cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shows as a long distance but it's not

Amjadllc
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi sir. I have issues in my plan when I call freedom mobile 647-***-**** shows messages this is long distance this is no long distance 

5 REPLIES 5

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stonechucker I stand corrected 🙂

@Lg85, you are incorrect.  A long distance call can exist within a province.  For example, Windsor to Ottawa are both cities in Ontario, and the call is long distance by definition,

However, Public Mobile has Provincial and Canada Wide calling plans, and all calls within the province, on a province wide plan are considered a free call, whether it is long distance or not.

A local call can be made without hearing the message, as it normally can be based on proximity between local area codes, exchanges, but most commonly within the same area code and exchange.

A long distance call, inside or outside the same province, should be dialed with the 1 then the 10 digit number.  This will prevent the charges may be applied message as it is the correct dialing instruction.  Also, adding +1 on all contacts in your contact list will silence the message on all calls.

Please also note, Public Mobile doesn’t follow local dialing area rules, as we know of Ottawa and Hull, although a landline local call, it is an Out of Province call as a Public Mobile customer.

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Amjadllc In which province are you located? If you are on a province wide plan with Public Mobile, and your home province is not in Ontario (as the number you are trying to call with area code 647 is in Ontario), then it is considered long distance. You will need to purchase a long distance add-on in order to call a number with an area code outside your home province.

The long distance add on is $8 for 200 minutes or $15 for 400 minutes. Any unused minutes will roll forward to your next cycle.

closng
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @Amjadllc,

Have you tried adding a +1 in front of the phone number when dialing?

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Hey @Amjadllc,

If you are calling from a number that is outside of the GTA, then technically the 647 area code is long distance according to the old system in place.  Which is not an issue as PM plans include at least provincewide calling.  So, if the call goes through after the message, and you don't have a long distance add-on that is being used up, then simply save the contact with a 1 before the number and you won't get the long distance notification.  

Need Help? Let's chat.