cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

marking yourself as the solution?

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I noticed that a recent post, the poster marked themselves as a solution... wait you can still do that? Could lead to people making up stupid threads like 1+1 equals? or how do I turn my phone on? ... then reply and mark as "solution". Gaining them solution points

Although I guess the thought is if the original poster found a solution (that fixed the problem) that they post and mark it as the solution

6 REPLIES 6

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@jp2 wrote:

Couldn't PM just change the formula so if the OP marks them self as the solution it doesn't count towards rewards? My thinking is even if the OP actually solves there own issue they aren't helping others so it shouldn't count for rewards 

If the OP dues solve the issue and posts it could help others that have the same issue in the future though. We have many people that watch for this and it is very obvious to catch. I am not worried as I am sure if someone was doing this to move up in rewards they would be caught before they got very far

Some being smart by having multiple accounts. They post a simple problem and reply a solution from other accounts. In this case, it's not so easy to catch them. But there are other ways to catch that i will not go into the details just because. 

@jp2 wrote:

Couldn't PM just change the formula so if the OP marks them self as the solution it doesn't count towards rewards? My thinking is even if the OP actually solves there own issue they aren't helping others so it shouldn't count for rewards 

If the OP dues solve the issue and posts it could help others that have the same issue in the future though. We have many people that watch for this and it is very obvious to catch. I am not worried as I am sure if someone was doing this to move up in rewards they would be caught before they got very far

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

As mentioned above, sometimes users figure out the problem themselves and post the solution in case other run into the same problem. I think that is ok and should be allowed. What should not be allowed is when the topic doesn't contain a valid problem. In this case, a random post with some helpful comment should not be accepted as a solution. 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I have seen this in the past.  It's not that prevalent.  Sometimes people do figure out the solution to their problem and mark the thread as solved.  Some appear to have nefarious intentions.  The embarrassed of being called out for questionable intent is sufficient deterrent.  

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I’ve brought this up in the past as I have seen it abused before but luckily it does not seem to happen often. If you see abuse happening let a mod or oracle know. 

Need Help? Let's chat.