cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchased eSim - How do I give it a number?

HardCorwin
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I've just purchased an eSim. It installed fine. But it seems like it's just copied my original Sim card's phone number. I purchased an eSim to get a 2nd phone plan. I'm worried that it has just replaced my physical Sim and not added a new one. Though my phone does register that there are 2 Sims it reads the same phone number for both.

14 REPLIES 14

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@HardCorwin , I haven’t seen anyone mention (I may have missed it), when you sign up for the 2nd account please make sure to use a different email address than the one you used for the 1st account. 🙂

@HardCorwin wrote:

Bummer. How does one get a ew subscription with a new eSIM with out replacing the old one?

If you are looking at getting a different subscription, then uses the change subscription link from plans and add-on tab.  This is for changing subscription for existing account.  If you want a new account, new subscription you need to go through the activation process where you create a new account and add a subscription to the new account.  

There are two options with an esim. 1. buy the esim in the account. It looks like this changes your account to the esim. Which is why I wondered if your physical sim still works in another phone. 2. start a new account and buy the esim in that process.
You wanted a 2nd line. Your needed to use the second option.

HardCorwin

Yes I bought the eSIM through my account. I can't try the physical SIM in another phone.

HardCorwin

Bummer. How does one get a ew subscription with a new eSIM with out replacing the old one?

HardCorwin

I was under the impression that I needed to purchase an eSIM card to activate it with a new plan. It wasn't advertised as a replacement- it just I could purchase an eSIM card- which is what I did.

@HardCorwin wrote:

Yikes. I didn't want to do that. So how should I have gone about it?

If your intention was to activate a new account to an e-SIM, you would use the app and initiate the activation process instead of logging into your existing account and doing a SIM replacement.  

Take the physical sim out and see if all your services are working both in and out.
I don't know what support can do for you but the ticketing system is broken so you have to use the private messaging method. They can be reached at
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Maybe they can revert your physical sim back to the account. Then you can sign up a new account after that. But I don't know.

HardCorwin

I just wanted to add a 2nd phone plan/with a new number. I don't have a 2nd phone to test it with. I tried filing a ticket but keep getting an error message.

For what you were intending to do, I would have removed the physical sim and then did a whole new sign up getting the esim in the process. Then put the physical sim back in to run dual-sim (if your phone can do that).
But try the physical one in another phone to see what it's doing.

HardCorwin

I did log in to my account and purchased it through the app. I'm trying to file a ticket but it keeps giving me an error everytime I hit submit. I don't have 2nd phone to try the physical SIM in. Maybe if I try from my computer instead of my phone.

HardCorwin

Yikes. I didn't want to do that. So how should I have gone about it?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@HardCorwin , you can only have one line (phone number) per account.  So if the account had a physical SIM association and an e-SIM was added, it would replace the physical SIM.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you log in to your account and buy the esim? Can you try your physical sim in another phone?

Need Help? Let's chat.