic mode and it only gave Telus, Rogers and Bell as possible selections. 

Any tips appreciated,

Sonja

5 REPLIES 5

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Or if you wish to keep the phone, contact Woot for an unlocking code. If they say they don't have one, then return it. This is why I suggest to everyone who purchase phones from 3rd parties when they first get their phones to do a factory reset to make sure the phone is 100% unlocked. It may be unlocked at first, but once a factory reset has been done and it's locked again, it just means the seller used an unlocking code. Good luck.

Phones almost never lock again after a factory reset.  I have seen one Samsung device do this before after a factory reset, but most Samsung devices do not need the network unlocking code again after a factory reset.

Oddly enough, this happened to a co-worker of mine. They purchased a Samsung from the US and it was unlocked. Months later he had to do a factory reset and the phone was then locked. No clue why. 

I'm not saying that it never happens, and I['ve had it happen to me, but it's rare.  I've had other Samsung devices that have been factory reset and never had to enter the unlock code again. 

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Or if you wish to keep the phone, contact Woot for an unlocking code. If they say they don't have one, then return it. This is why I suggest to everyone who purchase phones from 3rd parties when they first get their phones to do a factory reset to make sure the phone is 100% unlocked. It may be unlocked at first, but once a factory reset has been done and it's locked again, it just means the seller used an unlocking code. Good luck.

Phones almost never lock again after a factory reset.  I have seen one Samsung device do this before after a factory reset, but most Samsung devices do not need the network unlocking code again after a factory reset.

Oddly enough, this happened to a co-worker of mine. They purchased a Samsung from the US and it was unlocked. Months later he had to do a factory reset and the phone was then locked. No clue why. 

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

@Sonj wrote:

I bought a refurbished Samsung S21 from Woot.com and it was specifically labeled as "fully unlocked." But when I moved my SIM card to the new phone, it said "network locked (searching)" where the PM network name usually is. 

Things I tried: (a) Restarting the phone, (b) waiting a bit longer, (c) resetting network settings.

When I checked out the "network operators" settings, it was set to automatic (but I guess it didn't find anything). I tried turning off the automatic mode and it only gave Telus, Rogers and Bell as possible selections. 

Sorry, but your phone isn't unlocked.  Return it for exchange or refund or insist that the seller provide the unlock code.

Need Help? Let's chat.