cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans for new users?

DanV
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am interested in then30 days for $30 unlimited talk 1 GB plan for new subscribers but questions,.

How long am I a new subscriber?  If I pay for 30 days will I be on a different plan for the subsequent renewals?

I notice the plan specifies 3G although much of the Telus network is LTE.  Will my data be throtled to 3G?

I see references in the community to roaming in the US but could not find details.  

Going through the community website I find this forum friendly and useful.  It does give me some confidence in signing on for this cell service.

5 REPLIES 5

The speed on this plan isn't actually full 3g.  The 3g-type network technologies are actually  capable of quite a bit faster than you'll get on this plan.  The maximum donwload speed that you'll be able to get is about 3Mbps, regardless of the actual data network type that you're connected to.

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13amwrote:

@matbasmwrote:

@DanV, Once you are on the 30$ plan, you remain on that plan.  You do not get bumped to another rate at the end of the 30 days.  As for the 3G speed, YES, you are on LTE, but throttled to 3G speeds.

You can see the various US roaming plans here (about half way down). 

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

@matbasm, I need to correct you on one critical item.  The plan will not change from renewal to renewal.  However, the price is not guaranteeed to change as we have seen from the big hoopla with the proposed $10 per month increase on the 2016 fall promo.  The fact is the terms of service provides for changes to anything with 30 days notice.  An interpretation of the terms of service suggested that price will not increase. But that is just an interpretation. 

@will13am, I wasn't implying that the price would remain forever.  Just that he wouldn't be bumpted to the regular price after the first month was up.  I am very well aware that PM can raise rates any time.

The New Customer promo is similar to my early-2015 grandfathered "90 days for $90" plan - Unlimited Province-wide Talk, Unlimited Canada&US Text, 1GB (4G/LTE) Data.

Public Mobile can discontinue or change plans/prices at any time - they always could - they're only obligated to complete the billing cycle (30 days or 90 days) and provide a minimum of 30 days advance notice.

Public Mobile discontinued the Legacy/Pioneer plans after 3 years.  With plenty of advanced notice.  With options to renew a new PM plan (within the current plan structure) or to migrate to a special Koodo plan - and to basically get the same or better service at only slightly increased price.  All good things come to an end, but 3 years is pretty much "forever" in cellphone market, lol.  And those Legacy/Pioneer customers who chose to remain with PM continue to offset this slight price increase with ongoing Loyalty Rewards, etc.

But to be honest, I don't expect them to jerk this New Customer plan around.  At least not for a few years.  It's only a few bucks cheaper than equivalent Build-Your-Own-Plan options and it's a good package for attracting customers of the sort who just want working phone service which covers the basics cheap.  Recent events have made it clear that Telus (and Koodo and Public Mobile) are targeting the high-data users for price hikes and promos ... the low-ARPU $30/month 1GB folks are worth gathering but aren't worth milking: bumping prices will just move them away to another low-cost carrier.

@matbasmwrote:

@DanV, Once you are on the 30$ plan, you remain on that plan.  You do not get bumped to another rate at the end of the 30 days.  As for the 3G speed, YES, you are on LTE, but throttled to 3G speeds.

@matbasm, I need to correct you on one critical item.  The plan will not change from renewal to renewal.  However, the price is not guaranteeed to change as we have seen from the big hoopla with the proposed $10 per month increase on the 2016 fall promo.  The fact is the terms of service provides for changes to anything with 30 days notice.  An interpretation of the terms of service suggested that price will not increase. But that is just an interpretation. 

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.