cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting for Koodo SIM, but Public Mobile plan ($120 3/mo) renews on Sunday. How to minimize lost $?

eupraxo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I picked the absolute worst time to switch to Koodo apparently. My PM plan renews on Sunday, but the local Koodo store won't be open now until Monday, let alone waiting for the SIM card to be mailed.

I got this message and figured I should jump on it, because it's twice the data and Canada wide calling.

After signing up, I realized that I didn't know if I'd get a refund or transfer of what was left on my current plan. It seems like I would not, and with my Public Mobile renewal date starting on Sunday, I'll be out $120+tax, which is more than even the credit from Koodo.

At best I can't switch until a day after my PM renewal kicks in.

So what are my options?

If I turn off autopay and let it lapse, can they still transfer from my number from PM to Koodo the next day or the day after? Can I switch to a 30 day minimal plan so I end up only out maybe $30 instead of $120+?

Thanks folks!

16 REPLIES 16

kentnleung
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thats what the 100$ credit is for.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

i would not change the plan to a different one before porting

There is no allowance to port if account is suspended

Mods would need to renew it internally (even on a basic plan) to push port through

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If you switch plans you may lose your promo offer along with the promo I'd get confirmation from koodo/PM mods from both of them first.

eupraxo

I've accepted your solution, but I will report back with the experience. Thanks.

@mimmowrote:

Just a question if you change plan, would that not technically void the offer since you are no longer on the fall promo?  

I'm probably thinking too much.  Hopefully it all works out and you get the 100$ bonus with minimal investment.

@mimmoMy understanding is that the offer is linked to the phone number. So if the OP got the text / code, their number is on Koodo's "eligible PM transfer customer" for whatever migration plan is en vogue right now.

My assumption is that Koodo is not checking in with PM whether that phone number is still on the 12GB/$120/90days at the time of porting (and I sure hope that Koodo reps don't have direct access to PM accounts!) So, as long as the PM account is active to allow for a number port-out to Koodo...

As usual, just my two cents - hopefully @eupraxo is able and willing to report back.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Just a question if you change plan, would that not technically void the offer since you are no longer on the fall promo?  

I'm probably thinking too much.  Hopefully it all works out and you get the 100$ bonus with minimal investment.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@eupraxo, that sounds about right!

eupraxo
@Anonymouswrote:

@eupraxo, your acount must be active in order to port out your number.  Just lower your plan to the bare minimum, and leave it until your number is ported out.

Alternatively, You can wait until Monday, and ask the moderaters really nicely, and perhaps they can do something for you.

Click here to send the moderators team a private message.
You can find information regarding the moderators team by following this link.

I can exist without a phone for a couple of days.

So it sounds like if I just let my plan expire, I'll lose the service until I activate with Koodo, which leaves me with two options:

1) Ask the moderators nicely to make it so I can port my number on Tuesday (I work all day Monday) even though I don't have an active plan.

2) If the moderators can't/won't help me, buy a 30 day plan ($20 vs $120) just so my account will be active again, and activate my Koodo account so the number can port over.

Do I have this correct? Thank you!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I suggest letting the account lapse and seeking allowance to port from a suspended account.  The parties are very accommodating for this migration.  Paying another $120 and asking for refund is much harder to redress.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@eupraxo Suggest you turn off autopay and let the PM account expire. Speed up the Koodo deal by going in person to a kiosk. If the port-in to Koodo is delayed "beg" the moderators to let the port out go ahead; or just reactivate it with a $20 calling plan.

There is really no reason Koodo can't activate your account today, otherwise what's the point of kiosks?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Buy a koodo sim from any nearby koodo booth then do the change online yourself and see if you can cancel the online order for the sim card.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

Twice the data ?  What plan are you in ? I mean how many GB are on your current 3 months

@Anonymouswrote:

@eupraxo, your acount must be active in order to port out your number.  Just lower your plan to the bare minimum, and leave it until your number is ported out.

I would go with this option as i am pretty sure the koodo offer is linked to your phone number. So as long as you are sure you want to switch, you should be able to even if you switch your current PM plan to a cheapest option. 

@Anonymouswrote:

Alternatively, You can wait until Monday, and ask the moderaters really nicely, and perhaps they can do something for you.

With this option, mods might give you an option to refund $120-different plan cost but this might take a few weeks to receive or they might just offer you an account credit. So this is not a good option compare to the one mentioned above. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

are there no walmarts /superstores or other stores taht sell koodo sims where you can go and activate or at least buy a sim?

if you are tryingto transfer for the 5gb promo not sure what will happen if  you futuredate the plan change (ie will it void the offer)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Help? Let's chat.