cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People using Fongo and a data plan only

BAL
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi, I have a data plan only, using Fongo (for VoIP) on my iPhone (iOS). It seems that I can't send a text message using data only. If I try to send a text message to someone, I receive a message from 611 (PM) saying that I don't have a text service in my plan. If somebody (non iOS) send me a message, I receive the message from Fongo this time, saying that I should sign-up for Fongo text service to receive or send text messages.

Is there a way to (bypass everyting and) use data only for text messaging?

Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6

Kayfun101
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Text now is the best used it wean I wanted to turn data off with my previous provider

choia
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Another voip option is Textnow which offers free texting (sending and receiving) and calling but you have to keep your texting active to keep your assigned number

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The phone I setup to use data only and Fongo uses Hangouts for messaging. But, as @Luddite mentioned, you need to pay Fongo a monthly fee for traditional texting capabilities.

You're welcome. With Fongo texting you can send a "Picture message" (actually an attachment) but not receive one.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

BAL
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thank you for the information. I did not realise that texting on Fongo was so cheap. In fact, they offer 6 months of unlimited texting for $10! Not bad! Thanks.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

iMessage can use data only, but you can only reach other Apple users.

Fongo requires a payment (about $2/mo) to send texts; incoming texts are free. There are other texting apps but none which will text to all cell phone numbers for free.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.