cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new walmart activation, no service of any kind

Dimesntreys
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

went to walmart and they activated a new sim and ported my number for me but its been 5-6 hours now and my phone still says no service (cellular or data). PM'ed the Mod account specified in the get help but its been 3 hours with no response. Wondered if anyone else experienced a similar issue and could offer some insight. Or even better if a mod ay see this and help me out.

8 REPLIES 8

hxj140
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It's unfortunate that this happened.

With the OM sim in your phone, can you see a your phone number under settings? If yes, it looks like a stuck port as others have mentioned and will require assistance from a moderator.

This tip doesn't help now but may in the future: set up the new account with a new number. Check the sim to ensure that everything is working before leaving the store. Once eveything is working to you satisfaction, create a self-serve account and port in using the online port-in tools.

Best of luck and I hope you get the issue resolved to your satisfaction.

kwokamole

Hey,

I activated and ported my number at Walmart a couple of days ago (yay for credits and free SIM).  

After the gentlemam helped me create my account and port my number over, I put the SIM in my phone and nothing.  The gentleman told me to restart my phone with the new SIM in it.  After I restarted my phone I was good to go.  He even called my number from the store phone to see if it worked and it had.  Maybe the different Walmart stores have different levels of people working.

Again, try restarting and if that doesn't work we can try something else.  Cheers!

ETE
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello ! I had the EXACT same problem when I went to Walmart to get a new SIM card and port my number over to PM couple months ago. Outgoing calls went through but no caller ID, outgoing texts were a dud, and incoming calls never went through. Phone was just stuck at the porting stage and everything went back to normal the next day's afternoon for me, TOTALLY normal (from what I'm assumming from other posts I've seen). The problem will likely solve itself the next morning. 

If my reassurance doesn't help you, the alternative would be just to wait for a reply from the MOD. (they say likely 1-3 hours but for sure within 48 hours reply, so wait it out! )

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What phone are you using who was your old provider?  Did you try a network search?

Dimesntreys

tried to create a self serve account but it needs to send a text message to my phone in order for me to create the account. and i don't have service. I guess I could try with my old sim

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Dimesntreys

Login to your self serve account.  What is your number is shown online?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Dimesntreys Have you tried the sim in any other phone? If you have access to your self-serve account, login and check the account status. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Dimesntreys, the experience with Walmart is very YMMV with most saying the service is awful for a variety of reasons.  Good that the moderator team has been sought to correct the activation problem.  Now just need to stay patient and wait for them to do their thing.

Need Help? Let's chat.