cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USA roaming

gord4673
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was wondering if I need to shut off my data when entering USA to avoid roaming charges or does it shut off automatically?

9 REPLIES 9

PM's US Roaming Add-Ons each expire 10 days after activation (even if they still have unused allocations).

You can activate the Add-Ons through Self-Serve or through the automated menus at 1-855-4PUBLIC (1-855-478-2542) - apparently *611 doesn't work outside Canada, yet.

I've sometimes had strange difficulties making payments when in parts of the USA.  Sometimes my banking or credit accounts aren't readily accessible, sometimes the locals are overly skeptical about accepting my Canadian ID.  So I've learned to always top up my balance (with at least enough funds to purchase a few Roaming Add-Ons) before leaving civilization, less stress and worry and frustration, less wasted time and waiting and delays, less need to deal with lengthy lineups and small-minded apparatchniks.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Learn-all-about-US-Roaming/ta-p/75772

Cubkegger

Sometimes with some phones you have to go into your settings for the mobile network and check a box that says allow data roaming. That should fix your data issue, if not the network your on may not be compatible for data.

brucemtl

Roaming in usa burlington, vermont not working? I bought 1gb and nothing...

just dont port over your PM phone number to the other carrier if you do decide to go the local sim route. Better to be safe than sorry to mention it aha

gord4673

Thanks! Great information!

you can purchase it whenever you would need it, as it becomes active immediatley. Just note that adding these add ons are a two step process. The first is to add the funds into your account. After you have the funds, you have to re-select the add on you want to add.

Also its recommend that after the add on is fully added, to restart your phone. As of now public mobile is only supporting US roaming.

If you are travelling for an extended period of time, it may be better to buy a local prepaid sim card from the country you are going to, as the rates will be much better.

gord4673

Thank you, that was helpful.

If I do decide to purchase US roaming or any other Country for that matter do I need to buy it before I leave Canada or can I buy it online in the middle of my trip?

xCameron94x
Mayor / Maire

because Public Mobile is pre-paid, you will not be able to access data at all unless you have an add on, but i do also have roaming diabled on my phone

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@gord4673, no you do not need to shut off data as it is a prepaid service and if you haven't purchased the US addon you will have no service in the US.  So if you are thinking you will be able to call or text while in the US you won't be able to.  If you need to do this you will need to purchase the US addon package and that is a two step process where the initial purchase puts the money in Available Funds you then need to go in and "repurchase" the addon and the funds will then be taken out of the Available funds.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.