cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no service

searl
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently stopped getting any service from public mobile,  I thought maybe it was my phone, but then took my sim card out and put it in a friends phone and they had no service either.  The top shows full service to public mobile,  but can't send or receive texts can't google, just get the spinning wheel of death.  I'm currently waiting for a mod to help me with this, but has anyone else had this issue.  It's obviously the sim card but do they have a refresh button on their end to fix it or does I just need a new sim ?  

42 REPLIES 42

searl

yes apparently I did but didn't pay attention, definitely a lesson learned!

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@searl wrote:

well no service was the no data,  when i tried it in another phone i instantly did google , and stuff that you would use the internet for, didn't even try the calling or texting, but then when i put it back into my phone calling and texting worked again.  Definitely  ran out of data was the issue, but strange thing is when you go onto your account and under data, all the words are on top of each other so I had no idea that I had used up all my data,  thanks for evryone's help!  

Just curious, did you get any text notifications that you were reaching the limit.  I read that is supposed to happen as you reach your data plan limit

searl

well no service was the no data,  when i tried it in another phone i instantly did google , and stuff that you would use the internet for, didn't even try the calling or texting, but then when i put it back into my phone calling and texting worked again.  Definitely  ran out of data was the issue, but strange thing is when you go onto your account and under data, all the words are on top of each other so I had no idea that I had used up all my data,  thanks for evryone's help!  

searl

awesome thank you !

@searlIf you want to add data, you can purchase an add on. Or you can renewal early to a plan with more data. If your existing plan is grandfathered (ie no longer exists) you will loose that plan if you ever choose to return to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@searl wrote:

ok still no response from a moderator,  So basically regardless if I want to add data, I have to renew my plan and I would lose what I have already?   Thanks for alll the help on this!

I was giving you options. Renewing early requires moderator assistance. Changing plan immediately would be the same loss as early renewal.

When is your renewal date? What exact plan are you on?

I would suggest paying the $30 for the 1gb add-on. Add-ons stay on the account until used up. You buy it once. It then acts as your little overage bucket for if you run out of your main plan data again.

searl

ok still no response from a moderator,  So basically regardless if I want to add data, I have to renew my plan and I would lose what I have already?   Thanks for alll the help on this!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@searl wrote:

ok so wasn't able to make calls or receive , but now that I have taken sim card out and put back in, I have full access to calling and texting feature and no data.  How do I go about adding data, that won't affect the credit i have?  

There are data add-ons. Some think they're expensive. You could do an immediate plan change to a different plan. You could ask the moderators to renew your current plan early. Both of those options would lose what you've already paid as there are no refunds or pro-rating here.

searl

ok so wasn't able to make calls or receive , but now that I have taken sim card out and put back in, I have full access to calling and texting feature and no data.  How do I go about adding data, that won't affect the credit i have?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goldilock wrote:

@AnonymousWhy are you so argumentative?

If she buys a $10 plan and gets a $10 credit, does that not balance itself out?

A voip needs wifi or data and if someone needs a phone for business, while driving on the road etc, that doesn't help them much.  Maybe @searl can wait for a moderator and doesn't need phone service but the fact that she's here saying she's willing to try anything I think that they sort of need phone servive. I hope they post what their solution is and what they decided. They can ignore all of our suggestions but to know what they all are available to them, is asssting them to the fullest. 

Have a good evening! 

To your idea...I would suggest that as a last ditch option. Not while troubleshooting trying to get to the bottom of the problem. As it would be a throw-away.

If one were to go to a store then the store *might* offer a free SIM with an activation. Then your math would be correct if they use their current account as the referrer. Otherwise, it's $10 for the SIM, $10 plan, $10 back for the referral - net out of pocket $10.

goldilock

@searl Well something good happened because your first post said you can't text or receive texts and now you said you can. Can you make and receive calls?

What plan do you have? Yes it is possible that you already used all your data already. Check in your data usage what it says?

But that doesn't explain why when the SIM card was put in another working phone, there was no service??

searl

I absolutely appreciate everyone's help on this thank you, 

Anonymous
Not applicable
@searl wrote:

Ok so when I go to data and add ons , it shows I have nothing there, I'm thinking that's where the issue is?    this is what it says? If a feature is not listed above, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available for use. 

Right. That means you've used your data.

searl

Ok so when I go to data and add ons , it shows I have nothing there, I'm thinking that's where the issue is?    this is what it says? If a feature is not listed above, it may have been fully consumed and no longer available for use. 

goldilock

@AnonymousWhy are you so argumentative?

If she buys a $10 plan and gets a $10 credit, does that not balance itself out?

A voip needs wifi or data and if someone needs a phone for business, while driving on the road etc, that doesn't help them much.  Maybe @searl can wait for a moderator and doesn't need phone service but the fact that she's here saying she's willing to try anything I think that they sort of need phone servive. I hope they post what their solution is and what they decided. They can ignore all of our suggestions but to know what they all are available to them, is asssting them to the fullest. 

Have a good evening! 

searl

I tried the removal of the sim card and powering down,   cause just thought it was something simple,  this is the weirdest thing, so I can text and receive texts sometimes,  I can call, and receive calls, but notice that when I do the top goes from LTE to 3g,  I have wifi turned off as I want to diagnose the service problem from public mobile.  I have absolutely no access to any internet,  I get the spinning wheel of death,  so defintely sounds like it's something I've been blocked from , public mobile maybe?  I have data on my plan,  and haven't used any of it because I can't connect to it?  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goldilock wrote:

@srlawren If you read the entire thread, those questions were asked and @searl already responded in the 3rd message on page 1 that their account is active..

"It shows active, and I can call 611, and it gives me the options to stop auto pay, add ad ons, etc,  just like if I had service"

In the first message wrote:  "I thought maybe it was my phone, but then took my sim card out and put it in a friends phone and they had no service either." 

AGAIN, I am not suggesting that person spend more money, IF they use their referall code for a new SIM and account, they get a $10 credit and they can chose 10$ plan so they would have phone service in the interim for ZERO dollars. 

They haven't stated if they can wait for a moderator or need phone service and IF they do need phone service ASAP because of business, what choice do they have? 

No...that would be $10...not ZERO.

A choice available to them is to use a voip app while waiting. With access to wifi of course.

goldilock

@srlawren If you read the entire thread, those questions were asked and @searl already responded in the 3rd message on page 1 that their account is active..

"It shows active, and I can call 611, and it gives me the options to stop auto pay, add ad ons, etc,  just like if I had service"

In the first message wrote:  "I thought maybe it was my phone, but then took my sim card out and put it in a friends phone and they had no service either." 

AGAIN, I am not suggesting that person spend more money, IF they use their referall code for a new SIM and account, they get a $10 credit and they can chose 10$ plan so they would have phone service in the interim for ZERO dollars. 

They haven't stated if they can wait for a moderator or need phone service and IF they do need phone service ASAP because of business, what choice do they have? I am only trying to help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@searl wrote:

I'm willing to try anything , so far no mod has responded to my email.  I  tried the lost stolen feature, and the $1 ,    My last resort is to buy a new card, but, I shouldn't have to set up an entirely new account to just switch out the sim, .  Hoping a mod gets back to me soon, it's been acting like this for awhile now, but now finally have had enough of only being able to use phone when on wifi.   Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated 

Ok. That's all we have. So now goldilocks with the new SIM might be the answer. Don't activate a new account. Use the Change SIM function in the self-serve.

Speaking of which...when you're there...first check to see if the last 4 digits in the self-serve match that on the SIM. If you're going to commit to getting a new SIM then try typing in the existing SIM number. But only if you're going that far.

Some have had success running ahead and getting a new SIM and not wanting to wait for the mods and that fixes it.

Edit: also...just for kicks...turn off phone, remove SIM, turn on phone, turn off phone, insert SIM, turn on phone...see what if anything happens.

searl

Also in regards to replacing the sim, I agree that it  wont fix the problem because obviously there is something blocking my account to use the server.  Not sure what it could be but sure appreciate any help in trying to figure this out until a mod does get back to me? 

searl

I'm willing to try anything , so far no mod has responded to my email.  I  tried the lost stolen feature, and the $1 ,    My last resort is to buy a new card, but, I shouldn't have to set up an entirely new account to just switch out the sim, .  Hoping a mod gets back to me soon, it's been acting like this for awhile now, but now finally have had enough of only being able to use phone when on wifi.   Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated 

goldilock

@Anonymous  No I am not confused with another thread, you are! 

On the first page of this post, I believe the 7th post, @searl  wrote (in regards to the trick)

"tried that didnt work,  took out sim and tried in different phone that i know works it didn't work in that either?"

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@goldilock wrote:

@Anonymous I don't understand why suggesting that someone could buy a new sim card to get service if that's what they want to do, has had such a negative reaction

<snip>...</snip>

I would like to hear from an oracle if this is a bad thing to have suggested.

@goldilock I'm no longer an oracle but agree this is a bad idea.  First off, you can't port numbers between accounts.  So if they ended up with a working line with a new number, there's no way to port the number they wanted from the non-working line.  That's a problem.  Also, you're suggesting they spend more money on the problem which may not be feasible.

Has anyone asked what plan the OP is on, and asked them to check account status?  Those would be better starting points then buying a new SIM card and activating a second account.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

goldilock

@Anonymous I don't understand why suggesting that someone could buy a new sim card to get service if that's what they want to do, has had such a negative reaction. Yes, personally if I was in that person's shoes and I identified the SIM card is the problem, I would not hesitate to buy another Sim card and account (everyone has multiple email addresses) because I could not be without phone service for days on end until the problem is resolved. 

If that person knows their referall code, they would use it for their new account and get $10 credit right away so nothing would be lost if they got a new account with $10 plan, it would be free with the referall credit right, so why would that be so far-fetched as a temporary solution. 

Again, it's merely an option posed to the person, if they don't want to do that, and they don't need phone service then they must wait for a moderator to assist them, who might end up. telling them to buy a new sim card anyway.  

I would like to hear from an oracle if this is a bad thing to have suggested.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goldilock 

I think I see...this thread is similar to another thread. Maybe you're getting mixed up. This thread made no mention of having done those work arounds. He even hesitated at the lost/stolen.

goldilock

@GinYVR  @searl 

Right but she already said she tried all the tricks, the lost/found trick, the adding $1, she removed sim card and reinserted it, checked the sim in another person's working phone, none of those self-diagnosing things worked. It's up to her, if she wants to wait several days plus without a phone or if she wants to buy a Sim card and create a new account to have a phone while she waits for the moderators. She has choice of free will to have the option to do that if she needs to have phone service and can't wait longer. Many people realistically can not wait days without phone service and she has identified the problem is the Sim card because it doesn't work in someone else's phone. 

I am sorry I wrote "she" and I should not have been gender specific, I don't know if it's a female or male so sorry if I wrote the wrong one! 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@goldilock wrote:

@GinYVR  Yes, that's what I meant. With a new sim it would be a new account obviously right away, the other logistics could be worked out later with the moderators with the number etc. 

I would be loathe to suggest to a customer having problems to go and buy a new SIM (maybe free with in-store activations at some places) and activate a new account with a unique email address all just to get going sooner.

Would you want to hear from someone to go spend more money on a SIM and plan when your service isn't working?

Heck, I struggle a little with the extra dollar thing due to the fact that the customer is already having problems. But at least it just gets used at the next renewal.

@goldilockIf the user shows the account is active there are other diagnostics steps / avenue to do before starting a new account.

goldilock

@GinYVR  Yes, that's what I meant. With a new sim it would be a new account obviously right away, the other logistics could be worked out later with the moderators with the number etc. 

@goldilockBecause it is a provisioning problem. Every service of every user is stored on Public Mobiile's server. The SIM card is just a key to that service. If the user changes the key, and it is the provisioning file that is messed up, it won't fix anything AND the user is out of $10 (since there is no refunds) and SIM cards are 1 use only.

I would not recommend getting a new SIM card unless the moderators instruct one to do.

UNLESS you are suggesting to the OP to GET A NEW ACCOUNT with the SIM card.. then that's different.

Need Help? Let's chat.