cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No notification about reaching data

JeffH
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello I am currently frustrated! I have not received a notification about me reaching any limits on my data and now I have none. 
I am currently working in BC and data is essential. Not sure if this is a glitch in the motifs room system, but I do not want to have to pay more $$ because the system was flawed. Help please

TIA

31 REPLIES 31

messenabout
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@gpixel Horrible in what way? I don't know that I've actually noticed but I'm the only when using it. I've noticed it's a lot slower since I haven't had Wi-Fi in a month only the phone data plan. My modem arrived today. Yeah. Just getting ready to hook it up. 

I've also got an OTA antenna en route as we speak. London Drugs had this incredible sale on. They were offering OTAs for $9.99, regular $69.99. Add 10 bucks for delivery, with taxes all under $22! (mine even includes a wireless doorbell!)

Nevertheless I'm excited to begin this new adventure after cutting the cord.

@messenabout- You select a plan on offer. Some time after, the provider removes the plan to stop others from selecting it. The customer keeping the plan now has a grandfathered plan.

The provider might change the rate, but generally not the plan.

This did not happen with the old $10 plan. It was completely changed to a new plan with a higher rate. Customers that renewed after late April were forcibly changed to the new plan and new rate. In many cases unknowingly and a surprise suspension.

All executed unlawfully.

@messenabout grandfathered plan is a plan that is no longer offered. 

And, once you change away from that plan you cannot get it back.

messenabout
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@esjliv 

Could someone explain to me exactly what grandfathered plan means please?

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Sigh this is somewhat true.. It does the basics but really lacks for some other things that had absolutely no issue with 4g..but oh well part of the give and take of PM

@JeffH 

if you have the $120/12gb i wouldn't switch. the 3g is horrible... 

Correct. A whole new 90 days starts. Have you compared your data needs to current plans? If you have full 4G data are you that stuck on it?

@JeffH wrote:

Ok so renewing early gives me a new autopay date and I won’t get billed again on the 21st when it’s supposed to autopay??

@JeffH - correct, if you renewed your plan today, then 90 days from now would be your next autopay renewal. Your plan is good for 90 days, so you will not be billed on the 21st again.

I don't like suggesting to anyone to change their plan from a grandfathered one (like you are in now), but just want to make sure you know you have that option to do so. Of course, you would be getting 3g speeds on any in-market plans.

Rewards stay with your plan (fyi, stay in the old rewards, if you are still in that program that's good).

In market plans available:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/plans#plans-start

JeffH

Ok so renewing early gives me a new autopay date and I won’t get billed again on the 21st when it’s supposed to autopay??

Oops. New fact. You can renew that plan early as well.

@JeffH wrote:

Yes I understand that and the reason it was used up as I just found out is that my phone had the data roaming on.lots of dead spots and such in a 2134km drive. I do not and have never used this feature for this specific reason. That being said, i am not trying to be difficult, but seeing as your notification system is supposed to be designed to alert us users when are are approaching certain data limits and it failed this is where my issue lies…cause had it done so I would have checked everything on my phone and would have found the issue before it became THIS issue.

It is what it is with this no frills brand. Have you wondered why one of the text after a renewal arrives at 12:00 AM EST? It's been reported multiple times over the past year and still no fix.

JeffH

So my 90 day auto pay goes to a 30 day if I renew early?

Yes new 30 day term. No pro-rating here.

JeffH

Does renewing early give me a new autopay renewal date or keep the current one??

JeffH

So if I renew my plan early does it give me a different date for the next autopay?

JeffH

Yes I understand that and the reason it was used up as I just found out is that my phone had the data roaming on.lots of dead spots and such in a 2134km drive. I do not and have never used this feature for this specific reason. That being said, i am not trying to be difficult, but seeing as your notification system is supposed to be designed to alert us users when are are approaching certain data limits and it failed this is where my issue lies…cause had it done so I would have checked everything on my phone and would have found the issue before it became THIS issue.

@JeffH Renew your plan early (no refund) or sit tight without any data until your renewal date comes. 

@JeffH wrote:

So what are other options? I just can’t afford to add $$$ willy nilly it’s set up on autopay for a purpose. 

@JeffH  - they are listed in this thread, but is this helpful listed like this:

1-buy an 1GB data addon for $15 (already suggested by @NDesai )

2-have CSA renew your plan early (already suggested by NDesai )

3-Change your plan NOW to a different plan

It is too bad you ran out, but that can happen if things are set up certain ways, or wifi if left off, or other...

Install an app to track your ‘live’ usage so you can keep track. Public Mobile are 30 day plans (not monthly).

If you are android, try this one:

Data Witness app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.iwik.datawitnesspm&hl=en_CA&gl=US

I use this one myself and it gives me what I need from it.

You could also check out Data counter widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roysolberg.android.datacounter&hl=en_CA&gl=US

If you are an Apple user, I am sure there is a 30-day app that is available as well.

Managing Your Data Usage:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

JeffH

So what are other options? I just can’t afford to add $$$ willy nilly it’s set up on autopay for a purpose. 

@JeffH Not getting notification alone can't be blame you ran out data so quick. You used up your limit in less than 10 days. You should have a rough idea how much you are using and there are other ways out there to track data usage as we mentioned above. Best option for you is to buy the 1GB add-on and hang onto it until your renewal date. 

JeffH

And I did not block Public Notifications

JeffH

My plan renews on the 21 of this month

@JeffH  - well, at least you know why data is no longer working. It is odd you didn't receive a notification about it. Did you by chance block any Public Mobile communications on a device level?

When if your plan due to renew? See @NDesai advice about your options. In addition, to their advice you could also choose to Change your plan now (up or down grade, perhaps up, if you ran out this cycle). May be worth it if you are close to renewal time.

You will need to add funds, than go to the Change Plan option.

Note, there is no prorating funds already paid in this cycle though.

JeffH

No such settings have been set up in my phone and as of up to now I haven’t had an issue with the notification system….just super frustrated and seeing as my autopay date is three weeks away I just don’t want to have to put more $$$ into it just to get me through since as I have stated before I have never had an issue up til now

JeffH

Seeing as I was just able to check I do not have a data line showing…but as I have said the notifications have been stellar up to this point so I do not know what was the issue…I do not want to have to put more $$$ to get me through to my autopay date 

JeffH

No data limiting settings on my phone.

JeffH

It’s difficult for me to check when I couldn’t access the self serve. The notifications are useful to me especially when I am driving and required to answer emails and such on the go. I did check once I got wifi at my location, but that didn’t help me in a 12 hr drive

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@JeffH Well your phone is also capable to warn you when you pass certain limit of data. You can also check your self-serve account to see real time data usage. It's hard to blame the warning system through sms as its know to fail. 

So you now have two choices, renew your plan early or buy a data add-on. 

@JeffH wrote:

Hello I am currently frustrated! I have not received a notification about me reaching any limits on my data and now I have none. 
I am currently working in BC and data is essential. Not sure if this is a glitch in the motifs room system, but I do not want to have to pay more $$ because the system was flawed. Help please

TIA

You should have received a text message when 75% of your data was used. Howver, even if you did get that text message, it can often come too late to be able to do anything about it. Data can be used very quickly. Although on-device data counters will be using monthly cycles which PUblic Mobile doesn't do, setting up a limit might help because your device will allow you to stop using data after reaching a certain amount. You'll need to manually set an appropriate timeframe in your device's setttings. Come to think of it, are you certain that Public Mobile has stopped your data services or has your device cut you off as a precaution?   If you log into your Self Serve account, that will state how much data is remaining.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Did you check your account under my data & add-ons? Does your phone have data limiting settings?

Need Help? Let's chat.