cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overages on Rogers and Bell is $70 per GB!!!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Wow, I thought PM's $30/GB add-on rates were expensive, but Rogers and Bell both recently increased their overages from 5c per MB ($50/GB) to 7c per MB ($70/GB).  My goodness, that is ridiculously expensive!! 

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/07/05/rogers-increases-data-overage-20-per-gig/

I guess the moral of the story is to always do your best to make sure your regular plan has as much data as you will realistically expect to need, at any carrier.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.
22 REPLIES 22

marsbar
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@guinness22 wrote:
In UK 15gb of data is 20 dollars .

You can't compare Canada with the UK due to the higher population density. Instead true comparable countries would be places like Australia and Russia. However, In Australia, they can get 5GB of data plans for $39.22/month and in Russia, you can 3GB of data plans for $9.62/month.

The average Canadian doesn't know how bad their cell phone plans are. For the most part, they don't do the research when debating cell-phone carriers (except I think Chatr, Public and Freedom customers probably do since those are some of the cheapest plans in Ontario). Some come in through corporate plans with the majors, but even those are relatively atrocious....my husband was paying about $110/month on average with Rogers due to data overages, before I switched him to Freedom and then through to Public. He uses data way less than me, I normally use min 2GB per month but his CBC corporate Rogers plan with about 1.5GB per month of usage ended up costing him more than $100 when my bills for more usage with Freedom used to be $65!

Regardless, our mainline telcos bilk us for whatever they can, treating Canadians as cash-cows. Sure some can afford it, but with the economic uncertainty and precariosuness of jobs these days, I think more and more people are now looking to cut costs wherever they can.

jpar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would love to see unlimited data some day...

Quest

@MoreYummy wrote:

They know people usually go over the limit easily.  Just 1mb over, you pay one more month of fee.   There are too many stories like this everyday.

@MoreYummy

For the people that have a big wallet I don't have a huge sympathy. There is a saying that: ..."the more you earn the more you spend"... Smiley LOL

Those that cannot afford such a mistakes should educate themselves in this matter. On this forum alone there are more than enogh users willing to help them.

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, oh Bell Canada... I have stories...

I live in Brantford, ON, the home of the telephone.  You'd think that Bell Canada would invest in technology in the birth place of the telephone, and the original location of the first long distance phone call to neighbouring town Paris.

I live in a fairly well developed area of the City, and I still can only receive 5 MB/sec ADSL speeds over copper.  They used to advertise FibeTV here, however only about 20% of the City (we're over 100,000 people)... My only choice is cable, and lucky for me, I've found a third party reseller for that service.

No internet is tranquility.  Slow internet is +_&&7&#@#

They know people usually go over the limit easily.  Just 1mb over, you pay one more month of fee.   There are too many stories like this everyday.

@Quest wrote:

@will13am wrote:

...It is all based on what the market will bear.  There are lots of people with more wallet than brains out there.  Bandwidth is cheap, overages are pure cash for shareholders...  

@will13am

You are absolutely right in this regard. Smiley Wink

Who on earth would pay for overages Smiley Surprised when it would be cheaper to get a plan with more data. lol Smiley LOL

People who want iPhones to go with their service plan will likely have very little data.

@will13am, oh Bell Canada... I have stories...

I live in Brantford, ON, the home of the telephone.  You'd think that Bell Canada would invest in technology in the birth place of the telephone, and the original location of the first long distance phone call to neighbouring town Paris.

I live in a fairly well developed area of the City, and I still can only receive 5 MB/sec ADSL speeds over copper.  They used to advertise FibeTV here, however only about 20% of the City (we're over 100,000 people)... My only choice is cable, and lucky for me, I've found a third party reseller for that service.

Quest

@will13am wrote:

...It is all based on what the market will bear.  There are lots of people with more wallet than brains out there.  Bandwidth is cheap, overages are pure cash for shareholders...  

@will13am

You are absolutely right in this regard. Smiley Wink

Who on earth would pay for overages Smiley Surprised when it would be cheaper to get a plan with more data. lol Smiley LOL

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

@Nsk143 wrote:
Wow 70 bucks per gb
And we complain about 30 dollars add-on for 1gb. 🙂
We are lucky that pm offers amazing plans with attractive prices.

PM's pricing is only amazing on a comparative basis. 

On what basis would you like it to be amazing? 🙂  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

*slow clap* CRTC Smiley Frustrated

@Nsk143 wrote:
Wow 70 bucks per gb

PM's pricing is only amazing on a comparative basis. 

@xCameron94x wrote:
This could be to make up for "lost revenue" when phones have to be unlocked starting December. Cant wait for the day when cell phone prices are actually reasonable here.

The conspiracy theory part of my brain thinks the same. 

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Recall the days when most home internet plans were metered

@will13am mine still is, though at 300GB available per month, it's more than I typically need, and I consider myself a fairly heavy user.  The unlimited tiers at most home internet providers are stil pretty ridiculously expensive, at least where I live anyway.

@will13am wrote:

When 5G arrives, wireless data will be as cheaper than borscht.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think wirless data will be cheap then?  I think if anything, it will be an excuse for the big 3 (or maybe big 4, including Sheedom) to jack their prices up even higher after their "big capital investments in 5G."

Pretty simple, if the likes of Videotron can offer unlimited music streaming, that says it all.  Is the cost of the gig used to stream music different from the gig that his used to view websites?  The infrastructure that runs our home services is paid for many times over as is the infrastructure that supports cellular.  I totally remember the times when Bell and Rogers used to argue that it costs them like a buck to bring a gig of data to the home.  Many observers were estimating the cost at fractions of a penny.  Well, my typical home usage is around 1.5-3 Tb per month.  I don't see Rogers hurting at all.  Bell is chomping at the bit to have me take my service over to them.  Why would they want me as a customer if I am going to bankrupt them? 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

My only real quibble with PM's current plans is the 12 GB versions which I think need to be priced just $36/90 days over the 6 GB ones. This would at least be competitive with the large data plans from other carriers.

If it's combined with the ability to renew when data is used PM's plans could be locked in for at least a year and remain the best deals around.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@Shutdown for that time we better start taking French classes from now XD

Shutdown

@srlawren it will be cheaper because the cell towers can handle a lot more traffic and it will likely be more power efficient, just as LTE was to 3g. The reason it will go down is because their competitors in provinces like quebec/sask will get 5g and likely offer much better plans. So in order to remain competitive they will make their plans cheaper, though it's a different story in provinces without competition.

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

Recall the days when most home internet plans were metered

@will13am mine still is, though at 300GB available per month, it's more than I typically need, and I consider myself a fairly heavy user.  The unlimited tiers at most home internet providers are stil pretty ridiculously expensive, at least where I live anyway.

@will13am wrote:

When 5G arrives, wireless data will be as cheaper than borscht.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think wirless data will be cheap then?  I think if anything, it will be an excuse for the big 3 (or maybe big 4, including Sheedom) to jack their prices up even higher after their "big capital investments in 5G."

This could be to make up for "lost revenue" when phones have to be unlocked starting December. Cant wait for the day when cell phone prices are actually reasonable here.

guinness22
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
In UK 15gb of data is 20 dollars .

Nsk143
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville
Wow 70 bucks per gb

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

I read this this morning and could not believe it, unbelievable. 

In an other way if Telus was to mess the market it is really the time for a promotion that targets everyone, but I hardly think the system can handle that number after it's current situation.

Also it is some good marketing for Freedom if they want to recover the lost people from PM's last promo.

What @will13am just mentionned reminds me of this I saw it the other day:

10 minutes later , already maxed plan's data10 minutes later , already maxed plan's data

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is all based on what the market will bear.  There are lots of people with more wallet than brains out there.  Bandwidth is cheap, overages are pure cash for shareholders.  These overage fees are intended for the carrier phone shopper wanting the latest iPhone with zero dollars up front, even if the plan includes 500 megs of data.  Makes me want to load up on Canadian telecom shares.  Look at the recent news about Videotron abandoning unlimited music streaming because they were forced to.  In return they are giving customers data equivalent to their peak streaming usage.  If data was really costly, Videotron would be going out of business doing this.  Recall the days when most home internet plans were metered and carriers were claiming that it costs like dollars per gig of bandwidth.  The same is happening with wireless data.  When 5G arrives, wireless data will be as cheaper than borscht.

Need Help? Let's chat.