cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone Number

egeorgopoulos
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I tried to change my phone number on Self-Serve by choosing a new number, it said it was successful and the number has changed on my account, but when I put the SIM in my phone none of my calls will go through. Why is this happening? Is there a delay after you change your phone number to when it works for calling?

19 REPLIES 19

@JackQuint, there certainly is a way to update the sim, if it's replaced, you access Self-Serve and make the change in there.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@stonechucker wrote:

@JackQuint wrote:

Try a network reset:

For Android: Settings->System(Advanced)->Reset Options->Reset Wi-Fi,mobile, & Bluetooth

For iOS: Settings->General->Reset->Reset Network Settings

You will lose saved WiFi networks and BT devices. Solves many connectivity problems. 

No need to do a network reset for a phone number change.

If the issue is on the network side, you're correct. If, however, the issue is that the phone isn't detecting the change properly, there is no way to update the SIM on PM like there is on other carriers (eg. text "SIM" to 40001) and a network reset is the only tool. I probably should have suggested the OP first look in own phone settings to see what number it's showing before doing a network reset. 

BookishSphinx

Similar thing happened to me. Phone worked great on original number, then stopped working when I tried porting over my TELUS number. I had to privafe message the moderator, who took about 36 hours to respond, then there was some back and forth messages to verify my account. Make sure you include both phone numbers, PUblic mobile account number, your name and PIN  in the original message to speed up the process. In my case, the mod said the number ported over ok, but there was something wrong with the system on their end that was preventing the system from recognizing the SIM and it had to be escalated to Engineering. I’m still waiting for a resolution. 

Good luck to you. 

@egeorgopoulos wrote:

@hycm53 Unfortunately the 825 number is not working now either. So I have a SIM that no number works with. 

@egeorgopoulos  Maybe the system is very slow to update keep powercycling your phone every hour and hopefully the moderator will respond soon.

@egeorgopoulos wrote:

@hycm53 Unfortunately the 825 number is not working now either. So I have a SIM that no number works with. 

Did you try @stonechucker suggesting?

Try the lost/stolen trick

To report your phone stolen. Login to your account. Choose Plans and Add-on tab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab. Then choose Suspend Service tab. Logout. Wait few minutes. Login in and report your phone found. Restart your phone.

egeorgopoulos

@egeorgopoulos wrote:

@stonechucker I did not get a new SIM after the original Public Mobile one I bought. Basically when I decided to use Public Mobile, I went and bought a SIM card, set up my account online, and chose one of the 825 numbers (as they were the only option). I then went into Self Serve and selected the Change My Number, and changed it to a 587 number. Now I cannot make or receive calls on the new 587 number it has given me. 

How long did you stay on the 825 numbers? I read someone wrote that can't change the numbers in less 30 days.

Did you try call the 825 numbers? Are the 825 numbers still working? 

@egeorgopoulos, not sure if it was suggested previously in this thread - Try in MyAccount --> Plans and Add-ons tab, the LOST option.  

Mark the phone as lost, sign-out, wait 5 minutes, sign back in, and reactivate your plan on the same tab.

egeorgopoulos

@JackQuint Unfortunately that didn't work. 

@JackQuint wrote:

Try a network reset:

For Android: Settings->System(Advanced)->Reset Options->Reset Wi-Fi,mobile, & Bluetooth

You will lose saved WiFi networks and BT devices. Solves many connectivity problems. 

No need to do a network reset for a phone number change.

JackQuint
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Try a network reset:

egeorgopoulos

@stonechucker I did not get a new SIM after the original Public Mobile one I bought. Basically when I decided to use Public Mobile, I went and bought a SIM card, set up my account online, and chose one of the 825 numbers (as they were the only option). I then went into Self Serve and selected the Change My Number, and changed it to a 587 number. Now I cannot make or receive calls on the new 587 number it has given me. 

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@egeorgopoulos wrote:

I tried to change my phone number on Self-Serve by choosing a new number, it said it was successful and the number has changed on my account, but when I put the SIM in my phone none of my calls will go through. Why is this happening? Is there a delay after you change your phone number to when it works for calling?

I've just re-read your original post?  Did you get a new SIM?  If yes, did you change the SIM in your MyAccount area?

egeorgopoulos

@stonechucker I have restarted the phone with the SIM in it, and also restarted the phone with the SIM not in it. Neither have worked.

A power cycle should resolve this for you.

@egeorgopoulos wrote:

@geopublic Yes, when I log in to Self Serve it does show my new number. When I try to call the new number it says it is not in service.

@egeorgopoulos  Remove the sim and power down your phone for 10 minutes. If it works great, otherwise you will need to conatct PM to chek it from their end. 

To contact Public Mobile click here. The link  sends you to the private message function and adds the moderator team as recipient for a private message. You just have to enter a title and text in the body of the message describing the problem and post. The message will be received by the moderator team and they will respond to it. You will receive the response in your private message inbox.

Moderators are available: M-F from 8 AM to midnight Eastern time and S-S from 8 AM to 10 PM Eastern time.

Note: Moderator Hours are subject to change, but you can always find the current times here

Please note that account verification may be required when contacting the Moderator Team 

egeorgopoulos

@geopublic Yes, when I log in to Self Serve it does show my new number. When I try to call the new number it says it is not in service.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@egeorgopoulos wrote:

@egeorgopoulos  There shouldn't be a delay. When you login into selfserve under Plans & Add-ons does it show your new number? If you call the new number what happens?

hycm53
Mayor / Maire

@egeorgopoulos wrote:

Click your phone settings, click SIM card, put new number in. I hope will help you, just cross fingers

Need Help? Let's chat.