cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer Today & Wish To Change My Plan 4 Hours In

Skythings
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I just activated my phone today and everything is working well with the exception of an App on my phone.    It is a GPS tracker for my dog which uses cell technology for finding the gps and notifying my cell phone of the dogs position in real time.     

Today I went with a plan with 4 LTE data.    The App did not work very well this evening on it's test run.    I just looked at the gps tracker data and I see it works on 3G technology.    

So I figured I would switch my plan to a 3G data plan to see if this fixes my situation with the gps tracker App.    On the Publicmobile website I selected a different plan with 3G data and it appears that I will be charged another full month for the new plan.   Is this correct?

Basically I just want to modify my plan.

Any direction on this would be very helpful.     

14 REPLIES 14

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I could use this for certain people I know Smiley Mad

TheOldVR

Yey, the cat came back after a bit of an adventure!!!

We had a cat get out, poor thing stayed out all morning hiding in a bush.... only way we found her is that her tail was sticking out.

@Skythings thanks for the link - my girlfriend's cat took off the other day when we were distracted for 5 minutes.  She came back 4 hours later when it started pouring rain.

My girlfriend kept opening the door and calling for her.  The last time she opened the door, there was Bella dripping wet and covered in dirt.

I may invest in this - I will let you know, thanks for the referral offer 😉

Skythings

Its called Tractive.   Works amazing.   I live in a rural area which is mostly bush.   My dog is very young and likes to wander off or chase a scent or animal.    With this on his collar I can see exactly where he is.   On two occassions he got as far as 2 miles away from home and I was able to go directly to him.   One night the small tracker came off his collar and I was albe to find the small unit on the ground a night.  Its very accurate.   He is doing this less and less as he gets older but I still rely on this App for my peice of mind.

https://tractive.com/en-us/pd/gps-tracker?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI89zl5sPX4gIVhtdkCh3HKwd4EAAYASAAEgKIkvD_...

If you want to buy it please let me know and I will send your name to them online in as a referal and I get a discount on my next annual subscription much the same as Public Mobile.

surreyboz
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Skythings wrote:

So I just activated my phone today and everything is working well with the exception of an App on my phone.    It is a GPS tracker for my dog which uses cell technology for finding the gps and notifying my cell phone of the dogs position in real time.     

Today I went with a plan with 4 LTE data.    The App did not work very well this evening on it's test run.    I just looked at the gps tracker data and I see it works on 3G technology.    

So I figured I would switch my plan to a 3G data plan to see if this fixes my situation with the gps tracker App.    On the Publicmobile website I selected a different plan with 3G data and it appears that I will be charged another full month for the new plan.   Is this correct?

Changing your Plan from 4G LTE to 3G is not going to make a difference.  Even if you did do that you will still connect to LTE, just at a lower speed of 3Mbps.   What you can do is turn off LTE in your Phone settings which will move you onto 3G HSPA.  

surreyboz

@stonechucker wrote:

I've seen these trackers, and most of them are 2G devices, so 3G is actually a great value right now, as 2G is going to be gone shortly.

Rogers and I think Freedom are the only carriers who still have 2G.  Can you double check the specs on the tracker device?

Freedom does not have a 2G GSM Network nor did they ever have one. Just like Bellus. 

I've seen these trackers, and most of them are 2G devices, so 3G is actually a great value right now, as 2G is going to be gone shortly.

Rogers and I think Freedom are the only carriers who still have 2G.  Can you double check the specs on the tracker device?

TheOldVR

Switching to a 3G plan should not help much, what app, phone, and hardware are you using?

MandyJ

One thing you could try is changing your phone to it's 3G setting to see if it'll work better with your app. I'm not sure about the steps to do it on your phone, but in my phone's settings it's Settings>Mobile Networks>Network Mode. Then in there I can switch between LTE, 3G, 2G, etc. Could be worth a try...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skythings wrote:

Thank you for this information.   I will keep working with the App and I will make my changes at the end of the billing cycle.

Could you tell us what the app is and what the dog is wearing? I'm curious.

Skythings

Thank you for this information.   I will keep working with the App and I will make my changes at the end of the billing cycle.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

Yes if you change now you will be charged for the new plan and lose what you paid for your plan you are on now

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Skythings wrote:

There are no refunds or prorating here. If you do an immediate plan change, you are starting fresh with a new term.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@SkythingsYour app should not care whether the phone is 3G or LTE. Besides most areas Public is in LTE mode but throttled the data to 3G like speed. You can switch your phone's mode manually by going to 3G mode, usually in the phone's cellular settings.

You can easily change your plan by going to your selfserve account. Once you select the plan you want, you have the option to 1. Change the plan immediately.. ie means any money you paid for this month's plan will be forfeited since it is prepaid. 2. Change the plan at your next billing cycle ~30 days from now.

Need Help? Let's chat.