cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting Out Number

abbemh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, 

My mother is looking into joining public mobile, although she wants to keep her old number.. Since Public Mobile does not have a call center, we were wondering how she could port out her number to her new public mobile account when she makes one. 

Anyone Know how she can do this?

15 REPLIES 15

Habs48
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

you can keep the old number 

when you activate with old account number from your old company

trgodin

Thank you

It's best to create your own thread when you have a question.

@trgodin wrote:

I am having some difficulties with porting my phone over. I can receive calls and text messages without issues but when my number is called it says my number is not in service. My number was set up on a Bell Business account that was shut down. Yet this has always been my number prior to business account talking over please help

Try rebooting your phone.

If that does not work submit a ticket.

If you are having trouble with your services, the next step is to contact a moderator. Here is the link to create a ticket through SIMon: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help   -> Click on Chat with Simon - on the line "ask me something" write "moderator" -> then click on "account specific question" -> afterward click on "no, I want a human" -> finally you will see an answer "submit a ticket Click me!"

@trgodin Was the account shut down BEFORE you attempted the port? If so Bell owns the number now. You'll have to call them and see if you can get it back.

trgodin

I am having some difficulties with porting my phone over. I can receive calls and text messages without issues but when my number is called it says my number is not in service. My number was set up on a Bell Business account that was shut down. Yet this has always been my number prior to business account talking over please help

abbemh

Thanks everyone!

@marimacas wrote:

Nomber porting on the Public Mobile website is not difficult. I did for the number port from Koodo without any issue and it took to complete within 2 hours. Please prepare for your mother's old carrier's account number, security/account PIN and IMEI which will be required for the process.

If you do not see the connection signal, it is recommended that you restart your phone after about 2 hours. For a $10 credit using a referral code, it will be added within 72 hours (I received it the next day).

When porting, and with the exception of of a few carriers (notably Petro Canada/Speakout), the account PIN and IMEI of the old carrier is not needed if you have the account number. In most cases, you want to be using only the account number and not use the other two options.

marimacas
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Nomber porting on the Public Mobile website is not difficult. I did for the number port from Koodo without any issue and it took to complete within 2 hours. Please prepare for your mother's old carrier's account number, security/account PIN and IMEI which will be required for the process.

If you do not see the connection signal, it is recommended that you restart your phone after about 2 hours. For a $10 credit using a referral code, it will be added within 72 hours (I received it the next day).

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@abbemh wrote:

Hello, 

My mother is looking into joining public mobile, although she wants to keep her old number.. Since Public Mobile does not have a call center, we were wondering how she could port out her number to her new public mobile account when she makes one. 

@abbemh 

1. Buy a Public Mobile SIM card. Your choices are: Buy online or buy online from amazon of find a store.
  2. Activate your SIM card by clicking here (Don't forget to use a referral code to save an additional $10). Pick a temporary number and once your activation is complete and everything works to your satisfaction then port your number over from Bell.
  3. Port Number: Access your selfserve account and select the Change Phone Number option. Enter your Bell account number, name on the account and your Bell phone number. Ports usually take up to 4 hours to complete. Just keep using your Bell sim until it stops working. Once that happens you can start using your Public Mobile sim.

Welcome to Public Mobile! Smiley Happy

Jackhyf63
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@abbemh 

I suggest getting your SIM and activating with PM - you will get a PM number - after you are certain all is working well then go the Self-Serve site port your current number over .

boundless

Note that the entire porting process can take up to 2 days, depending on her old service provider. However it often takes less than 6 hours for everything to get working!

@abbemh wrote:

Hello, 

As long as the number is eligbible to be ported to Public Mobile, she can do that.  The number needs to be active and it needs to be from a city that Public Mobile/Telus offers phone numbers for. The porting process can usually completed from within the customer's online self serve account.  Some community members suggest that a new phone number be used to activated the Public Mobile service, and then to do the number porting at a later time.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@abbemh wrote:

Hello, 

You can do it through self-service account. Go to Plan and addons - Change Phone number section

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@abbemh wrote:

Hello, 

@abbemh , are you going to activate in a retail location or at home?  If you activate at a retail location I would get them to port over her current number to her new PM account and make sure all services are up and running before you leave the retail location.  If you are activating at home PM recommends taking a new number to ensure the account is up and running.  You can then log into your self serve account and go to change number.  There you will be able to select Port in from another cellular provider.  Follow those steps and that will bring her current number to PM.  Her number she has now must be on an active plan to be ported.  Tell her not to cancel it as when you port out that will cancel her old service with that provider

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.