Did you mean: 

Signal reception.

Apain
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Wondering how my phone has gone to 3-4 bars to a constant 0-1 bars
13 REPLIES 13

UncleBill
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Hi I'm sorry for my last misleading post. I don't know why I think you have a blackberry. Now I know you have a Samsung S5.

For S5, settings>more networks>mobile networks>network mode.

Select WCDMA only.

Give it a try if you have a chance.
Good luck.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Apain further to @UncleBill's suggestion, I found some possibly helpful BB10 instructions for setting preferred network type:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-72415/

If you see those options, you'd want to pick UMTS/GSM, but PM may show different options than Verizon does.  If you find a 2G/3G or 3G only, try those.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

UncleBill

Hi @Apain,

Hope your issue has been resolved by now. if you still experiencing the reception problem, trying the SIM card on another phone is a good way to investigate the problem.

In case you don't have access to another phone at this moment, you can try to limit your connection to 3G only. I'm not familiar with blackberry and don't know how to do it. On some android phone, you can limit your connection to 3G only. Since you mentioned you lived in a fairly rural area, the issue may related to the strength of the LTE signal. 3G normally has better reception compare to LTE.

I think it doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck.

I

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@Apain

Currently, we do not have any known issue in your area. 

Are you able to try out your SIM card in another unlocked phone? 

Thanks,

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

neo911
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just wanted to share my experience with regards to the signal bars on the phone network.

Earlier I was with Wind and although there were 5 bars/dots for signal strength on my iphone at home, they didnt mean much.

Now after porting to PM I have around 3-4 bars/dots on my iphone but the call quality and data quality is much better. I constantly get LTE network data speed even with these 3-4 bars inside my house.

You could also check www.canadianoutages.com to see if there are any specific outages. Again I came across this site earlier and do not know whether it is accurate or not.

Hoping your problem is resolved asap !

srlawren

@Shazia_K are you able to connect with @Apain to see if there are any known service outages in his or her area?  

@Apain how long ago did this start?  Did you try the restart?  Do you have any other phones you could try your PM SIM card in to help narrow it down, as suggested? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

sley

I would suggest popping the sim card into another phone. Maybe ask a family member if you can borrow a phone to try. You need to narrow down whether there's been a network change in your area or whether it's your phone. Alternatively if someone has Telus or Bell you can see if they're getting reception in the same areas. 

Apain
Nothing has changed. Same everything. Service is intermittent. 0 reception in my kitchen and living room. I feel I need to go outside to talk or text on my phone

srlawren

Bars are not an exact sciene.  Are you still getting usable and reliabile service even when you see fewer bars?  If so, I certianly wouldn't panic.  If you are having service issues (making/receiving calls, texts, data), then have you changed anything recently?  Installed a new/different case on the phone?  New/updated apps or OS?  Also, have you rebooted the phone recently?  This can solve a lot of "weird" issues.

@Apain wrote:
I have the Samsung S5. I live in a fairly rural area but recently I'm getting almost nothing at home. Dropped calls and dead air at home. Very frustrating

If you have another phone, is it the same result?

Apain
I have the Samsung S5. I live in a fairly rural area but recently I'm getting almost nothing at home. Dropped calls and dead air at home. Very frustrating

William

its happen on blackberry. but doesnt affect anything

BrrMcGrr
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Apain,

What model phone do you have?

Thank you

Need Help? Let's chat.