cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving SMS validation

PeterJT
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Just joined PM and ported my number from Bell. I'm finding that validation codes from sites such as Amazon and Twitter are not being received. Is this just a question of time being needed for the ported number to be fully propogated?

11 REPLIES 11

PeterJT

All I can think is that I did open a Twitter support post mentioning Public Mobile.

Good news @PeterJT. Any idea what cured the problem?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

PeterJT

Interesting. Received an SMS today from Twitter; sent from a different number 99399 🙂 Finally got it all resolved.

These online services are being blocked by the carrier (PM/Telus)?

I can understand them blocking P2P traffic.  Though, to be honest, they'd make tons of money selling mobile data increases to P2P users.  But why block anything else (unless, of course, it's illegal in Canada)?

These things aren't being blocked by the phone software, operating system, Apple, Google, or Microsoft?  These entities all have something to gain by blocking their competitors and forcing (well, "strongly recommending") their own counterparts ... at least by default, since it would actually be illegal anti-trust stuff to completely deny market entry.

@mimmowrote:

@Luddite are you reccomending using fongo?

I do. Call quality is a bit off sometimes. Oddly it's worse the closer the caller. Mississauga to Guelph is almost wlkie talkie; England to Guelph clear as a Bell. Price is right for sure.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite are you reccomending using fongo?

@PeterJT You are not alone with this issue. Noone has reported a resolution.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Unable-to-receive-short-code-SMS-verifica...

PeterJT

So in doing research here it would appear that the issue is PM blocking SMS from Twitter. 

Still no idea as to why Amazon does not work.

PeterJT

Google TFA is fine too

PeterJT

The strange thing is that other SMS messages DO arrive; just not those from web sites using them for TFA.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

How long ago was it. Does your old sim still work did you get a port complete sms?

If more than 4 hours you might have a stuck port. If so follow notes below. 

Welcome to pm

How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?

In your message please include:

• PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

If you have a Porting issue, please also include:

• The number you want to port, PM sim number, old account number, old account name exacly as on bill

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

• Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

• Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Totonto Time] from 9am to 7:30pm [Totonto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.

Additional Useful Information:

• Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

Need Help? Let's chat.