cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 4 not working

xdragon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'd an unlocked iPhone 4 that I used when I first signed up with Public Mobile several years ago, so it was working.  Then I switch to another phone that supports the LTE band used by Public Mobile.  Now I want to give my old iPhone 4 to my kid, so I tried to activate it (after did a factory reset) with my current SIM card, but kept getting 'No Service' so couldn't complete the phone activation. I double check that my SIM card works with my current phone, just not with the iPhone 4.  I also tried my wife's SIM card (also on Public Mobile) and same thing.  I double checked the hardward compatibility from Public Mobile and it did show that the iPhone 4 (GSM) is supported in Public Mobile 3G band.  So it appears that there is no 3G coverage at my home.  I would like to know what is the Public Mobile's 3G coverage in GTA?

14 REPLIES 14

@xdragon   Try using this method to push through the changes and to confirm and reset the SIM sync to iTunes
1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)
2. Connect to computer with USB cable.
3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run
4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates
5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered)

Disconnect and reboot. From @luddite.

Nanqui
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

My daughter has an iPhone 4s and the latest update on her iphone is iOS 9. 

If you log on to wifi only you can do a full reset from phone and you can also do a iOS update. 

Settings About Software Update if I recall. 

Of if you have iTunes on a computer, a sync cable (usb to 30 pin) and plug into computer. It will tell you it needs an update or you can press the button in iTunes to check for you. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Disclaimer: I know very little about those products.

Can you connect the phone to wifi and then iirc there's some kind of site to set up the phone? Again...not sure.

Edit: Yow! ninja'd many times over.

Try a hard reset. Hold home button and on/off button down til you see the Apple logo and wait for reboot. 

@xdragon  Connect it to WiFi and take the updates.

I assume you are using the Micro SIM size and not NANO?

xdragon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I factory reset the phone, so need to re-activate the phone, and because the phone can't register with the SIM card so can't get past the activation step, therefore can't go to setting at all.

I did a compatibility check for you. 

Learn about your phone's compatibility with our network:

• Sub-model:  A1349 CDMA
    3G

Device does not support 3G bands

4G LTE

Device does not support 4G LTE bands

• Sub-model:  A1332 GSM
    3G

850MHz, 1900MHz

4G LTE

Device does not support 4G LTE bands

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@xdragon 

About a half year ago iPhone 4 actually had an iOS update. Please try to do an update. Also reseat SIM card and reboot phone. Reset net work setting and if APN settings are updatable here they are:

Here’s how to set up data in 3 steps:1) Tap:
  • Settings
  • Cellular
  • Cellular Data Network
2) Input this info:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Talk needs 3G.

Text and data can use either 3G or 4G.

Check that the phone isn't set on GSM only after the reset.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@xdragon  3G coverage should be excellent in the GTA otherwise Public customers would not be able to make calls since they only use 3G for calls.

Sounds like the problem lies with the phone itself.

Need Help? Let's chat.