cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Staying with PM

MEU_21
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So, I come back from vacation and find PM's text about the price increase, the reversal, and now the mass exodus to the guy in psychadelic spandex. Wow.

For someone like me who doesn't need canada-wide, nor the full 4GB (I use about 3GB/m), and already have another 2.5 months vested in the next pay cycle, Koodo's deal is not worth it for me. It makes no sense to pay extra for data I wouldn't even use.

I'm perplexed by all the moth being drawn to 5GB/$40 flame. Overall, the trend is towards plans with greater data, for all providers. Despite all the fears about what may happen to PM, Koodo is no less isolated and has no better track record.

I'm willing to call the bluff and stay with PM, especially as it meets my needs and the plans should drop with loyalty... removing the rewards will impact not just those on the fall promo, but all PM subscribers... so, I doubt they will remove it.

That being said, if a more attractive deal is provided in the future, I will definitely consider it.

42 REPLIES 42

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@MoreYummywrote:

Does koodo let you renew plan earlier to reset the cycle?

nope. that is why they can charge you overage fees

Does koodo let you renew plan earlier to reset the cycle?

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

i agree with you, and I am taking the chance right now and staying put

MVP

@torontokriswrote:

@MVPwrote:

@guinness22wrote:

Post pay is 70 dollars a GB if u go over . 

Well, I believe, techically, it is a $7 per 0.1GB (they charge it in  those increments), but  this does not  make  the whole plan less ugly 🙂

P.S.  Not sure about my statement above. Does Koodo really charge overages per extra 0.1GB  or per full 1GB? 

$7/100MB unsure if they go down into the KB level or simply $7. You have to authorize this extra as part of their shock free data. So if you get to your limit it cuts you off and texts you to okay the additional. 

OK,sure, thanks, even  $7/100MB seem slike a  hard stop on data, nobody wants to pay this price 🙂

MVP

@will13amwrote:

@mimmowrote:

@will13am it has probably been said before but if PM had done a similar migration offer and price increase as they did to legasy customers I doubt there would have been the huge back lash.  i think many people would have accepted a $3 increase with few complaints.  

What the future of our plans will be is uncertain.  If history (this offer and the ones offered to legasy customers) is to say anything i think future migration offers will be on par to the current plans they want us to leave.  the current 1gb bonus is just to wash away that failed attempt.    

So, what you are saying is that next time around the price increase will be more reasonable and they will dust off a migration offer and present it as an option to mitigate the price increase yet again.  If that is the game plan then it is not good.  You will have a lot higher prices staying with this service.  Unless the migration offers are expected to be better and better, it might not be so bad to take this one.  When you look at it, the frequency of price increases seem rather high.  How much longer do you think you can stay?  I hope you don't have visions of paying $99 per renewal in roughly 4 years time still.

By the way, the exodus is gathering momentum in spite of no price increase at the moment.  That suggests those leaving don't even want to hang around for a future price increase, not even if less than $10.

But the price increase is also equally likely on the side of Koodo, is not it?

So this has to be factored in too.

(unless PM has some extreme urge now to get rid of Fall2016promo bunch)

Watoko

@will13amgood to know.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@guinness22wrote:

Does anybody no the date PM to  close out LTE . Plans Will 3g be only on Pm then . Might LTE move to Koodo at 45 a GB .

No need to spread fear ... And even publics 3G is really LTE capped to 3mbps

@Watokowrote:

@will13amwrote:

@Korthwrote:

Reading through a bunch of the other active threads here where people are discussing the Koodo offers to PM refugees, I see a lot of variations of:

"Try talking to another Koodo rep, and another, and another, until you get one who'll give you the deal"

"You'll probably have to drive a few miles to other Koodo stores, like I did"

"You have to give the Koodo people the website links so they can see all the promo details"

"You just have to be patient, polite but firm, try to haggle a bit, they never start off with their best offer"

"YMMV"

etc

That alone is more than enough reason enough for me to stay with PM.

I have to move from rep to rep, drive from store to faraway store, be persistent and haggle and negotiate for the offer they're supposedly offering me?  I have to come with all the information they need to know their own price?  I have to work hard into earning them a sales commission?

I don't expect to haggle over grocery prices at Save-On or Walmart.  I also don't expect that other customers will be able to haggle for prices and deals different than mine.  Ridiculous.

If Koodo wants my business then they have to make their offer and wait until I decide to accept or reject it on their terms - and if I walk into their shop only to find their offer is not what they promised then I walk right back out.

I'm not a misanthrope or shy of confrontation or any of that, quite the opposite.  I just don't waste my time playing other peoples' games, if that means I lose out on a killer deal then so be it, in this business there are a dozen alternatives who are eager to take new customers.

I fully agree that the price increase was not well planned as was the surprise migration plan revision.  A lot of agents out there haven't got the memo yet.  As the days go by, they will and the uniformity of service for the Public Mobile migrants will improve.  For me I try to be careful and not be the first in line or the guy having to turn out the lights.  I am in the mid pack right now, readying to make the move.  I am armed with research information and secured a name I can trust at a local kiosk when I am ready to make the move. 

This is me right now. I'm looking for stability and not have to wonder when my plan will increase day in and day out in light of the recent events. PM has already left a sour taste in my mouth. Sure I will be losing out on referral and loyalty bonuses, but I expected to pay $40/month anyway when I signed up with PM, so these extra bonuses are just a nice addition. The extra GB is a nice incentive, something that is not even remotely close in price comapred to other carriers. I am thinking we will not get additional incentives at the same price. They are trying to move people up the value chain, not provide so much incentive to move that it would literally make no difference to them if they just increased the price at PM.

I am just waiting until I get that official offer from them as my number is still currently linked to the 4GB migration offer (and until my next renewal in mid-March).

Don't wait for the second message with the new offer.  It ain't gonna happen. You just need to proceed by going to a store where the agent is familiar with the new offer.  I did my first migration.  No major surprises.  It's 5 gigs.  

@guinness22wrote:

Does anybody no the date PM to  close out LTE . Plans Will 3g be only on Pm then . Might LTE move to Koodo at 45 a GB .

Who said PM is getting rid of LTE?  If you say a Koodo rep I will laugh.  I haven't heard anything about this yet and won't believe it until is announced by an actual PM employee

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

torontokris

@MVPwrote:

@guinness22wrote:

Well, I believe, techically, it is a $7 per 0.1GB (they charge it in  those increments), but  this does not  make  the whole plan less ugly 🙂

P.S.  Not sure about my statement above. Does Koodo really charge overages per extra 0.1GB  or per full 1GB? 

$7/100MB unsure if they go down into the KB level or simply $7. You have to authorize this extra as part of their shock free data. So if you get to your limit it cuts you off and texts you to okay the additional. 

MVP

@guinness22wrote:

PhoneSeeker

@guinness22wrote:

$70/GB is a great deal for some people. Smiley LOL

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Watoko

@will13amwrote:

@Korthwrote:

Reading through a bunch of the other active threads here where people are discussing the Koodo offers to PM refugees, I see a lot of variations of:

"Try talking to another Koodo rep, and another, and another, until you get one who'll give you the deal"

"You have to give the Koodo people the website links so they can see all the promo details"

"You just have to be patient, polite but firm, try to haggle a bit, they never start off with their best offer"

"YMMV"

etc

I have to move from rep to rep, drive from store to faraway store, be persistent and haggle and negotiate for the offer they're supposedly offering me?  I have to come with all the information they need to know their own price?  I have to work hard into earning them a sales commission?

I don't expect to haggle over grocery prices at Save-On or Walmart.  I also don't expect that other customers will be able to haggle for prices and deals different than mine.  Ridiculous.

If Koodo wants my business then they have to make their offer and wait until I decide to accept or reject it on their terms - and if I walk into their shop only to find their offer is not what they promised then I walk right back out.

I'm not a misanthrope or shy of confrontation or any of that, quite the opposite.  I just don't waste my time playing other peoples' games, if that means I lose out on a killer deal then so be it, in this business there are a dozen alternatives who are eager to take new customers.

I fully agree that the price increase was not well planned as was the surprise migration plan revision.  A lot of agents out there haven't got the memo yet.  As the days go by, they will and the uniformity of service for the Public Mobile migrants will improve.  For me I try to be careful and not be the first in line or the guy having to turn out the lights.  I am in the mid pack right now, readying to make the move.  I am armed with research information and secured a name I can trust at a local kiosk when I am ready to make the move. 

This is me right now. I'm looking for stability and not have to wonder when my plan will increase day in and day out in light of the recent events. PM has already left a sour taste in my mouth. Sure I will be losing out on referral and loyalty bonuses, but I expected to pay $40/month anyway when I signed up with PM, so these extra bonuses are just a nice addition. The extra GB is a nice incentive, something that is not even remotely close in price comapred to other carriers. I am thinking we will not get additional incentives at the same price. They are trying to move people up the value chain, not provide so much incentive to move that it would literally make no difference to them if they just increased the price at PM.

I am just waiting until I get that official offer from them as my number is still currently linked to the 4GB migration offer (and until my next renewal in mid-March).

The difference is, I don't qualify for post paid, as I have a poor credit rating.  Prepaid is right now, my only option.

MVP

Totally agree with the OP.

I especially like the flexibility of the data over 3 months. Suits me perfectly.

If you take into account this flexibility, "effectively" you have 5 or maybe even 6 GB/month.,,

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Garry yes you pay for both,  there have been several lists of "prepay vs post pay" already discussed.  which i will not get into.  But to sum it up  in post paid you do not know what your final bill might be until you get the bill.

Garry

In all honesty......

What difference does it really make whether it's prepaid or postpaid? You're paying for the service that you use or choose. 

At McDonalds you prepay for food...........At Swiss Chalet dining room you post pay.......... Any difference? Do people stop going to dine-in restaurants because of this?

I just don't see any real arguement/issue about this pre/post pay topic......

The biggest issue is that the offers are for Postpaid plans, and I do not want a post paid plan.

If I'm given an increase in the future, I will decide at that time if I will accept the increase, look for a smaller plan at a reasonable price, or vacat from Public Mobile.

I do not need more than Province Wide (I could do local only minutes/unltd) voice, International text and MMS is overkill also, and I average 4-5 GB over 90 days.  I have lots of options... just do not force me on Post Paid.

@Korthwrote:

@will13amwrote:
A lot of agents out there haven't got the memo yet.

Maybe my viewpoint is biased because I'm in a production-based industry, not a service-based industry.  A business where you do not market products you can't produce and you do not sell items when you don't even have all the parts to make them in stock.  Basically an industry where if you offer anything to a client then you'd better be able to deliver or you lose, everyone gets briefed at the meetings, everyone knows the plan, everyone gets the memo.

You are comparing apples to oranges.  The product which is really just a promo code and a few mouse clicks is there.  It is just that a lot of agents don't know which code and mouce clicks to use and up giving customers the wrong plan.  

@mimmowrote:

@will13am it has probably been said before but if PM had done a similar migration offer and price increase as they did to legasy customers I doubt there would have been the huge back lash.  i think many people would have accepted a $3 increase with few complaints.  

What the future of our plans will be is uncertain.  If history (this offer and the ones offered to legasy customers) is to say anything i think future migration offers will be on par to the current plans they want us to leave.  the current 1gb bonus is just to wash away that failed attempt.    

So, what you are saying is that next time around the price increase will be more reasonable and they will dust off a migration offer and present it as an option to mitigate the price increase yet again.  If that is the game plan then it is not good.  You will have a lot higher prices staying with this service.  Unless the migration offers are expected to be better and better, it might not be so bad to take this one.  When you look at it, the frequency of price increases seem rather high.  How much longer do you think you can stay?  I hope you don't have visions of paying $99 per renewal in roughly 4 years time still.

By the way, the exodus is gathering momentum in spite of no price increase at the moment.  That suggests those leaving don't even want to hang around for a future price increase, not even if less than $10.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

There are some who doesnt want to move because they just paid recently.  Even they like the plan.

torontokris

@Korthwrote:

@torontokriswrote:

What did Koodo market that they didn't fulfill?

I know Koodo has been (and still is) trying to sort everything and everyone out.  But their own people don't know what to do with all these PM customers showing up in response to offers Koodo has been (and still is) sending out.  

I know many PM customers scored the Big Deal, congrats.  But many others are still jumping through hoops, waiting for a response or approval or another chance.  Some are disaffected because they grabbed Koodo's offer and missed out on Koodo's subsequent better offers.  To me this is failed "product" delivery, Koodo should have had the "product" ready to go and all their people onboard before they marketed it.

I'll agree they should have had all reps on board ready for the influx or send out a memo first. however you keep talking about failed  delivery and promises. I again ask who went to a Koodo both and was denied the 4gb plan they were promised and given a code for? What Koodo subsequent offers? Koodo never officially released a 5gb plan. Someone leaked the internal code and that's where people are going store to store to get and haggle for. But they were never promised it. Nobody was. 

@torontokriswrote:

What did Koodo market that they didn't fulfill?

I know Koodo has been (and still is) trying to sort everything and everyone out.  But their own people don't know what to do with all these PM customers showing up in response to offers Koodo has been (and still is) sending out.  The first thing Koodo sells which PM doesn't is helpful, useful, trouble-free face-to-face service - and they're already failing to deliver the moment PM customers walk in the door.

I know many PM customers scored the Big Deal, congrats.  But many others are still jumping through hoops, waiting for a response or approval or another chance.  Some are disaffected because they grabbed Koodo's offer and missed out on Koodo's subsequent better offers.  To me this is failed "product" delivery, Koodo should have had the "product" ready to go and all their people onboard before they marketed it.

torontokris

@Korthwrote:

@will13amwrote:

Maybe my viewpoint is biased because I'm in a production-based industry, not a service-based industry.  A business where you do not market products you can't produce and you do not sell items when you don't even have all the parts to make them in stock.  Basically an industry where if you offer anything to a client then you'd better be able to deliver or you lose, everyone gets briefed at the meetings, everyone knows the plan, everyone gets the memo.

@Korth same comment as I posted above. What did Koodo market that they didn't fulfill? The problem is people are trying to get offers that were not sent to them or they were not eligible for. Then crying on the forums when they don't get 5Gb and a free Sim that was never promised to them in the first place.

torontokris

@Korthwrote:

"YMMV"

etc

@Korth so are you saying Koodo refused you or someone you know or someone on this forum the 4gb $40 plan after sending you/them the text? Otherwise who's running around not getting what they were promised and Koodo not fulfilling them? Because half the people who are denied are not eligible for the promo plan and went in with a code that they did not get text message or offered to them expecting to just get the plan. The other half are taking an unpublished 5gb offer probably meant for loyalty or to persuade people who were on the fence... And then complain in here that they didn't get it. Well they were never offered it to start. 

The other posters are complaining about a free Sim that also was never promised to them. 

@will13amwrote:

@Korthwrote:

"YMMV"

etc

@mimmowrote:

Don't discount the value of the extra gig to the typical affected customer.  As I don't use it regularly, it is worth something but less to those who come close or hit the 12 barrier every 90 days.  Another perspective is that the extra gig is the flexibility that 12 gigs over 90 days offers.  For those rare months that I do hit 4 gigs, I would be into overage territory if I want my data to continue. 

Need Help? Let's chat.