cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone does not ring

Mel3
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I just created an account for my father-in-law. The card is active, everything seems fine but for some reason, his cell phone won't ring when I test it. My call is not even displayed in his phone as ''missed'' or anything. His ringer is on, volume is on, it is unlocked...would someone know what is the problem? Really bizarre.

Thank you in advance.

Melanie

20 REPLIES 20

Mark0223
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great, glad to hear! 

Mark0223
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, 

I also experienced the same issue as well ‘cause I just activated my account this morning. The problem is that your phone number is transferring to the new SIM card. So you just have to wait for it to be completed, although if your plans include data, then your data should work right away - just won’t be able to call or receive calls. 

Have you tried powering off your phone then powered it back on? If you did, that’s all you have to do. Then just give it maybe 4 hours top as it took about 3 hours nearly 4 for mine although it said about 2 hours. If after 5 hours, I suggest to contact moderators right away. 

Mel3

IT NOW WORKS!!!!!! Don't know what I did but...it works!! Thank you so very much for all your help...I REALLY appreciate your time :cathappy:

Thanks again each and everyone of you and...stay safe!!

Melanie

iPhone won't ring for incoming calls is that the user has accidentally turned on the Do Not Disturb feature in Settings. Do Not Disturb silences calls, alerts, and notifications on your iPhone.

@Mel3  this article seems to indicate that a switch on the side of an iPhone 6 has to be in a certain position for the phone to ring. See if this helps you https://www.payetteforward.com/my-iphone-wont-ring-heres-the-real-reason-why/

Mel3

It is an iphone 6

Mel3

I tried to put the old card back (Virgin) but it says no service. I even tried to put this virgin card into my phone and no service. I think the old card does not work any longer.

What is the phone and model.

@Mel3 wrote:

No...cannot make or receive calls\text.

I just tested the card with my phone and it does work. I tested my card in his phone and it did work. The problem seems to be with the phone...not the card. When you guys say it may take a few hours for the port to be complete, is it usually the card that is delayed or the phone itself?

It is the card that is delayed.  
If the SIM card works in your phone, you are right...  it is a hardware setup issue.

Which model phone does he use?  Could it be incompatible with PM?

Try rebooting phone.  Network reset.  Toggle airplane mode on, then off (re-connects to network).  

Mel3

I made activated and port his # about 2 hrs ago (approx.)

@Mel3 the card, not the phone. Back up his contacts and factory reset the phone and start over. Let us know if this works. Thanks.

Mel3

No...cannot make or receive calls\text.

I just tested the card with my phone and it does work. I tested my card in his phone and it did work. The problem seems to be with the phone...not the card. When you guys say it may take a few hours for the port to be complete, is it usually the card that is delayed or the phone itself?

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

The porting process takes time. Can you put the old SIM card back in and see if it still works.

@Mel3 how long ago did you port your dad's number? It could take up to 3 hours for the port to complete. Is this only happening to your number? Could you check to see if your number has been inadvertently blocked on his phone? 

@Mel3 wrote:

Yes I did port his phone # from Virgin. On his cell, it does say Public Mobile in the top left side of the screen. Was I suppose to enter the cell phone serial # somewhere?

@Mel3 

You do not need to enter serial #/IME for port.  

Can you text him?  Is he able to receive texts?  Can he call out or text out?

Mel3

No, both are off

Mel3

Yes I did port his phone # from Virgin. On his cell, it does say Public Mobile in the top left side of the screen. Was I suppose to enter the cell phone serial # somewhere?

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Mel3 is do not disturb or airport mode enabled on the phone? Thanks.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

do other services work outgoing calls sms, incoming sms?  data?

did you port a number?  is it still in progress or possibly fail?  does the old sim still work?

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Mel3 

Did you port his number over?  Sometimes it takes some time for incoming calls or texts to be working  ie. the port to be completed.  It could be  stuck port.  It can take a couple of hours for mobile ports to be completed.  If a landline or VOIP, it can take several days for port to be completed.

You could try rebooting phone.  Network reset.  Also, can try the SIM card in another phone.  To help determine whether hardware issue versus PM service problem.  

Need Help? Let's chat.