cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my new Samsung S7 Phone from Rogers work if not unlocked?

Johnny2K
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I will be receiving a new Samsung S7 from a family member.  The phone will be purchased from Rogers but will never be used on that network. 

I understand the S7 is locked to the first network on which it it used?  So, a brand new S7 from Rogers does not need to be unlocked to work on PM?

Is this accurate?  Please let me know.

Thx

7 REPLIES 7

Here's a thread from the Rogers Community which confirms that these Samsung S7 phones purchased from/through Rogers are factory-unlocked.  And that the phones are designed to carrier-lock themselves the first time a valid SIM card is activated.  The catch is that Rogers sells you a Rogers Wireless SIM card along with the Samsung S7, which they expect you will impatiently and excitedly insert into your new S7 phone - which would of course immediately impose an exclusive carrier-lock to their network (Rogers Wireless, Fido, Chatr).

My understanding is that Public Mobile has never locked any devices, indeed Public Mobile doesn't even sell any devices.  I could find no NCK, NSCK, SPCK, CPCK, or SIMCK codes in the registry databases which identify as "Public Mobile", although Public Mobile could always opt to carrier-lock new devices as an MVNO subset licensed by Telus (at least in theory, if not in practice).

(Note that PM is currently partnered with Toronto-based phone reseller Orchard and, according to Wikipedia, "previously offered a small range of feature phones and Android Smartphones" before being reorganized as a Telus value brand in Feb 2015.  To my knowledge phones purchased through these channels always were and still are entirely unlocked, though I could be wrong.)

A Public Mobile SIM card is perfect for your new Samsung S7.  The phone might self-lock onto Telus (Telus Mobility, Koodo Mobile, Public Mobile), though I doubt it.  Note that it is often difficult and costly (far more than the promised $50, lol) to unlock Rogers-locked devices because they are notoriously reluctant to lose business and will obstruct the unlock process as much as they are legally permitted (constantly delaying as they attempt to resell or upsell you a Rogers subscription).

boldventure
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Given that it locks with the first sim, Rogers will surely don't just sell it without locking it and reseal it

@boldventure the S7s lock once a sim is inserted.  Just one article from android authority.

http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-and-galaxy-s7-edge-lock-to-carrier-sim-676653/

boldventure
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

if it's from Rogers, it's already locked to Rogers and not whichever the first SIM inserted

Johnny2K
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Awesome!  Thanks for the quick replies!

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi...

if it is truly untouched then yes, you heard right.... the S7 as well as the S7 Edge will lock to the first sim card carrier inserted...in this case it will lock to PM ..... I have the S7 Edge bought at Bell .... was unlocked...now locked to PM

sometimes though they open the box and insert the card especially if phone is subsidized ... if you paid for the phone in full then they do not have the right to lock it.....

cheers

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

Correct!

Need Help? Let's chat.