cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PUK Code

willisc92
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all,

I recently got a new phone and was attempting to setup my SIM lock settings.  I accidentaly locked the phone and require a PUK code to unlock my SIM.  

I've already messaged mods @Mary_M and @Shazia_K for help and sent in an e-mail request to have my PUK Code sent to me.  However, I really can't wait for 48 hours to get my service working again... so I've created this post in hopes for more visibility.  In my opinion this is something we should be able to obtain through self serve.  

Thanks for your help in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

willisc92

Got a working code from @Shazia_K.  Thanks so much!

@Korth wrote:

You could try 00001234 or 12341234, or digits from your Public Mobile phone number (or from your original phone number, if different).

I wouldn't recommend trying to push the guessing game, though.  You might exceed the maximum number of permitted attempts and activate further lockouts which blacklist or even brick your device.

The PUK isn't going to be any of those suggestions. While the default PIN is set to 1234 on Public Mobile sim cards, the PUK that is used when the incorrect PIN is entered too many times is unique and specific to each sim card.  There's no such thing as default PUK and the correct numbers in it will appear random.  It's pretty much impossible to guess it. 

Willisc92, you pretty much need to wait until Public Mobile provides you with the correct code, or you can replace your sim card with a new one.

willisc92

Don't think it'd be worth the 10 hour drive. Smiley LOL

lol I happen to have a couple spare PM SIM cards, if you're not too far away from Chilliwack BC.

Though I guess you'd still need one of the Mods to adjust your account, so you still wouldn't have your phone service working immediately.

willisc92

I'll just sit tight until I can get some support from a mod.  Not worth the chance of bricking the sim.

You could try 00001234 or 12341234, or digits from your Public Mobile phone number (or from your original phone number, if different).

I wouldn't recommend trying to push the guessing game, though.  You might exceed the maximum number of permitted attempts and activate further lockouts which blacklist or even brick your device.

willisc92

1234 doesn't work, as the PUK Code is 8 digits.  I think 1234 is the default PIN number though.  Unfortunately it'd probably take the same amount of time to wait for a new SIM compared to getting the PUK code, so I may as well wait.

The phones (both old and new) are fully unlocked and were working.  I just accidently locked the SIM while setting up security for my new phone, unfortunately.  I just need the PUK code associated with my public mobile SIM to get it working again.    

Thanks for your help @Korth.  

Korth
Mayor / Maire

Personal Unlock Key

SIM Lock

Apparently the Public Mobile default PUK Code is 1234.  Beware that even if you enter the correct PUK, your phone might irrevocably "brick" (impose a firmware lockout) after a total of (about) ten failed attempts to access the user PIN, and you've already made at least three failed attempts.

If that doesn't work, it might be faster to order a new Public Mobile SIM card.  In the meantime, you might be able to use a service like Fongo, Skype, or Facetime to make calls.

If the PUK is a legacy somehow imposed onto your phone by the original carrier, or if it's still a TELUS-locked or Koodo-locked phone, you might be able to find the PUK written on your old phone bills or original phone contract.

Many newer phones provide an app that allows users to enter their own PUK/SIM lock PINs.  And any rooted phone can run such an app.  Doesn't help you right now, of course, but you might find it useful for the future.

You might want to comment on this PUK should be available in [Self-Serve] Account idea in the Public Lab.

Need Help? Let's chat.