Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

phone not working

epdick
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

data works but not phone

6 REPLIES 6

The Nexus 5 is fully compatible with the 3G and 4G LTE bands at Telus.  My Nexus 5 (out for repair right now) was set to select the best connection, not a specific technology.

I didn't need to do a factory reset as I recall ... but it is a device made by LG, and those devices are the devices that seem to need the factory reset most commonly.

@computergeek541wrote:

Speaking directly with @epdick , I've been informed that setting to the phone (Nexus 5) to 3g prefered causes everything to stop working.

But, when this person's phone is set to LTE prefered, data works, but voice doesn't.

Since Public Mobile requires 3g to use voice, and changing to the 3g network also results in data to stop working when it shouldn't, I can only conclude that this is likely a phone hardware issue.

Anyone else have any ideas?

This sounds like a phone software problem.  I hate to suggest this, but a factory reset may be needed here.  Hopefully that would clear up whatever is affecting phone usage on 3G.  

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

put the sim in another phone and see and put a different sim (bell telus koodo virgin) in the nexus 5 and see.

either one of teh above will isolate hardvare vs account issues,

Speaking directly with @epdick , I've been informed that setting to the phone (Nexus 5) to 3g prefered causes everything to stop working.

But, when this person's phone is set to LTE prefered, data works, but voice doesn't.

Since Public Mobile requires 3g to use voice, and changing to the 3g network also results in data to stop working when it shouldn't, I can only conclude that this is likely a phone hardware issue.

Anyone else have any ideas?

twest666
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I would suggest check to make sure the plan you selected includes talk and text. You appear to be a new user and the plan selection proccess could be confusing because you do have to select every feature you want individually (talk, text, data). When you call does you phone say call failed or do you go to public mobiles automated message saying you call can't be completed?

This probably isn't the problem because most smartphone these days only have settings to set a "prefered" network type.  So , if you have the phone set to LTE as the prefered network type, it still would be set to fall back to 3g, and 2g (if Public Mobile had 2g, which they don't).

However, specifically when it comes to many android devices, the phone itself could be set to "LTE only".  There is a code that works in many Android phones that brings a hidden settings menu on to the screen.  That code is *#*#4636#*#* .  If a phone is set to "LTE only", vocie calls will not work at Public Mobile.

Are you a new customer or did you change your plan recently?  I am wondering if the wrong plan was selected by acccident, one that doesn't include phone calls.  More likely than accidently selecting the wrong plan, it could be a problem with how the Public Mobile system activated your plan.

Also, what phone model are you using?  There are some phones out there that will only work with Public Mobile data, but not Public Mobile phone calls.  You need to have 1900 or 850MHz (band 2 or 5)  3g network compatiblity.

Need Help? Let's chat.