cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom phone calls & data usage

fastkenny48
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My apologies, I am a total newbie to mobile phones. I just got a phone plan this month.

I only turn the phone on two days a month; the rest of the time it is totally shut off. My usage history shows there are 5 outgoing phone calls to the same number this month on various days when the phone was off.

There is also data usage showing on days when the phone was off.

I'm still within the amount of minutes & data usage of the plan, but I'd like to know what's going on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Sorry I (or everybody) missed this reply the other day.

The phone off for days on end should not be taking any data. The two days that the phone is on might take a small amount. But then after being off for after a day or two you should not see any usage.

fastkenny48
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for taking the time to reply; I see now voicemail is responsible for the outgoing calls. A public mobile agent told me how to deal with that, so we'll call that a solution.

Still not too sure about the data usage though.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

The kicker here is that your minutes might be getting used up by those calls that are dropping to voicemail. This should not be happening.

Someone calls your number. Default call forwarding will drop to voicemail. You don't answer, or the phone is off, or the phone is out of range - the call will forward to the voicemail system. This "call" is not supposed to take minutes. But we're seeing some customers (myself included) that are seeing this.

@fastkenny48 wrote:

My apologies, I am a total newbie to mobile phones. I just got a phone plan this month.

I only turn the phone on two days a month; the rest of the time it is totally shut off. My usage history shows there are 5 outgoing phone calls to the same number this month on various days when the phone was off.

There is also data usage showing on days when the phone was off.

I'm still within the amount of minutes & data usage of the plan, but I'd like to know what's going on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

The data usage details give no indication when the data was used. It's a summary of a patial day's usage.  As for outgoing calls while your phone is off, calls to a phone number ending in 4001 would be a symptom of someone calling you and the call be directed to voicemail.  These are not actually outgoing calls.

Need Help? Let's chat.