cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New phone number we chose is still being used by last person who owned it for imessage!

gplic
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

New phone number I chose was used by another person before. We can send and get texts from most people. But if we text friends with an iphone/apple, their response is going to the last person's imessage account! We contacted this person and they don't know how to fix it.

I can't fix it.

What do we do?

By the way, this phone belongs to a tween so as the parent, I'm pretty upset about this security breach. It is serious.

24 REPLIES 24

@Jb456 thanks for all the help.  🌹 😊

Here is how to de-register a number. https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203042

But not sure if it must be the original owner of the number??

Can you text the original owner? And ask them to do so. 

Or call Apple. 

@RosieR  You don't have to answer all 4 questions one at a time.

Only one question total...

But if you also forgot to enter your email I guess that was wrong as well 😆

Happy you got it sorted out. Remember to change your community forums email to match your self serve email that will be changed by the mods when they get to your ticket for rewards purposes.

You can change your community forums email by clicking your badge top right then my settings.

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  Human error 🙂

If you read closely it says answer " One Question" not all of them.

I had no issues getting past that section. Next page is verify your account bySMS code,  by your account or can't verify.

Try again and only answer ONE question

@Jb456 I did answer one at a time, but the NEXT stayed grey.  Ehem... yeah very humbly admit "human error" ... forgot to type in new email addy.  After completing the steps, I was able to submit my ticket.  I just hate it when I'm wrong.  😠 🤣

@RosieR  Human error 🙂

If you read closely it says answer " One Question" not all of them.

I had no issues getting past that section. Next page is verify your account bySMS code,  by your account or can't verify.

Try again and only answer ONE question

@JoyLuck  @Jb456 

I tried changing my self-serve email address which I wanted to do in the first place, but got stuck here.

How to Submit a Ticket - Change self-serve email address.png

I answered all the questions, one by one of course, won't let me to NEXT.  So must be just me.  That's sad ☹️

@Jb456 wrote:

@RosieR  at what step is it not working for you?

I have no problems submitting a ticket.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20201021_205443_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205454_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205509_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205522_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205551_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205606_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205613_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205625_com.android.chrome.jpg

Use spoiler lol

@RosieR  at what step is it not working for you?

I have no problems submitting a ticket.

Screenshot_20201021_205443_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205454_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205509_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205522_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205551_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205606_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205613_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20201021_205625_com.android.chrome.jpg

@RosieR wrote:

@JoyLuck  @computergeek541  @Jb456 and everyone else who might be interest.

Yes yes yes if you click the bubble you will see SIMon and SIMon can still help but 

Ticketing via our chatbot is still not working.

Goodness gracious, everyone wants to prove me wrong.  I am very seldom wrong!!!

jk LOL 🤣

Maybe it is software (browser) specific. I can make it all the way to the submission page.

196C77F5-6F9F-4D50-99EE-2EA576EC2C6A.png

@JoyLuck  @computergeek541  @Jb456 and everyone else who might be interested.

Yes yes yes if you click the bubble you will see SIMon and SIMon can still help but 

Ticketing via our chatbot is still not working.

Goodness gracious, everyone wants to prove me wrong.  I am very seldom wrong!!!

jk LOL 🤣

Works on cell phone to. I'm on Chrome

Screenshot_20201021_204248.jpg

@RosieR wrote:

@JoyLuck the question mark in the bubble is gone, which I think means Submitting a Ticket through SIMon is still not working.  I gave it a try just a few minutes ago, it doesn't work.  Give it a try, perhaps it was just me lol

I do think that the question mark is only cosmetic, but have a try and type in "rep" to see the nonsense that now comes up. LOL.

@RosieR 

I am on an iPad. I got a blank page at first, but after a few seconds it did load for me.

77ED82E3-A820-4FCD-ABF4-AA72CDE44427.png

@JoyLuck the question mark in the bubble is gone, which I think means Submitting a Ticket through SIMon is still not working.  I gave it a try just a few minutes ago, it doesn't work.  Give it a try, perhaps it was just me lol

@Jb456 wrote:

@JoyLuck  they don't need to contact moderators

As you know, the moderators wouldn't be do anything about this even if they were contacted.  

@gplic wrote:

New phone number I chose was used by another person before. We can send and get texts from most people. But if we text friends with an iphone/apple, their response is going to the last person's imessage account! We contacted this person and they don't know how to fix it.

I can't fix it.

What do we do?

By the way, this phone belongs to a tween so as the parent, I'm pretty upset about this security breach. It is serious.

This isn't a Public Mobile issue or security breach, but rather one with Apple.  Rather than trying to get Apple or the person who used the phone number before to remove it from that iMessage account, I think that the easiest and simplest solution would be to change your phone number. That can be done from selfserve.publicmobile.ca

@Helpershelper  what you posted will not help the OP.

They need to go to this link below and deregister iMessage from the phone number.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

Then once it's deregister it off the old persons iMessage / apple account. Then if they have and use iMessage they can re register iMessage to their apple account.

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@gplic 

I can understand your frustration with this. It’s quite common as iMessage is linked to an AppleID email.

Go to settings > messages > send & receive >  From here you can choose to have iMessage’s be linked to an AppleID. Then you can change your Apple password which will sign out all other devices until you enter the new password.

@RosieR 

The announcement says issue resolved.

ISSUE RESOLVED] Website Outage

UPDATE: Issue has been resolved! Thank you so much for your patience. 

Hi @JoyLuck seems you haven't read the announcement that Ticketing via our chatbot is temporarily not working 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/ISSUE-RESOLVED-Website-Outage/m-p/60720...

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@JoyLuck  they don't need to contact moderators

@esjliv  the information you have provided is incorrect for the OPs issue.

@gplic you will have to deregister iMessage from that person. This is not something to do with Public Mobile. The person that had number before with iMessage never removed it from their account so you are going to have to do it.

See this link below and follow second option." Enter the phone number you want to deregister from iMessage and we'll send you a confirmation code.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage/

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @gplic ,

Try this:

To confirm and unlock sync to iTunes:

1. Insert new working SIM - do not turn phone on (if SIM is already in, turn off)

2. Connect to computer with USB cable

3. Start iTunes if it doesn't auto run

4. iPhone will switch on. Wait until iTunes registers it and checks for updates

5. Install the carrier profile update (if offered)

6. Disconnect and reboot

Check out:

https://appletoolbox.com/imessage-displays-the-wrong-phone-number-fix/

If this fails, reset your network settings and restart your phone if it doesn't automatically do so. 

1. Open the Settings menu.
  2. Open the General menu.
  3. Select the Reset option.
  4. Select the Reset Network Settings option.
  5. Enter the passcode for your iPhone (if you have one set.)
  6. Touch the Reset Network Settings button again to confirm that you wish to do this.
Need Help? Let's chat.