cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Card

Chris76
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Why does the SIM card for Public Mobile cost $10, when most only cost $1 or close to it?

Thanks,

Chris76

12 REPLIES 12

There are lots on Craigslist for free and eBay for $0.00 and up. 

Chris76
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Good to know.  I will check other retailers and price match the sim card.  

Thanks for you feedback.

Christine

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Chris76 ,

I would say, like anything else that is purchased, if you know you can get it at a more reasonable price - shop around or hold out for deals/sales.

@Chris76 

Here's CCS's current prices....its all supply and demand.

Screenshot_20201103-195127~3.pngScreenshot_20201103-195143~2.png

I will give you another example. I worked for a major retailer and had system access to cost of merchandise. So call it what you like. 

You buy a bed. A mattress and box spring. 

The box spring cost is $100

The mattress cost is $350

Cost for both is $450

The regular price is is $1800 - and individual price is $900 each

The 40% off price is $1080 - and individual price is $540 each 

For warranty you must buy a unit (Matt and Box)

Cost $450, selling $1080 and I will let you figure out the markup. 

We rarely sold a bed at regular price. 

Moral of the story.....always buy on sale......and you still pay more than what you should have. But you saw 60% off a hugely inflated price. 

Second moral of of the story.......if you continually see items that sell for 40, 50, 60% off like mechanics tools, paint, gold jewelry and etc. You should consider to never pay full price. 

Telus SIM card $20

Koodo SIM card $10 (or $0 plus $40 connection fee, if you prefer)
Bell SIM card $10

Virgin SIM card $10 (or $0 plus $45 connection fee, if you prefer)

Lucky SIM card $10

Rogers SIM card $10 (plus activation fee)

Fido SIM card $0 (in-store only, along with $40 activation fee)

Chatr SIM card $10

Shaw SIM card $? (plus activation fee)

Freedom SIM card $20 (plus $30 activation fee)

SpeakOut SIM card $10

@Chris76 ... seems to me like "most" of these prepaid operators sell their SIM cards for at least $10 (just like Public Mobile) ... and nobody anywhere sells their SIM cards for $1.

Retailers like Amazon, Best Buy, etc might knock a few dollars off because their SIM card sales make them money in other ways.

Vendors on ebay or craigslist might sell SIM cards dirt cheap. But if you choose this option then I wish you luck and suggest you google up things like "SIM fraud", "SIM swap", "SIM scam", "SIM hack", "SIM crime".

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@Chris76 wrote:

Why does the SIM card for Public Mobile cost $10, when most only cost $1 or close to it?

Thanks,

Chris76

Hi @Chris76 really $1 Public Mobile sim card?  Where?  I love sales!!! lol

Some stores like Walmart will give you a PM sim card for free if you activate with them.

To answer your question why Public Mobile sells sim cards for $10, I would say because that is the actual price of a PM sim card.  So if a customer can get PM sim card for less than $10, then good for the customer for finding a better price.   Cheers!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Chris76 wrote:

Thanks,

Chris76

It is supply and demand in action.

Some retailers sell PM SIM card for $0, $2.99, $10.

@Chris76 wrote:

Thanks,

Chris76

This is for no other reason but to make money. Sellers are allowed to charge whtaever they wish, within any type of agreement that an authorized seller would have with Public Mobile.

LurganIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Good question. That applies to so many things as well. Why is a birthday card $8, a can of Coke $2 etc etc. 

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Chris76 

It does go on sale from time to time. The price includes delivery.

You can also look at CanadianCellSupplies as they will often sell it for less.

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@Chris76 wrote:

Thanks,

Chris76

They do go on sale for $5 and even cheaper at times on Canadian Cell Supplies. You may also get them free at some retail outlets with activation.

Need Help? Let's chat.