cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our PM acct has been targeted, we can no longer login to it

morganplus8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Someone got ahold of our password or something like that, we can't login to our account any more.

27 REPLIES 27

@PM100Honestly perfect security is a myth, the best we can do is practice safe internet hygiene.. be alert and have backup plan.

PM100

Yes but just don't rely on 2fa apps either. Email 2fa apps have definite limitations too. In march this year a bunch of email accounts at msft were accessed through a backend vulnerabiliy having to do with imap auto sync. They didn't even need the passwords.
Individuals can only do so much to protect themselves without more options.

@PM100I think the carriers in the states eg TMobile has something called "Porting Validation" Which requires a pin..

The best thing to do in the mean time.. DONT USE PHONE AS A VALIDATION TOOL! so even if your sim get jacked.. the thieves can't do jack, literally. Oh also have secure passwords for your phone accounts.

But honestly most of these things are targetted.. SIM jacking starts the motion of liquidating your equities.. so one should notice strange things happening ahead of the event.

@GinYVR  you look familiar you remind me of somebody elseSmiley Tongue

PM100

To protect myself i would love to have the option to say do not reset my account even if i ask you to. If i lose the credentials i lose the account. People could protect themselves with this option. 

@geopublicIt is good to have hope and ideals.. but this case it involves convenience and ingrained human behavior.. I am not holding my breath and see easier windmills to tilt. Prevent resets creates a lot of unintended consequences I am sure Public Mobile would like to avoid.

Barack_Obama_Hope_poster

@GinYVR wrote:

@geopublicNot all of them do.. besides even if they do, you can tell them to use email (which can be protected by2FAA apps).. and turn off telephone as a verification method. In the end, it is up to the user to protect themselves, that's a line item in the freedom of choice.

GinYVRR  Most of the banks do. Email is not secure either including 2FAA the only thing close to being secure are hardware secure-id  devices/chips. Anyway that is not the issue here. My point is that PM should not be resetting accounts period. If you lose/forgot your PIN then tough luck!!

@geopublicNot all of them do.. besides even if they do, you can tell them to use email (which can be protected by 2FA apps).. and turn off telephone as a verification method. In the end, it is up to the user to protect themselves, that's a line item in the freedom of choice.

Vice has a story about SIM jacking if people want to know more. Be careful out there and practice proper internet hygiene.

@GinYVR wrote:

@geopublicWell this is a classic illustration why not to use phones as a identity verification device. Thankfully more companies are usually authenicating apps.

@GinYVR  What! Banks use it for online banking as a standard procedure.

@geopublicWell this is a classic illustration why not to use phones as a identity verification device. Thankfully more companies are usually authenicating apps.

Kinda makes one wonder with all the posts around here lately of new members that have just registered within minutes of posting:

"Lost my sim can't remember my email and security question how can I login into my account?"

I hope they are not getting access by having a mod resetting the password and changing the email on the account.

@MandyJ @morganplus8 I would suggest FILE A POLICE REPORT, tell them you have been SIM jacked and your identity stolen.. and contact your banks, cable companies and maybe put a credit note on your credit report.. or and figure out why your information got lost in the first place (computer or phone virus etc);

If you use the same password like your Public mobile account across the board, it will be wise to change them.

There are a pethora of things to do now while you wait for the moderators to respond.

@morganplus8at this stage, the lost number to chatr is the least of your problems. Your identity is on fire, do something about it ie safeguard what's left and worry about the how and why later. It is on fire!

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@morganplus8 wrote:

There's plenty to worry about, they are taking my phone number over to chatr and this is all I get when I try to login: ForgotPassword/LoginUnsuccessfulUser_LoginDisabled

That's a scary scenario, especially with the moderator times being what they are. I wonder if tagging a moderator in this post might be able to bring it to someone's attention a little faster? This could have lots of negative impacts depending on what they are planning to do with it. I'd also keep an eye on your banking and financial records to make sure you aren't getting any fraudulent charges because of this.

@morganplus8The wait time for a moderator could be up to 48 hours.. since it is first come first service.. the more people pile on the slower it is for everyone.

@morganplus8 wrote:

This is what I get now>

ForgotPassword/LoginUnsuccessfulUser_LoginDisabled

@morganplus8  That usually happens when the account is closed. Hopefully someone from the @CS_Agent can look into this asap. You should login into your bank accounts and change your phone number as a precaution. 

morganplus8

My acct has been locked out for 5 hours now and I got a text from Chatr that they are transferring the phone number. No humans around here?

@morganplus8At this stage, because the party are able to impersonate you.. (see my other reply to you in another thread), there is nothing the mods can do. I don't think the mods sleep much. Your password got compromised, not really the fault of the moderators, just like you don't complain to that the postman didn't do their job because you lost your mailbox key.

I suggest you contact the police, if your account wasn't lapsed in the first place. Tell them your identity has been stolen via SIM Jacking (this is what it is called and open a file).. oh also change tell your services eg banks that you got hit.

morganplus8

There's plenty to worry about, they are taking my phone number over to chatr and this is all I get when I try to login: ForgotPassword/LoginUnsuccessfulUser_LoginDisabled

morganplus8

So how can I prevent my phone number from going to chatr while our mods sleep?

morganplus8

This is what I get now>

ForgotPassword/LoginUnsuccessfulUser_LoginDisabled

@morganplus8The wait time for a moderator could be up to 48+ hours. They will probably ask you for SIM card number and a bunch of verification questions..

morganplus8

I haven't been able to login yet, I get a use acct. warning like it is closed. They are sending my phone number to chatr as chatr sent us a text to that effect. No Mods for miles, I have been trying to stop this for hours.

morganplus8

It is an active acct, they got into it and are transfering my phone number to chatr and I can't stop them.

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Not to worry , wait for an hour. Try and login one more time but this time click on forgot password. Reset it and go from there. Should work with no worries. If that fails login to your community and connect with the Moderators and explain your situation to them and ask then to reset your online account. 

MandyJ
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@morganplus8 wrote:

Someone got ahold of our password or something like that, we can't login to our account any more.

Is the account you are trying to log into an active account or are you trying to revive an old account? I think after 90 days of non-payment accounts becomes inaccessable.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@morganplus8 wrote:

@morganplus8If that is the case you need to contact PM. To contact Public Mobile click here. The link sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderator Hours: Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am (Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm (Eastern).

@morganplus8 wrote:

Did you try to forgot password link? 

https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca/forgot-password/

It's also possible that you can't log in because someone really was trying to get into your account but didn't.  If someone tries multiple times, you will get locked out for roughly 1 hour.

Need Help? Let's chat.