cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 or 5 for voice and text?

youbme
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey iPhone users,

I'm an android guy, but am helping a friend replace her phone that was damaged by her son. Another friend is selling an iPhone 4 and 5 for reasonable prices. The friend who needs a phone is on a talk/text plan with PM (I'm her tech support), so she really only needs something basic enough to make calls and texts. She will likely use some apps when connected to WiFi, but probably very minimal.

I'm leaning towards the iPhone 4 for her needs, but am concerned that its age will start to show for battery life and basic phone functionality. For those of you still using the 4, is it still working well for you? Do you think it's still worth picking up as a simple phone?

5 REPLIES 5

@youbme so long as brand recognition is not a major issue there are many budget brands running recent builds of Android with some pretty decent hardware out there

Most of the cheap brands will have poor cameras and not get much in terms of software updates but are fully functional

I have used LeEco and Blackview with good results in the past

If name is important less loved brands (like LG) tend to plummet in price and buying a 1 year old LG seems a better investment than a 4 or 5 year old iPhone4

Also note if this is really an Apple person Koodo is selling a far newer iPhone6S for $360 (and most places will give minimum $100 trade, Wow, Walmart, Bestbuy etc)

youbme

Excellent points. They are asking $40 for the iPhone 4 and $140 for the 5. You are all confirming my nervousness about getting such an old phone. No reason to go with Apple other than the convenience of having a friend who is trying to sell it.

I will be checking out the phones tomorrow to see how functional they are. Are there any better options for less than$50?

Considering a used iPhone 4 sells for $75 I would argue a basic Android phone is far more functional

If just talk & text any reason why you are looking to Apple specifically?

closng

Hi @youbme,

I would definitely go with the iPhone 5 to ensure that the phone is a bit more future proof. We have an old iPhone 4 lying around at home and it is extremely slow with the latest iOS installed, it is actually quite frustating and ridiculously slow trying to perform simple tasks.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I am not an iPhone user, but both of these phones are ancient.  The remaining battery life has got to be really low.  I would not pay much for anything past 3 years old.  The iPhone 4 was released in 2010 and 5 in 2012.  

Need Help? Let's chat.