cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TO Use US Roam correctly, Here's the Proper Steps to Follow Protocols

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire
  • 1) Go into Self-Serve or Dial *611 from your handset( Exclaimer: To purchase an Add-On from *611 U must have a Credit Card Registered so as to allow transaction OR Available Credit in Self-Serve) When U log into your Self-Serve Portal, look for the Add-Ons section, That is where the Add-Ons List is located, remember that.
  • 2) You MUST have a Talk Plan Minimum to have Add-On Roaming option, Will NOT Fucntion without a Talk Plan
  • 3) The $19 Grandfathered Prov-Wide ONLY Talking Plan is NOT Compatible with the US Roam, it ALSO has NO Data or Txt  so you would NEED to change Plan to benefit from US Roam
  • 4) ONCE You have the US Roam Add-On and ready to Cross Border, Remember to Go into your Network settings in your device settings and switch Data Roaming On, to enable Data( when you enable, device has disclaimer that Roaming Data can be costly and incur fees, Which would NOT apply as Data is similar set-up to Regular Data Add-On, Except it ONLY lasts 10 Days currently)(IMPORTANT: Once U Purchase the Roam Add-On, U ONLY have 10 Days, AFTER that, any left-over Data is Forfeited)(Attn: The way the Add-Ons Roam is Structured, U CANNOT Stack the Roam Add-Ons, BUT If U purchase another ONE day Prior to end of your Current Roam Add-On, It will Continue unabated) and then to your Network Settings and Switch off Auto, and then MANUALLY choose AT&T/T-Mobile.
  • 5) Doing these steps will save You the Hassles of issues that may occur
  • 6) If You have tried these steps and the Service does NOT Function still, Contact PM ASAP to report issue, when You purchased the Add-On and such, so that PM can look into the issue and correct it

P.S.

IF You have NO Roam Add-Ons purchased, U will still receive Incoming SMS Txts, BUT will be Unable to reply back

P.S.S.

You MUST have a Talk Add-On to Dial *611, otherwise Function is NOT available

The Grandfathered Plans $25-$60 are Eligible to take advantage of the US Roam Add-Ons

12 REPLIES 12

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@makkahn28 @imm1304 I can confirm that on the Black Friday long weekend I was in the Seattle area with another PM customer.  She did not add any US roaming options at all (was content to just use data when available over public WiFi, for this short one-night trip), however, she was able to receive text messages while in the US just fine.  Of course, she could not respond, but did receive.

I'm thinking there are a few possible explanations:

1) Stopping inbound texts is still a work in progress and eventually they will not come in at all unless you have the appropriate US Roaming add-on(s), 

OR

2) They do seem to send you a text when you first connect to a US tower welcoming you and telling you about the roaming options.  Perhaps they need inbound texts to be enabled in order to do that, and they will stick around?

OR

3) They intentionally left incoming texts active to entice you to want to purchase roaming option(s) while in the US.  AKA you don't buy any roaming add-ons, you travel to the US, and start getting texts but when you try to reply you get a message back saying you can't without the add-on.  You might be enticed to then purchase some roaming add-on(s) to be able to respond etc.

I don't know where the reality lies.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Actually @imm1304, here's what I read and interpreted:

The Old Grandfathered Plans, $25, $40, $45, $60 are Eligible for the Roaming Add-Ons, the Old Grandfathered $19 is Not, 

The NEW Rate Plans, EVEN If U get a Prov-Wide ONLY Talk, are Eligible as well.

Kinda strange the Grandfathered $19 is Not eligible, Prov-Only Talk, YET If U get Similar on NEW Rate Plan it's Eligible, kinda strange but ok, I can understand

imm1304

@theoc198, you absolutely can purchase just data or just sms US roaming add-on.. or any other US roaming add-on option from the available list. 

Makkahn is referring to the base plan at home.  That you need to be on one of the newer plans that includes talk.  

Alexo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

What about reports that purchasing the roaming add-on locks people's accounts.

theoc198
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@makkahn28 wrote:
  • 2) You MUST have a Talk Plan Minimum to have Add-On Roaming option, Will NOT Fucntion without a Talk Plan

So I can't just purchase a 1 gb $20 add-on? I have no need for voice when traveling but I need data so does this mean I'll have to pay $28 for 1 gb of roaming data? 

Well, at least I got this Info out, so that IF it helps PPL solve the Issues more effectively, Perhaps PM can put in the list, so that PPL can have peace of mind

imm1304

Well, if its working then lets leave it alone 🙂

I just happened to be online when this question was asked and the answer came from Brooke that it won't work.  

Oh well, I would just buy max data instead of sms if incoming sms works.  

@imm1304, I did not know that, I only read some PPL have said they received  Incoming SMS Txt and had NO Add-Ons purchased, as a form of test.

PM should certainly verify this so PPL don't get confused

imm1304

Hey @makkahn28,

Great post.  Nice to see things spelled out thoroughly and clearly.

Clarification is in order:  Brooke_C replied to someone else that the incoming sms will only work if roaming sms add-on is purchased.  If no US roaming add-on is purchased that includes sms, then incoming sms will not reach you while in the US.  

PPL with Old Canada-Wide Txt should NOT have any issues, as far as I know

Actually, What I meant, The O'l $19 GF Prov-Wide Talk Only, Has NO Txt at all

U need Talk Plan for US Roam Add-Ons to work, as far as I heard, U don't need a Txt Plan included to use the US Roam Txt Add-On, JUST a Talk Plan Min

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

"IF You have NO Roam Add-Ons purchased, U will still receive Incoming SMS Txts, BUT will be Unable to reply back"

Interesting, I guess its not for those on grandfathered plan with Canada-wide text. 

Need Help? Let's chat.