cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnePlus 5 Release

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Ok who will be getting this phone.  I am not an Android user but this phone is getting my interest.  Anyone going to watch the release if they do can you post some updates can't get it at work.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

71 REPLIES 71

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@srlawren wrote:

@canucks4life if your OP5 has an LCD, you have bigger issues!  😉  (It's an OLED panel, rather than LCD)

Yes it does have a notification LED and yes it's pretty dim.  No way to brighten it that I'm aware of, sadly.

Yeah I'm using an app called Light Manager for customization but OP engineers definitely came up short or dim shall I say on this one...I could see my previous Galaxy S6 LED notification from across the room lol

Sure I'll get used to it eventually small price to pay.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@canucks4life if your OP5 has an LCD, you have bigger issues!  😉  (It's an OLED panel, rather than LCD)

Yes it does have a notification LED and yes it's pretty dim.  No way to brighten it that I'm aware of, sadly.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@canucks4life thanks for that feedback!  Yes a case would definitely be a necessity!  I don't know if they have any available yet for OP5 or not, but I got a [pair of] case[s] for my OP3 at a little store in Metrotown mall, I think it's called xskins or something like that.  It's right outside the Sportchek.  It's a TPU case, very basic with a slightly frosted back side.  They are buy 1 get one free so I picked up a smoked one and a clear one as backup, and ended up gifting the clear one to a colleague for his OP3T.  I think it was about $18 for the pair.  They seem to be very protective, have a slight lip around the screen for protection, at least even out the camera hump if not extend ever so slightly past it..  Might be worth a look.  I don't think they had the OP3 cases when it first came out though, I got this one a bit later.

Yeah that full day battery is the main reason I'm thinking about it.  Even brand new, the gsmarena "endurance rating" is about 25% higher on the OP5 vs. the OP3, and a year in, my battery life is definitely starting to decline a little.  And I'm a fairly heavy user most days.  Also I like that the OP5 is slightly narrower and easier to palm, since I have relatively small hands.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

canucks4life

@srlawren wrote:

@canucks4life nice find!  that one is pretty clearly software, so hopefully can be easily resolved.  The jelly scrolling issue sounds more likely to be hardware, which is disconcerting. 

I'm actually really tempted to pick up an OP5 to replace my now > 1 yr old OP3.  How are you guys liking it so far?  How's the battery life?  Can you make it through a full day (say, approx 8am to approx 11pm or 12am) of medium to heavy use without needing to top up?  The lack of OIS on the cameras is the other thing that makes me hesitant, as it sounds like it can lead to some poor low light shots, worse than OP3/OP3T which feature OIS.  Maybe.

Overall I'm satisfied but really not sure if it is worth coughing up the extra $$$ upgrading from a 3/3T this is my first OnePlus device.

Hopefully once they get the bugs sorted out will improve the user experience...another issue I'm having is right now you can't mute Alarms in the Alert slider settings for Silent/DnD mode they will always ring which seems pointless.

Battery is great compared to my previous phone Galaxy S6 should have no issues getting through a full day even with heavy use.

I really don't have much to say about the camera yet still waiting for my case and terrified to use it in case she slips out of my hands of course being my first OP unable to compare quality with previous models.

srlawren

@canucks4life nice find!  that one is pretty clearly software, so hopefully can be easily resolved.  The jelly scrolling issue sounds more likely to be hardware, which is disconcerting. 

I'm actually really tempted to pick up an OP5 to replace my now > 1 yr old OP3.  How are you guys liking it so far?  How's the battery life?  Can you make it through a full day (say, approx 8am to approx 11pm or 12am) of medium to heavy use without needing to top up?  The lack of OIS on the cameras is the other thing that makes me hesitant, as it sounds like it can lead to some poor low light shots, worse than OP3/OP3T which feature OIS.  Maybe.

canucks4life

BTW if you guys are on the OP forums please checkout my below bug post and test if you can will take 2min.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/incoming-calls-are-not-audible-initial-boot-lock-screen.560522/#p...

canucks4life

@Noosiekins wrote:

@zhadj030 wrote:

It seems like the OP 5 is making a bit of an rukus, just the wrong way. 

http://bgr.com/2017/07/07/oneplus-5-scrolling-issue-baffling-explanation/

XD

It is still  a great phone. I am wondering wether they are like Samsung regarding Android updates (they take forever to release an update)

They pretty much had to especially during 15 day return period...I imagine after 4.5.5 it could be awhile...one good thing we're guinea pigs along with Germany and get updates pushed first Cat Very Happy

Noosiekins
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@zhadj030 wrote:

It seems like the OP 5 is making a bit of an rukus, just the wrong way. 

XD

It is still  a great phone. I am wondering wether they are like Samsung regarding Android updates (they take forever to release an update)

I haven't noticed any "jelly" effect on my phone. Not even sure what they are talking about LOL. I'm actually surprised that they've already pushed 3-4 OS update since unboxing the phone.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire

It seems like the OP 5 is making a bit of a rukus, just the wrong way. 

XD

It is still  a great phone. I am wondering whether they are like Samsung regarding Android updates (they take forever to release an update)

Noosiekins
I have seen both 4G+ as well as the LTE pop up beside the network bars (Richmond/Burnaby)

canucks4life

@srlawren wrote:

@canucks4life impressive!!!  Do you know which band you were on at the time?  Also, what rough area of the GVA?  (I'm assuming your in Vancouver, based on your name 😉 )

I was at home in New Westminster...not sure how to tell which frequency band it is connecting on here...if I turn off WiFi in status bar shows 4G+=LTE advanced.

srlawren

@canucks4life impressive!!!  Do you know which band you were on at the time?  Also, what rough area of the GVA?  (I'm assuming your in Vancouver, based on your name 😉 )

canucks4life

LTE advanced FTWLTE advanced FTW

canucks4life

@srlawren wrote:

Congrats, @canucks4life!  I'm officially jealous, stuck with my OP3.  😞  If the OP5 is half as slippery, you definitely need a case.  And from what I've heard, it may be even slippery-er.

As for "how goes it so far on PM?", there really shouldn't be much, if anything, to disucss.  It should just work.  There isn't even any guess work as to the model anymore, since it's a world phone, single sku (well, one each for the slate gray 6gb/64 and the midnight black 8gb/128).  Speaking of which, which configuration did you get?  

I really only needed 6/64 model but of course OP marketing knows midnight black is where its at so sprung the extra cash for 8/128.

Was really starting to have second thoughts with all the bugs reported on the OP forums but after updating OS 4.5.3 right out of the box and doing a wipe cache device is pretty stable just using on WiFi right now will test things out for a week or so before making the switch.

I guess the big issue right now is the "jello" stretching effect on the display when scrolling upwards on large pages...apparently there is talk LCD panel may of been installed upside down during manufacturing process? Anyways no worries here either my device doesn't have the issue or my eyes suck so bad I can't tell Cat LOL

One thing that kind of erked me is OP customer service offered a whole $5 off accessories for logistics issues during pre-sales which is pretty much useless since it won't even cover shipping...anyways I purchased my accessories 3rd party.

Oh I was wondering does your OP3 have an LED notification and if so is there anyway to make it brighter?

Noosiekins

@canucks4life wrote:

Any more updates from our OP5 peeps how goes it so far on PM?

Finally got mine yesterday but it is too slim/slippery for me to use without a case...luckily it shipped today.

I'm loving the speed on the phone. Every swipe, every opening and closing of an app is very snappy. 11 hours after unplugging the phone I still have 65% battery left. Love that I can schedule when it can go into night mode too!

Noosiekins

@srlawren wrote:

Congrats, @canucks4life!  I'm officially jealous, stuck with my OP3.  😞  If the OP5 is half as slippery, you definitely need a case.  And from what I've heard, it may be even slippery-er.

It's slippery! I went from a Note 3 (with a texturized backside) to the OP5... I have dropped it on my face once or twice using it in bed... When I'm out, I am 2 handing it all the time since I'm still waiting for a case to arrive. 

canucks4life

@srlawren wrote:

As for "how goes it so far on PM?", there really shouldn't be much, if anything, to disucss.  It should just work.  There isn't even any guess work as to the model anymore, since it's a world phone, single sku (well, one each for the slate gray 6gb/64 and the midnight black 8gb/128).  Speaking of which, which configuration did you get?  

I got the loaded Cadillac 8/128...was starting to freak out with all the bug reports mentioned on oneplus.net forums...updated OS 4.5.3 immediately out of the box and performed a wipe cache after reboot so far so good will play around for another week before making the switch.

Apparently the big issue right now is supposedly during manufacturing the LCD panel may of been seated upside down which is causing a "jello" stretching effect when scrolling upwards. I've tried to reproduce the effect on my device but either it is not affected or my eyes suck so bad to notice lol

Was a bit of a slap in the face OP customer service offered a $5 coupon code off accessories for the logistical issues during pre-orders which is not even enough to cover shipping but I've purchased mine 3rd party anyways.

srlawren

canucks4life

Any more updates from our OP5 peeps how goes it so far on PM?

Finally got mine yesterday but it is too slim/slippery for me to use without a case...luckily it shipped today.

aday
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I just did a test with the speed test.net app and got

75.72 Mbps down
6.62 Mbps up

canucks4life

Would someone whom is lucky enough to posses a OP5 please post a couple 4G LTE speed tests (if you can spare the data of course) Smiley Happy

Noosiekins

@canucks4life wrote:

No OP5 joy for me until Tuesday...I'm going to be paranoid using it without a case hopefully 3rd party will ship by then refuse to pay $13 for OP shipping.

You mean the $13 shipping + another 20+ for a case/screen protector.

I am being super careful with the phone and using the out of the box screen protector right now. Good thing it's a clear one with no prints on it 🙂

Noosiekins

@srlawren wrote:

@Noosiekins I used TeslaUnread for ages, but recently have been trying dynamic badges instead.  They're kinda cool!

http://www.androidauthority.com/nova-launcher-beta-update-adds-dynamic-notification-badges-759295/

OHhhh that is different! I do like the numbers though 🙂 old habit dies hard!

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@srlawren wrote:

if I can make a recommendation:  grab Nova Launcher from the Play Store, then purchase the Nova Prime upgrade.  Nova gives you multiple badge options including Android O style, unread count (via TeslaUnread plugin), or just a dot I think.  Not only that, but Nova gives you a BOATLOAD of customization options. It's well worth the few bucks, and the license will follow you to any new devices.  I've been using it for a few years now, gotten my money's worth and more.  

Nova Prime is Sweet! I've had it for a couple years, regular updates keeps me happy, like features in newer andriod OS versions when my phone doesnt update anymore ... 
Nov2017 I plan for a One+5 ... maybe get lucky with a black friday sale.

occationaly prime goes on sale for $1, 2 or 3 times a year. but worth the $5 fee without question

canucks4life

No OP5 joy for me until Tuesday...I'm going to be paranoid using it without a case hopefully 3rd party will ship by then refuse to pay $13 for OP shipping.

srlawren

@Noosiekins I used TeslaUnread for ages, but recently have been trying dynamic badges instead.  They're kinda cool!

http://www.androidauthority.com/nova-launcher-beta-update-adds-dynamic-notification-badges-759295/

Noosiekins

@srlawren wrote:

@Noosiekins if I can make a recommendation:  grab Nova Launcher from the Play Store, then purchase the Nova Prime upgrade.  Nova gives you multiple badge options including Android O style, unread count (via TeslaUnread plugin), or just a dot I think.  Not only that, but Nova gives you a BOATLOAD of customization options. It's well worth the few bucks, and the license will follow you to any new devices.  I've been using it for a few years now, gotten my money's worth and more.  

Thanks for the info! I've heard good things about Nova from my brother. I'll have to look into it 🙂

srlawren

@Noosiekins if I can make a recommendation:  grab Nova Launcher from the Play Store, then purchase the Nova Prime upgrade.  Nova gives you multiple badge options including Android O style, unread count (via TeslaUnread plugin), or just a dot I think.  Not only that, but Nova gives you a BOATLOAD of customization options. It's well worth the few bucks, and the license will follow you to any new devices.  I've been using it for a few years now, gotten my money's worth and more.  

Noosiekins

@aday wrote:

i have my phone in my hands and it is a slippery little thing but very nice, just some UI stuff i liked with my CM11 I wish i could have back

Mine came yesterday too and I agree about it being slippery. It'll take a while for me to get used to Oxygen coming from a Samsung. I do hate that there are no badge notifications... but I hear it's a 'stock Android' thing 

aday
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

i have my phone in my hands and it is a slippery little thing but very nice, just some UI stuff i liked with my CM11 I wish i could have back

Need Help? Let's chat.