cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting

denjenhart
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am with public mobile. My question is if I port to another company and want to come back can I use the same SIM card? And will I have the same account or do I have to start from scratch? My number is being ported to Virgin - I upgraded my phone but am looking to port it back ASAP and just pay off the virgin phone on my first bill. Can anyone help me out with how to do this?? Thx!

10 REPLIES 10

davinderkaur

😰No when you came back to public mobile u need new sim and start like a new customer your all rewards gone 😢

thanks

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@denjenhart wrote:

It’s being ported out tonight so I can’t stop it. So there’s no way I can “suspend” my account because I literally just paid. I guess I’ll end up loosing all rewards and will have to start over

It is a done deal if you sent YES to the PM port confirmation text message.

If you want to stop PM from releasing your phone number to Virgin, reply NO to PM port confirmation text message.

Do a test.  If you cannot login to your self-serve account, your account was canceled already.

There is no free lunch/phone.  You will be paying dearly for the Virgin phone if you are planning to cancel after the first bill.  Find out what it balance of your phone account as soon as you sign the contract.   You have 14 days to change you mind and return your phone to the store and you do not own Virgin or the store a penny.  After 14 days, you are locked in for 2 years. 

Read your contract and find out how much is the phone account balance.  You may be paying $20/m for your phone.  Total for 2 years is $20 * 24 = $480.  Your phone account balance may be $1000.  On your 24th payment, your phone account is magically become $0.  But if you leave Virgin before 24 months, you will have to pay the balance on your phone account. 

I have churned a few Virgin phones in the past.  First thing I ask is "what is the phone account balance as soon as I sign the contract".  I will ask how much gift card that retail store will give me for activating a Virgin plan with the phone that I want.  Then, I know how much I will pay for the Virgin phone if I cancel my Virgin plan next day.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @denjenhart

Admittedly, I know very little about Virgin offers for phones, and how those costs are billed to customers when activating a plan on their network.  I'm guessing you may have already done your diligence on this.

When you 'pay off' the phone, will you not be subject to pay both the costs which would have been billed over the retention (contract) period PLUS any applicable phone credits (discounts) which may have been provided on activation?

If you're unsure, please read the service agreement details to be sure.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@denjenhart  If able, just cancel the port to Virgin. Take the cheapest plan, pay off the phone and close the account. 
Change PM to the $15 plan but make your outgoing calls on the Virgin account. 
OR do the port out port in as described earlier. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

denjenhart

It’s being ported out tonight so I can’t stop it. So there’s no way I can “suspend” my account because I literally just paid. I guess I’ll end up loosing all rewards and will have to start over

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@denjenhart wrote:

I am with public mobile. My question is if I port to another company and want to come back can I use the same SIM card? And will I have the same account or do I have to start from scratch? My number is being ported to Virgin - I upgraded my phone but am looking to port it back ASAP and just pay off the virgin phone on my first bill. Can anyone help me out with how to do this?? Thx!

Your PM account will be closed as soon as your number it ported out.

You can switch to the $15 plan and stop paying.  Your account will be suspended.  (0 days after suspension, your account will be canceled and your number will be returned to the provider who give your number.  When you want to come back, you can pay your paln fee and reactivate your PM account.

Since you plan to come back in 30 to 45 days, don't port your number to Virgin.  Setup PM call forward with no answer or not available to your new Virgin phone number.   Minor convenience for couple of months. 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@denjenhart...

once you successfully port out, your PM account is closed. You'd need a new sim to start a new PM account again.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @denjenhart ,

If you ported out your Pubic Mobile number, then you will need to obtain a NEW SIM to port back to Pubic Mobile.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@denjenhart  No sorry. If you port out your account is closed. Your sim is no longer good either. You loose all rewards that you've earned.

To come back. You need a new sim card. New activation and you start brand new again.

Need Help? Let's chat.