cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

appearant discrepancy between plan phone minutes and usage history

jeff11
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

It appears from my usage history that I haven't used all of my phone minutes, but the plan has been stopped.  How do I get a clarification of this apparent discrepancy?

12 REPLIES 12

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Jb456 correct it has always been like this with other carriers. My brother used to do the same as you haha. 

I think what some dont realize is that even if they talk for just 20seconds it is rounded up to one minute. The carriers dont count down to the second when they add up the totals. If someone talks for 1 minute and one second then it is 2 minutes that would get deducted fromt heir plan. 

@Jb456 wrote:

@HALIMACS @will13am  

I use the text & FB messenger method as well but some people only have landline. Hence let it ring a few times 😃

This thread got me going back to checking what features remain in google voice after the most important feature for me was dropped more than a year ago.  Google voice used to provide a nifty forwarding feature for outbound calls where I can call either from my Public Mobile line using the regular phone app or the google voice app and the outbound call will be process identically.  The recipient will see a call from Colorado.  For inbound calls to my google voice number, my Public Mobile line will ring as well as any device that has the google voice app installed including computers if signed onto google.  It looks like there has been no reductions to the service.  If only google assigned Canadian numbers instead of just US numbers, I would switch to using it as the main number.  It is such a pain to receive text and calls only on the phone.  Imagine the freedom of having a phone number that runs on data and is accessible anywhere in the world that is connected to the internet.  

@HALIMACS @will13am  

I use the text & FB messenger method as well but some people only have landline. Hence let it ring a few times 😃

Yup - that's the way to do it, @Jb456 , or text them...

I'm guessing if the call DID connect, you'd only have about 50-55 seconds of talk time left in the 1st minute, before the 2nd minute would start.

@Jb456 wrote:

@HALIMACS  that sounds more like it. (If it connects). Since I'm on the $15 I use the method of calling someone, letting it ring a few times then hanging up. So they know to call me back for the free incoming. Never been charged minutes doing it this way. Only if they answer or it connects to their voicemail then I get dinged a minute.

You could text the person and tell them to call you.  

@Jb456 wrote:

@will13am  I'm on $15 plan. I haven't noticed that it starts on 1st ring. At least for me it's not the case. I'll call someone and let it ring 3 or 4 times before it hits their voicemail and hang-up. So they can call me back for free incoming calls. 

I've only noticed that when the call connects. (Hitting the voicemail then hanging up or if they answer and I say call back) then I'm billed a minute. Never for just the rings though.

I should clarify the timer only matters for a completed call.  If the ringer is still going when hanging up does not result in a successful call, so no minutes are logged.  TBH, at 1¢ per minute based on the add-on cost, I would not care wasting a minute here and there.  

@HALIMACS  that sounds more like it. (If it connects). Since I'm on the $15 I use the method of calling someone, letting it ring a few times then hanging up. So they know to call me back for the free incoming. Never been charged minutes doing it this way. Only if they answer or it connects to their voicemail then I get dinged a minute.

I could be wrong, @Jb456 , but i think the timer starts from the 1st ring ONLY if the call makes a successful connection/completed call.  

Sound about right, @will13am ?

@will13am  I'm on $15 plan. I haven't noticed that it starts on 1st ring. At least for me it's not the case. I'll call someone and let it ring 3 or 4 times before it hits their voicemail and hang-up. So they can call me back for free incoming calls. 

I've only noticed that when the call connects. (Hitting the voicemail then hanging up or if they answer and I say call back) then I'm billed a minute. Never for just the rings though.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@jeff11 , check your usage history.  All the minutes are logged there rounded upwards to the nearest minute.  The timer starts on the first ring.  If you have the $15 plan, it is a good idea to have some add-on minutes for backup.  $5 for 500 minutes is pretty good deal.  I hope you did claim the free minutes and data giveaway.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jeff11 wrote:

It appears from my usage history that I haven't used all of my phone minutes, but the plan has been stopped.  How do I get a clarification of this apparent discrepancy?

Yes calls round up to the next minute. Checking voicemail uses minutes. The reporting in usage details can be delayed.

Can you receive calls? Texts in/out? Internet?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@jeff11 

More details please.

What plan are you on? The $15 by chance?

If so you have 100 outgoing minutes. Billed by the minute not the second.

Do you see a line like below.

Screenshot_20201118_143205.jpg

If you dont see that. It means you used all your outgoing minutes.

Let us know. Thanks!

Need Help? Let's chat.