cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual data usage and data usage break down screen question

crxvti
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

I've been with PM for more than a year when 2016 Black Friday deal promoted $40/4GB plan.

I never had problem with how PM calcuated my data usage until just now.

First question, does anyone know the usage break down screen of call, data and SMS time and date column.  How do I know if the time represents am or pm?  It is very confusion.

Thanks to all.

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@crxvti do you have Wi-Fi Assist turned on?  Perhaps you do and were on a weak WiFi and streamed some Netflix or something.

In any event, here's how to find out what apps are using up your data:  on an iPhone, or on an Android Phone.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What kind of phone do you have? Did you get a new device and transfer everything over?

I suspect a software update to the device itself for something that big. Check your settings

@wetcoaster wrote:

@KMG wrote:

With respect to data usage, calls and SMS do not contribute to your data usage, which is why the data usage column is empty for those entries.  The "web" entries are the ones that contribute to your data usage.

Just to round out @KMG's statement: While sending and receiving MMS requires an active data connection, they don't count towards your data usage. They show in your usage history as "data event".

Even if it did count, you would have to be pretty active to consume 2.9 gigs on MMS. 

@KMG wrote:

With respect to data usage, calls and SMS do not contribute to your data usage, which is why the data usage column is empty for those entries.  The "web" entries are the ones that contribute to your data usage.

Just to round out @KMG's statement: While sending and receiving MMS requires an active data connection, they don't count towards your data usage. They show in your usage history as "data event".

@crxvti wrote:

Okay thanks.

I would like to have a MOD contacted me on some very suspicious usage on a weekday that was used about 2.9GB data during the time (well, since there was no way to tell it's AM or PM).

Data usage is consolidated and posted only once or twice a day. The time stamp doesn't mean that the data was used at exactly that time but during the 12 or 24 hours before that.

Was there a system update that went over data instead of WiFi?

Have you turned phone options like background data or WiFi assist (Iphone) off?

Have you checked which of your apps is eating that much data?

Do you have a data tracker like Data Witness or My Data Manager installed?

If the above doesn't shed any light into your data usage, use this link to send a private message to the @Moderator_Team, include all relevant information in your message, such as account number, phone number, detailed problem description.

More information on contacting the mods: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Updated-Contacting-our-Community-Moder...

crxvti
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Okay thanks.

I would like to have a MOD contacted me on some very suspicious usage on a weekday that was used about 2.9GB data during the time (well, since there was no way to tell it's AM or PM).

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Oddly enough, the times use a 12-hour clock, but there is no way to tell from the screen whether it is AM or PM.  The only way would be if you remembered when you sent texts or made calls in the AM vs. PM.

Need Help? Let's chat.