cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: New message note/warning

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I noticed that people often post their phone number or even credit card information in threads when they need help.  

Maybe a little note can be added somewhere when a user creates a new message or makes a reply telling them not to include personal information.  Could be something like this:

pmsuggestion.jpg

8 REPLIES 8

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@SD08 wrote:

Agreed.  Excellent idea.

I encountered an example recently that included the whole works: name, credit card number, card expiry date, and 3-digit CVV code from the back of the card.  Yikes!

Where did you book the vacation to  lol .I am surprised how many people and that info without really knowing who it goes to

Seriously...it's puzzling. Even if people are under the impression that this isn't a public forum, just the obvious fact that so many customers are able to see and post throughout the forum should give them pause before they post private details.

P.S.  Sorry for the delayed reply. I was busy ordering from the 5-star room service.  LOL

@SD08 wrote:

Agreed.  Excellent idea.

I encountered an example recently that included the whole works: name, credit card number, card expiry date, and 3-digit CVV code from the back of the card.  Yikes!

Where did you book the vacation to  lol .I am surprised how many people and that info without really knowing who it goes to

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Agreed.  Excellent idea.

meocon
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@MacMe that's a great suggestion. I recommend place the notice under "Subject" box with red words so people cannot miss that

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@MacMe, great suggestion but people won't even look at it.  I have a similar message in my signature and still get all kinds of private messages with that info in it

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest something auto-sensing in the text. A passive line of text might more likely be ignored. Maybe detecting a series of 3 or more numbers and then a pop-up warns asking if these numbers are private information and then explains why not to do that. Some forums can detect short replies. Some can detect cuss words. Maybe there's a way to detect a series of numbers in Lithium.

But then, if people aren't aware or care about exposing their information then who is anybody else to care? With all these social networking systems people are exposing private information all the time.

tqlam
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Agree, personal information shouldn't be added to a discussion message.   Adding a warning message in message editor is good idea for new users.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Great idea!  @Alan_K, @Brooke_C, please consider this suggestion.

Need Help? Let's chat.