cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three must have options

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

I know that this will probably be falling on deaf ears but here goes anyways...Who knows maybe someone from the PM stumbles upon this post and.....Yeah right, back to reality!!.

1. Lock account option: To improve security and protect one's account from SIM hijacking or similar allow the customer to make this selection via selfserve. Once selected it means that the forgot password option or resetting my account by a moderator will not be possible.
  2. Renew existing plan early: What's so complicated about implementing this option? Why does a moderator need to be involved.? It's not like they don't have enough to deal with around here.
  3. US Roaming add-onsCharge by the day and allow the user to pick their start and end date. 10 day limit makes no sense.
  4. Calling add-ons: Offer Canada-Only, US-Only and International-Only talk add-ons. That way one doesn't have to worry about what minutes are being subtracted from which add-on as is currently the case.  Edit: This is not needed anymore since PM has annouced that changes have been made to the system so that minutes will be subtracted from the correct bucket from now on. Nice!!  Smiley Happy

19 REPLIES 19

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Huh? What? Pardon? Were you saying something?

🙂

With ya on 2, 3, 4...not 1.

@z10user4 wrote:

Huh? What? Pardon? Were you saying something?

🙂

With ya on 2, 3, 4...not 1.

LOL, Smiley Happy For me 1 is a must and is optional so you must opt-in if you wish.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

1 is not gonna happen.  There has to be a master key.  Otherwise we are going to see cases where customers lock their account and cannot unlock it leading to lost accounts.

2 was supposed to happen.  At least that is what I thought.

3 is a big ask.  In the roughly 3 years I have been here, there's been no movement on the roaming front.  My favorite saying "Get the service for what it is, not what you wish it to be" 

4 is available today.

@will13am wrote:

1 is not gonna happen.  There has to be a master key.  Otherwise we are going to see cases where customers lock their account and cannot unlock it leading to lost accounts.

3 is a big ask.  In the roughly 3 years I have been here, there's been no movement on the roaming front.  My favorite saying "Get the service for what it is, not what you wish it to be" 

4 is available today.

@will13am  Great! I thought it was:

Canada:  Canada wide

Canada-US: Canada & US

Canada-US-International: Canada, US + the other 17 countries on the list.

@will13am wrote:

Honestly I don't see a problem if it's strictly opt-in and fairly out of sight with a disclaimer it's a must for those that value their privacy.

Understood but there is a large number of customers myself included that will not purchase the current US Roaming add-ons. It is what it is I guess.

4 is available today.

Not the way I'm proposing it to be implemented. As other customers have reported if I purchased as Canada-US add-on and then a Canada add-on and made a call in Canada then the Canada-US add-on minutes will get used. Why? If add-ons are exclusive it keeps everything simple and they will work as they should.

@will13am wrote:

4 is available today.

Kinda. But not what geopublic was suggesting.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@geopublic wrote:

I know that this will probably be falling on deaf ears but here goes anyways...Who knows maybe someone from the PM stumbles upon this post and.....Yeah right, back to reality!!.

1. Lock account option: To improve security and protect one's account from SIM hijacking or similar allow the customer to make this selection via selfserve. Once selected it means that the forgot password option or resetting my account by a moderator will not be possible.
  2. Renew existing plan early: What's so complicated about implementing this option? Why does a moderator need to be involved.? It's not like they don't have enough to deal with around here.
  3. US Roaming add-onsCharge by the day and allow the user to pick their start and end date. 10 day limit makes no sense.
  4. Calling add-ons: Offer Canada-Only, US-Only and International-Only talk add-ons. That way one doesn't have to worry about what minutes are being subtracted from which add-on as is currently the case.

@geopublic, to be SIMjacked, you've really got to have a poor password keeping secret problem, and/or letting too many people have access to your information you use to set up and maintain your account.  I use a password manager for strong unique passwords, and they are shared with no one.  If someone has access to your phone number and knows your personal information, porting a number out of one service to another provider can happen to anyone, but changing the SIM within the same provider is much more difficult.  Any unauthorized transfer of a phone number can be reversed when it happens, and at that time all account passwords should be forced changed, especially if you use the same password for multiple accounts.  Using a password manager is a best practice - you don't even need to know the password yourself if you allow the system to auto-generate it for you.

Renew plan early.  No, I don't like this idea.  There are already options to get around this issue.  1, for data, buy add-ons. 2, for expired minutes on a limited calling plan, buy LD minutes.  For expired SMS on the $10 plan, immediate change to the $15 plan, the extra $5 is a no brainer.

US Roaming - pick a date.  Not required, as the majority of folks will not need to activate the roaming until they're travelling to the US, or already there.  *Subscribers* need to make their devices ready (ie roaming allowed, search for a network, allow data roaming) ahead of time.  The beauty about PM is the domestic roaming is not allowed, as you can't be charged for it, so roaming can actually be left on all the time unless you're in closer locations to the US border.

As for the LD options, until recently, the two packages for LD were fine for almost everyone, except for those who desire to call locations other than the 18 countries allowed by the $15 package.  Ensuring the new $5 Canada wide option actually is used first is the primary concern in my view, then use the other addons as required by usage type, and doing the same evaluation of Canada 1st, US second, and international always in the $15.

I'm on a province-wide plan, I rarely use minutes, as I've had the $8 addon since November 2016, and I still have 177 minutes available of Canada and US calling.

If you require any of these options, maybe you should look elsewhere.  Public Mobile isn't for everyone.  I use Public Mobile as the service that it is - no more, no less.  It suits my need.  Until such time it doesn't, no changes required, it has options for me.

@stonechucker wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

4. Calling add-ons: Offer Canada-Only, US-Only and International-Only talk add-ons. That way one doesn't have to worry about what minutes are being subtracted from which add-on as is currently the case.

@geopublic, to be SIMjacked, you've really got to have a poor password keeping secret problem, and/or letting too many people have access to your information you use to set up and maintain your account.  I use a password manager for strong unique passwords, and they are shared with no one.  If someone has access to your phone number and knows your personal information, porting a number out of one service to another provider can happen to anyone, but changing the SIM within the same provider is much more difficult.  Any unauthorized transfer of a phone number can be reversed when it happens, and at that time all account passwords should be forced changed, especially if you use the same password for multiple accounts.  Using a password manager is a best practice - you don't even need to know the password yourself if you allow the system to auto-generate it for you.

Renew plan early.  No, I don't like this idea.  There are already options to get around this issue.  1, for data, buy add-ons. 2, for expired minutes on a limited calling plan, buy LD minutes.  For expired SMS on the $10 plan, immediate change to the $15 plan, the extra $5 is a no brainer.

US Roaming - pick a date.  Not required, as the majority of folks will not need to activate the roaming until they're travelling to the US, or already there.  *Subscribers* need to make their devices ready (ie roaming allowed, search for a network, allow data roaming) ahead of time.  The beauty about PM is the domestic roaming is not allowed, as you can't be charged for it, so roaming can actually be left on all the time unless you're in closer locations to the US border.

As for the LD options, until recently, the two packages for LD were fine for almost everyone, except for those who desire to call locations other than the 18 countries allowed by the $15 package.  Ensuring the new $5 Canada wide option actually is used first is the primary concern in my view, then use the other addons as required by usage type, and doing the same evaluation of Canada 1st, US second, and international always in the $15.

I'm on a province-wide plan, I rarely use minutes, as I've had the $8 addon since November 2016, and I still have 177 minutes available of Canada and US calling.

If you require any of these options, maybe you should look elsewhere.  Public Mobile isn't for everyone.  I use Public Mobile as the service that it is - no more, no less.  It suits my need.  Until such time it doesn't, no changes required, it has options for me.

@stonechucker  So i guess in your world there is no room from improvement.Smiley Sad

There's always room for improvement, these just are not *must have* in my opinion.

Costs associated with making these happen are costs better spent on resolving issues that currently continue to plague Public Mobile.