cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Number (SN) on Activation Form doesn't accept letters

kathy41
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi everyone, just signed up and up and running with a ported number from Freedom but I did notice that when filling the form out on the SN part, it wouldn't accept letters only numbers.  Was it asking for IMEI or SN?  Was a little confused so I ended up leaving it blank and putting both SN and IMEI in the Notes section...it worked out okay but did anyone else notice this?  Thanks Kathy

4 REPLIES 4

@kathy41 wrote:

Hi everyone, just signed up and up and running with a ported number from Freedom but I did notice that when filling the form out on the SN part, it wouldn't accept letters only numbers.  Was it asking for IMEI or SN?  Was a little confused so I ended up leaving it blank and putting both SN and IMEI in the Notes section...it worked out okay but did anyone else notice this?  Thanks Kathy

It's supposed to be the IMEI, but I see that your port got done fine. As for leaving that part blank, the port probably completed because you used either the Freedom account number or PIN as well.  The form really shoudln't say S/N. There isn't someone in front a computer manually processing every porting request, so if you left all of IMEI, account number, and PIN blank, porting should fail. 

CannonFodder
Mayor / Maire

@kathy41 wrote:

Glad you got it working.

The prevailing wisdom here, is that when porting a number from one provider to PM, your account number, with your previous provider, is the preferred item to use. If you can't find it, or get it(like I couldn't), then using either of the other options is then the way to go, i.e. you only use one of the three.

On another topic, just out of curiosity, I'm wondering what prompted you to leave Freedom - was it simply the pricing here was better, or was your reception on Freedom kinda crappy(like I've seen mentioned more than once), poor coverage, or something else?

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

That info was only needed for porting your number over from Freedom. Since your PM account is active and the ported over number is working fine, don't worry about it anymore. It won't affect your PM account in any way.

Welcome to Public Mobile! Smiley Happy

(I can't remember what the activation form asked for anymore lol, but I'm sure IMEI was one of the fields, not sure about SN though)

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@kathy41 wrote:

@kathy41  When setting up a port the preferred method would be to supply the account number instead of the IMEI or SN since only one of those is required. More info can be found here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/activation-account-set-up

You can retrieve the IMEI by going in the settings of your device it's a 15 digit number and contains no letters.

Need Help? Let's chat.