cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would Not Sell Me A Sim Card

tamk89
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

While grocery shopping in Superstore in north edmonton along 137 ave, thought it would be a good idea to pick up another sim card for a friend whom is interested in switching over to PM. The female employee at the mobile kiosk refused to sell me a sim card because she would not make commission off the sale. I have purchased the sim cards off of her previously before without question or any reason for refusal. Just thought I'd share my experience with everyone. 

7 REPLIES 7

fpjulie
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Same experience but at Walmart in Windermere. They refused to sell me the Sim card because of the $0 promotion that required in store activation. I tried to let them realize that it should be my choice if I wanted to benefit from the promotion or not and they legally cannot refuse to sell to me. Further, the Sim card can be activated online by the purchaser through PM's website so there is no requirement by PM that activation take place only in store. Added to that Walmart is listed on PM's website as a participating store where cards are available for sale. I have also previously purchased cards at a Walmart but this time I was directed to London Drugs next door to buy the Sim. The folks at LD sold me the card while informing me of the benefits of doing an in store activation, which is what I would have expected from any retailer listed.on PMobile's site as a source for purchasing their Sim card. PM needs to prevent these folks who do that from selling their products or folks should just not buy from these places that are trying to force you to do an in store activation. I was buying the card to post to someone who did not want to activate a card and lose days of service while waiting to receive it by post. Also if already activated and then is lost during postage, will PM refund the money or will someone else benefit from a free month of service while I would have to pay again? These are just a couple considerations when activating in store is being forced upon customers as a condition of acquiring cell phone service with Public Mobile. 

porkchopbread

Had no problem buying a SIM card at London Drugs (Burnaby, Market Crossing location). In and out within 2 minutes 

MMack

@tamk89 wrote:

While grocery shopping in Superstore in north edmonton along 137 ave, thought it would be a good idea to pick up another sim card for a friend whom is interested in switching over to PM. The female employee at the mobile kiosk refused to sell me a sim card because she would not make commission off the sale. I have purchased the sim cards off of her previously before without question or any reason for refusal. Just thought I'd share my experience with everyone. 

I have also had issues with getting a sim card from my local wal-mart before. Fortunately there is other locations to get a sim from. London Drugs seems to be the best place to go.

Unfortunately the policy to sell the sim card is up to the individual retailers, it is up to them if they want to sell just the sim card or to only use them for new in-store activations.

Look up the locations where you are able to purchase a sim, call first and see what the policy is and if all else fails you can order one online (The shipping is quite fast!) 

Nessiekaboom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Well thats just no polite!

thanh

My cousin tried to get a SIM at Walmart yesterday. They refused to sell her one. She got one at London Drugs without question.

It is getting tiring hearing about stores doing anything.  I don't think Public Mobike can do anything.  It happens since in store sim sales started.

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@tamk89 You can buy one at a London Drugs, Wow Mobile, or K Mobile, there isn't usually problems there with people trying to buy a SIM without a plan. You should send a message to the moderators and let them know the exact location you tried to buy the SIM from, you can send them a private message here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437
Need Help? Let's chat.