cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Glitch ?

barndoor
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So today i tried to  make a call for parts I needed . Local call . it failed  ... I tried about four times and they all failed . Then I tried to call home to landline  and  four attempts failed . Had three bars.  Such is life ,but the part that concerned me was when pm came on the phone and said I had no minutes left .  My $15 plan was renewed two days ago and I had only made two minutes of calls since that and all todays calls failed  so should be of no significance .  I called 611 and they told me nothing about available minutes .  So my question is ... is this a glitch that happens every once in a while  or am I am I just a lucky one ? 

12 REPLIES 12

@barndoor 

Sadly I would have to say it's isolated to pm. I had cell service (no data) with telus for nearly two decades without these kinds of issues but I did pay thru the nose for that post paid service. But while cost savings was the motivating factor to switch to pm in the end it was new billing errors and sudden poor customer service that prompted the port out to pm.

barndoor

@darlicious wrote:

@barndoor 

It seems to me that when it comes to technology with you if its going to go wrong it will all go wrong at the worst possible time. Do computer systems crash when you go near them? Do you often get the spinning circle of death? I accepted a long time ago that technology and I don't get along. The sooner I accepted that the calmer my world became....not to say all this techno-chaos does not still occur....it does. I just assume it's going to happen so when it does for the most part it does not bother me and in the end it all evens out. I didn't like being dragged into the 21st century with the internet and smartphones but I was but at least I don't have to pay to use it. So I'm even.😃

No actually they don't crash when I walk by .  I use the technology all the time . My issue is when it is made so complicated that only those who use them daily can operate them reliably and when a company like PM apparently can't keep up their technology to avoid glitches like the one here .  Obviously those here  don't mind the issues and having to do workarounds  to keep their equipment working and prefer the cheaper prices . I'm  undecided yet that I'm willing to give up the far more consistent and reliable service of previous company's for the sake of a cheaper price tag . I am shopping again .😞

edited to add .. is this type of thing isolated to PM  or is it a Telus system issue? 

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can try disabling LTE or 4G so the system will use 3G.  The reason being in my case is I get a much stronger signal with 3G since they use lower frequencies which penetrate walls and houses much better.  Furthermore voice calls don't use LTE since system switches to 3G as soon as you use voice calls.  Then goes back to LTE once you end call.  LTE is used for data only and might have slightly faster ping times.   Hope this can be of help.

Namu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I will have to be mindful of these little glitches with my service.

Thank you

@barndoor 

It seems to me that when it comes to technology with you if its going to go wrong it will all go wrong at the worst possible time. Do computer systems crash when you go near them? Do you often get the spinning circle of death? I accepted a long time ago that technology and I don't get along. The sooner I accepted that the calmer my world became....not to say all this techno-chaos does not still occur....it does. I just assume it's going to happen so when it does for the most part it does not bother me and in the end it all evens out. I didn't like being dragged into the 21st century with the internet and smartphones but I was but at least I don't have to pay to use it. So I'm even.😃

barndoor

@darlicious      To clarify  now that I have had a chance to sort out ... they were  "call failed"  because they rang 8 times and no answer  ... somehow the answering machine at home had been shut off and turns out the business I was trying to call was having phone issues . Since I was frustrated and this phone seems to   sense when I am and do strange things without even touching buttons I have no idea what may have actually led up to getting a message from PM that I had used all my minutes up . It ended up that the failed calls used no minutes and everything worked as it should just the PM warning out of the blue that my minutes were gone  . Since in 30 years of other companies I have never received such a notice that was not expected or logical ...it kind of took me by surprise  .  To me this is on the virge  of being unacceptable ... I don't care how big the price break if the company is running crap technology  or won't fix it's issues not sure I want to have to jump through hoops to use their services  . I will carry on but I'm sure not making any referrals . 

@barndoor 

Did your call fail as in not connect or drop the call? Or did you get a message saying....? Did you allow the message to finish to see if the call connected? Reboot your phone? Did the calls use any of your outgoing minutes?

Edit:

Ok I reread your post a few more times and realized you got the glitch just about everyone has experienced at least once. Typically this might last for 10 minutes possibly up to an hour. Very rarely but has been reported to have lasted much longer or constantly reoccurs but this is very rare.

Rebooting the phone will usually fix the issue or leaving the phone alone for 10 minutes. Calling a frequently called number will often sort it out allowing it to go thru then allows all other calls to connect. I have gotten the message when calling voicemail and calling 611. It appears your call to 611 that connected was the little push it needed to resume normal calls. 

I have had this happen maybe 4 or 5 times in over 2 years with pm lasting a few minutes and once about 30 minutes at the most. It also tends to occur a few times in your first 6 months or so and then maybe once a year after that if that.

barndoor

@t_p wrote:

Have you tried using 3G only?

Or re-seating the SIM card? Try in another phone?

Thanks for the suggestions  but I don't see this as being a customer issue ...this is a provider concern from where I stand  .   Phone works fine this morning with  no changes .  Maybe instead of fire sales and giveaways to increase customer numbers   ...a glitch purge might be the way to go . 🙄 

edited to ad ... the phone worked fine yesterday to for that matter.

barndoor

@esjliv wrote:

I have even received this message a few times before on the $25 unlimited calling plan, earlier this year, weird huh? I have seen reports (here in the Community of others with similar experiences).

Weird ? no ... it's sad .       I guess the old adage  stays true ...you get what you pay for . Sigh .. guess it is shopping time again .  😞

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@barndoor wrote:

So today i tried to  make a call for parts I needed . Local call . it failed  ... I tried about four times and they all failed . Then I tried to call home to landline  and  four attempts failed . Had three bars.  Such is life ,but the part that concerned me was when pm came on the phone and said I had no minutes left .  My $15 plan was renewed two days ago and I had only made two minutes of calls since that and all todays calls failed  so should be of no significance .  I called 611 and they told me nothing about available minutes .  So my question is ... is this a glitch that happens every once in a while  or am I am I just a lucky one ? 

Have you tried using 3G only?

Or re-seating the SIM card? Try in another phone?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@barndoor wrote:

@barndoor 

If you have remaining minutes left on your plan, then yes, this is a glitch.

I have even received this message a few times before on the $25 unlimited calling plan, earlier this year, weird huh? I have seen reports (here in the Community of others with similar experiences).

Do a reboot of your phone, and perform a Reset of your Network Settings.

Sometimes going into airplane mode, than back again works.

If calls are not going through at all after do this, than you try asking CSA to check your account. Renewal of account issue, or something perhaps.

@barndoor wrote:

The automated error messages played back to customers do not always give accurate information.This type of error message also sometimes gets heard if a call is being made to a destination that isn't included in the plan.  Other times, simply dialing 1 before the area code and phone number allows the call to be placed.

Need Help? Let's chat.