Did you mean: 

Public mobile

Dkilcup098
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does public mobile sell phones?

20 REPLIES 20

Dkilcup098

Thank you for providing me with that info I was just unsure cause I had family that was with pm years ago and thought maybe they have changed how they operate by providing phones

Dkilcup098

Thank you for providing me with that info I was just unsure cause I had family that was with pm years ago and thought maybe they have changed how they operate by providing phones

@dna2016 wrote:

@Dkilcup098 apparently a few years back PM used a 3rd party vendor to sell unlocked phones, I think they were mostly refurbished, but I guess that service didn't really go anywhere and probably caused more headache than anything else.  Now it's completely bring your own device.  Which to me makes sense since now other providers must sell their phones unlocked, or provide the unlock codes.

You still can purchase phones.through that third party company.  These phones were not warrnatied by Public Mobile, but only by the third party.  I saw it more of as that company paying for.ad space on this site, although only Public Mobile knows what the exact arrangment was.

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Dkilcup098 apparently a few years back PM used a 3rd party vendor to sell unlocked phones, I think they were mostly refurbished, but I guess that service didn't really go anywhere and probably caused more headache than anything else.  Now it's completely bring your own device.  Which to me makes sense since now other providers must sell their phones unlocked, or provide the unlock codes.

Alwyn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Have you tried checking out eBay for cheaper options or even trying to get a used one? Facebook Marketplace and Kijiji sometimes have really good deals. Patience is key there.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Dunkgirl ...there are many people here with the iPhone X and they could afford it because of the savings from going with PM...

@Dkilcup098 A while back, I wrote up an analysis I did comparing getting a new (at the time they were the newest) Galaxy S7 at PM vs. other carriers with a tab option.  All the details are now outdated, but you can see the process I went through to calculate the total cost over 2 years.  Your mileage will of course vary but hopefully this helps you figure out what works best for you:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Practical-example-of-how-PM-saves-you-big...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

tehowennathe
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I recommend the Blu Vivo XI or the bigger version Vivo XI+. All models sold only at Best Buy in the US. If traveling to US you can order online and have it shipped to a store in area your traveling to. They don't ship to Canada. The phone works on PM as I notice it jumps between B2, B4 and B13. It works with AT&T and T-Mobile in the us .It's under $300 starting with the Vivo XI+ which is a 6.2 inch screen. Also if looking for latest operating system it's currently beta testing Android pie and full release soon. I'm on beta and love it.

Dunkgirl

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

I’m looking for an iPhone 10 but not looking to pay full price for it I mean money is no object but just seems crazy expensive for the phones

@Dkilcup098If money is no object you might want to look at Koodo or Telus netowrk, public mobile has no live support and is filled with a ton of various glitches that have been around for years and not fixed. This is a 3rd tier lowest end cell phone provider. Iphone 10 and public mobile doesn't make sense. It's like putting $6000 rims on a $400 car.

@Dunkgirl, I have to respectfully totally disagree with you here.  Your example is not true it is the same network and there are many people here with the iPhone X and they could afford it because of the savings from going with PM.  For many there are no issues with PM and I am over 2 years and very happy with it.  A better example that may have worked for you is taking a Ferrari to a back yard mechanic.  It is only when you need help that you MAY have issues.  But I would never say to anyone who says that money is no object that PM isn't for them.  If they want a call centre and a store front to go to then PM is not for them, but if they are a DIY and can deal with online support then PM can be for anyone regardless of financial resources available.

@ShawnC13  Public mobile.ca. First thing you see

"No phones
No expensive stores
No call centres
No zones
Just savings"

If they missed "no phones" then they probably missed "no call centres".

It's ok. A $400 could mean different things, in my situation I use, it means a car that has a known habit of being mechanically unsound with various non starting issues, car stalls when trying to go on highway, tires fall off when driving and mechanics may not be able to look at your car for weeks at a time but people walking by say why dont you hit the starter with a hammer. It might work but when it doesn't and you need the official mechanic only you are standing outside the garage asking to get fixed staring at your super expensive upgraded rims that you could offered because you have a cheap car.

My example may not be accurate but the point behind it is, the customer needs to figure out what is important to them and where their requirements are and what is best suited for their situation. Don't know if they are existing or to be new but should be made aware of this if they don't even know that public mobile has no phones to sell it sounds like they don't know much.

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

I have used android yes! Just like to switch it up from time to time to see what changes have been made to the phones and the design and what not 

If you are looking at Android not sure if you are into rooting the phone or not but there are plenty of great companies out there.  Xiaomi is a HUGE company out of China that makes all sorts of products it is amazing what they make and their phones are a real value for the specs they give you.  If you are going for Android I would look for one that is Android One and try to avoid phones with manufacturer bloatware on them.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Dunkgirl wrote:

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

I’m looking for an iPhone 10 but not looking to pay full price for it I mean money is no object but just seems crazy expensive for the phones

@Dkilcup098If money is no object you might want to look at Koodo or Telus netowrk, public mobile has no live support and is filled with a ton of various glitches that have been around for years and not fixed. This is a 3rd tier lowest end cell phone provider. Iphone 10 and public mobile doesn't make sense. It's like putting $6000 rims on a $400 car.

@Dunkgirl, I have to respectfully totally disagree with you here.  Your example is not true it is the same network and there are many people here with the iPhone X and they could afford it because of the savings from going with PM.  For many there are no issues with PM and I am over 2 years and very happy with it.  A better example that may have worked for you is taking a Ferrari to a back yard mechanic.  It is only when you need help that you MAY have issues.  But I would never say to anyone who says that money is no object that PM isn't for them.  If they want a call centre and a store front to go to then PM is not for them, but if they are a DIY and can deal with online support then PM can be for anyone regardless of financial resources available.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Dkilcup098

Ok I’m gonna look into that but I never said unlimited money just that is wasn’t and object in making a decision on a new phone 

Dunkgirl

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

Dunkgirl do you know what phones to stay away from? Or what phones I should be looking for? Like brands of phone not service provided phones.

@Dkilcup098This is more of a self-serve brand where users can try to fix there own problem or if need be wait sometimes up to 2 weeks with no cell phone service while they wait for the official public mobile staff (moderator team) just to hear a 1st response. If you have unlimited money, and don't even know what kind of phone will work you may want to think it through.

However to answer your question whatever you want from whatever brand as long as the network uses some form of 3g B 2 and 5, 4G is 5/2/12/13/17/29/4/7 the phone needs to be compatible at least with the primary coverage bands explained here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telus_Mobility The phone needs to be unlocked or already locked to the same network. I would recommend Xiaomi because they are cheap for what you get, but for someone with unlimited money you can get anything you want.

Dkilcup098

I have used android yes! Just like to switch it up from time to time to see what changes have been made to the phones and the design and what not 

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

Dunkgirl do you know what phones to stay away from? Or what phones I should be looking for? Like brands of phone not service provided phones.

Phones are a very personal and subjective item.  @Dkilcup098 are you looking for an Android or iPhone.  You mentioned iPhone X but have you used Android?

Dkilcup098

Well I don’t think the service provider should reflect on the type of phone I buy and use. Also I went with public mobile for the rates and plans not for the phone I use with the service.

Dkilcup098

Dunkgirl

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

Dkilcup098

Dunkgirl

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

@Dkilcup098No they don't but the community (us) can help you find a good deal / choose one if you let us know your budget and what features are important to you.

You need to make sure whatever phone you do end up getting is able to support the same frequencies as the bell/telus network, unlocked and not registered on the blacklist. There are many phones that will not work so either ask for help or do your research.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Dkilcup098 wrote:

No they do not it is a Bring Your Own Device provider!

Need Help? Let's chat.