cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting to Voip.ms then get a new # here.

ianaway
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

Many month ago, I ported my home phone number to PublicMobile. Now, I want to get my phone number ported to Voip.MS but I need to keep the PublicMobile service working ... with a new phone number so that My kid won't get phone call for me or my wife anymore.

Can anyone help on this ? Any path to follow ?

Thanks !

11 REPLIES 11

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You will find the voip.ms call block a fantastic option then. Also if you make sure your voip.ms Phone Book is up to date. When you see and phone number only on your caller ID you can be suspicous of some kind of solicitiation will be calling. 

Who is the original provider?

If you change your number from your selfserve your old money will go to the original provider.

Usually it is not available instantly.

Maybe you could call them and see if you could open new account there and catch that number.

Keep your public account active the whole time, you don't want to lose all your rewards. Don't port out. 

ianaway

@ddeep91 wrote:

@ianaway wrote:

So I will lose my referal and my friends too ?

@ianaway  Yes, you will lose your account as soon as the number is ported out, unfortunately.

so that's why it's impossible to port the number out and still keep the sim activated. 

The other option is that you can maybe get a new number for your home instead and still keep the current phone number active for your kid. That way you will still be able to keep your referrals/discounts

Cheers

I got a new number for my kids and ... not sure that i will get a new one for the house, anyway ... that's almost just solicitations call ... 🙂

Thanks !

iPhoneUser
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ianaway wrote:

Hi,

Many month ago, I ported my home phone number to PublicMobile. Now, I want to get my phone number ported to Voip.MS but I need to keep the PublicMobile service working ... with a new phone number so that My kid won't get phone call for me or my wife anymore.

Thanks !

As mentioned your best option is to port your PM number to VoIP.ms and let your PM account take its course to close by default. Then open a new account for child. Hopefully you wait til funds evaporate on your PM account  and you lose rewards, loyalty credits and any of those pre Christmas freebies. I moved my land line Telus number to VoIP.ms and it took a few days. So prepare your ATA box ahead of time. In hind site, cost wise, I should have negotiated the $5 a month rate with Telus as VoIP.ms is costing about $12.50 a month. But VoIP.ms has soooooo many great features like call blocking, voicemail can be emailed to you, and we have the land line call forwarded to both of our cell numbers (all 3 phones ring...first one answered, the other 2 stop ringing and if no one answers you set up a default answering device). VoIP.ms is very helpful in setting up accounts and is offering free porting. 

Ps. You could also set up VoIP.ms with one of their numbers as they often have a better choice of numbers available. Then port your PM number to VoIP.ms. Then take the best choice of number for child from PM or port the chosen VoIP.ms number to PM for child. 

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ianaway wrote:

@ianaway  Yes, you will lose your account as soon as the number is ported out, unfortunately.

so that's why it's impossible to port the number out and still keep the sim activated. 

The other option is that you can maybe get a new number for your home instead and still keep the current phone number active for your kid. That way you will still be able to keep your referrals/discounts

Cheers

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@ianaway Sorry, it is impossible to port out your PM number and keep the account. A port out automatically closes an account AND deletes all access to it.

And no, you cannot transfer a number between PM accounts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

ianaway

@gjong26 wrote:

You can go online and change your number through the self server with the same SIM Card.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi... 

Port your home number back to Voip.ms and you should be ok.

I really need to keep that number but on VOIP.MS they said that the number must be active ... so I am unsure ...

gjong26
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You can go online and change your number through the self server with the same SIM Card.

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/Overview/plan-and-Add-ons/ChangePlanLandingPage/?PageRedirect=Redi... 

Port your home number back to Voip.ms and you should be ok.

ianaway

Any way to simply activate a new number on another accounrt ans switch number before porting and closing the new one ?..

@ddeep91 wrote:

@ianaway wrote:

Hi,

Thanks !

Hey @ianaway 

You will need to open a new account for your son and get him a new number.

Make sure you use a different email address for him when making another account.

You will require a new Simcard as well.

Cheers

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@ianaway once you port, your account is cancelled. You will have to set up a new account with new SIM and email. Remember to remove your credit card before porting. Your account has to be active in order to port your number(unless to Telus or Koodo).

@ianaway wrote:

Hi,

Thanks !

ddeep91
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@ianaway wrote:

Hi,

Thanks !

Hey @ianaway 

You will need to open a new account for your son and get him a new number.

Make sure you use a different email address for him when making another account.

You will require a new Simcard as well.

Cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.